Gransnet forums

Webchats

The Hairy Bikers Q&A - ask a question by Thurs 16th Jan 12pm

(81 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 10-Jan-14 15:39:00

The Hairy Bikers, aka Si King & Dave Myers, whose recipes we LOVE, are coming in to GNHQ to do a Q&A for us. Excited - us? <tries to stop bouncing off walls>.

Apparently our hairiest of favourite bikers have launched their brand new Hairy Bikers’ Diet Club, "a website that offers all the tools you’ll ever need to get started on your weight-loss journey – and stay on it."

We've got 5 copies of their latest book The Hairy Dieters' Eat for Life along with a free 30 day subscription to the diet club to 5 lucky gransnetters who ask a question on the thread.

Btw, if Dave deigns to show us any dance moves we'll be sure to capture them on tape...

Get your questions in by Thurs 16th Jan, 12pm.

merlotgran Fri 10-Jan-14 15:47:58

YIPPEE! I love their Hairy Dieters cook book. DH is so stubborn when it comes to losing weight but he watched the TV series.

GrannyMilly Sat 11-Jan-14 14:33:29

I love food but I have been told to loose weight and sustain the loss you have eat and think about food like a slim person is this true? Can the biker boys reveal honestly how hard it's been to loose weight .

Thanks

Aka Sat 11-Jan-14 14:45:14

This book is great. There are some lovely recipes.

Galen Sat 11-Jan-14 15:08:51

I have your previous book and love it.
In what way is this different

sophie56 Sat 11-Jan-14 15:15:39

Can I have several questions please?!

Having lost weight, do the Hairy bikers feel healthier and has losing weight had any impact on their emotional well being?

What have been the hardest things about losing weight and has anything been easier than they had expected?

The current trend is to fast or to have two very low calorie days a week as a way of maintaining a healthy weight. What is the Bikers' opinion of this method and have they ever tried it?

rosemac6 Sat 11-Jan-14 15:33:42

What's the best kind of oil for salads I use Extra Virgin olive oil but anything that cuts down the calories is ok for me as long as it's tasty

pamelaJEAN Sat 11-Jan-14 15:39:14

I have a few questions is that is OK !!

Having lost 2 stone in weight with a well known Slimming Group..... I now seem to be losing interest....and long for biscuits and chocolates.... any suggestions.

My husband is not in good health , and is overweight, but come what may I can not stop him from snacking... he likes his bread, crisps etc.

I just love your programme, and it is the only cookery programme my husband will watch... hmmmmm I wonder why...your lovely bikes may have something to do with it...him being an ex old biker..

sherish Sat 11-Jan-14 15:55:23

How do you come up with the variations on old favourites such as the lasagne made with leeks? It really is inspirational and yummy!

Please give us more of this kind of dish, they really are life savers.

snowted Sat 11-Jan-14 16:04:16

Out of all the healthy things you've made, what's been your favourite!

mar30 Sat 11-Jan-14 16:18:46

What was the hardest thing to give up/eat less of and how did you make up for it/ Mine is cheese and low fat cheese doesn't make up for it!!

GeorgeBee Sat 11-Jan-14 17:20:46

What's your favourite 'healthy' comfort food??

Galen Sat 11-Jan-14 18:13:38

I really, really, really must lose about 3 stone but I don't seem to be able to motivate myself.
The fact I'm disabled and can't exercise (even less now after dislocating my shoulder) does not help.
What is this diet club of yours, and would it help me?

emmav6 Sat 11-Jan-14 18:55:20

Is it possible to have cheese when you are on a diet? what sort of cheese is best?

gd Sat 11-Jan-14 21:07:33

Don't you feel bad having made your names and money with books and TV programmes full of calorie-rich recipes to now flogging a book to get people to lose weight?

Gilla01 Sat 11-Jan-14 21:56:03

I really need to lose weight, but bread is my bugbear. Any tips on how I can cut bread out more, especially when I simply love toast.

NfkDumpling Sat 11-Jan-14 22:48:29

Best Beloved, who does the cooking now, is a great Hairy Biker fan and uses a lot of your recipes but the portions are so large. We find a serving for four does six portions. Are these measures for hulking great blokes?

We're not doing too well at loosing weight though. We fail abysmally on the resisting cheese front. I think we both need your diet club!

saurus Sun 12-Jan-14 07:56:32

I have been a yoyo dieter all my life - how easy do you find it to maintain your new svelte looks?!

goose1964 Sun 12-Jan-14 20:18:29

I would like to ask the Hairy bikers if they have anything against the south west? it seems they are either in the north or south east?

Versavisa Mon 13-Jan-14 07:55:16

Hi Si and Dave

I love the fact that neither of you were professional chefs before Hairy Bikers and that you came from a very different industry. I feel this inhibits you less and gives you more freedom to experiment.

Two questions please;

1. You have combined a love of food and travel in many different ways - any hints as to what's in the pipeline for future series or publications?

2. Why won't my husband buy me a Gold Wing?

salsquiggle Mon 13-Jan-14 11:03:38

I have no problem avoiding sweet foods and chocolate and am quite capable of healthy eating, but I really struggle with the portion sizes! How did you 2 overcome having so much less on your plates?

weevil Mon 13-Jan-14 11:41:04

Please please can you give me some ideas for evening meals that will actually fill me up. Hate going to bed hungry. I don't eat dairy. 500 cals max but 400 would be even better. Thank you so much

Pittcity Mon 13-Jan-14 15:04:41

When you weigh yourselves are you ever tempted to subtract a little to account for the weight of your hair?
My husband always goes to the toilet before a weigh in, but he is a bit follically challenged.

merlotgran Mon 13-Jan-14 19:00:54

Your Hairy Dieters weight loss programme has inspired others (particularly men) to lose weight but do you now feel you have a responsibility to maintain your own weight loss and not put it back on again? Dave, your appearance on Strictly showed that you are fitter now so will any future series take a different direction to the 'eat everything, food is great, the more calorific the better' programmes of the past?

The Hairy Bikers shows appealed because of your sense of fun around food. Can you still lark about in the kitchen while preparing a low cal salad?

In other words, What's next??

iMac Tue 14-Jan-14 12:59:39

Have you watched The Taste? Would you ever judge on a show like that?