Gransnet forums

Webchats

The Hairy Bikers Q&A - ask a question by Thurs 16th Jan 12pm

(82 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 10-Jan-14 15:39:00

The Hairy Bikers, aka Si King & Dave Myers, whose recipes we LOVE, are coming in to GNHQ to do a Q&A for us. Excited - us? <tries to stop bouncing off walls>.

Apparently our hairiest of favourite bikers have launched their brand new Hairy Bikers’ Diet Club, "a website that offers all the tools you’ll ever need to get started on your weight-loss journey – and stay on it."

We've got 5 copies of their latest book The Hairy Dieters' Eat for Life along with a free 30 day subscription to the diet club to 5 lucky gransnetters who ask a question on the thread.

Btw, if Dave deigns to show us any dance moves we'll be sure to capture them on tape...

Get your questions in by Thurs 16th Jan, 12pm.

HairyBikersDave Mon 20-Jan-14 14:15:05

caz123456

I'd like to know if they've both kept the weight off.

Yes we have, we both put on 3kg over Christmas, which we’re in the process of shifting! Back to our goal weight, which is a full 20kg less than our maximum weight when we were at our fattest.

HairyBikersDave Mon 20-Jan-14 14:15:52

EmmieH

Your recipes always look so delicious and some of them seem quite 'stodgy'. How easy is it to cook these dishes several times a week, but replace some of the ingredients with healthier ones to maintain a healthier lifestyle?

I agree and a lot of our early recipes were quite stodgy, and as we all know there’s nothing better than a sweet pudding. But by nature of our diet books, we have rewritten our recipes in a lighter, healthier, more fat-free way, which helps us maintain a healthier lifestyle.

HairyBikersDave Mon 20-Jan-14 14:16:22

linheiner

Be honest - do you ever feel like saying * dieting and healthy eating and having fish and chips from the chippie followed by a few pints down the pub?

Yes, very often I do have fish and chips, and a few pints now as I have my weight under control. But like most people, at the moment I could do with losing about 3kg due to Christmas binging so no chips for me this month!

HairyBikersDave Mon 20-Jan-14 14:16:44

KatyK

We went to see them in Birmingham on their two tours over the last few years. We enjoyed it immensely. Can I ask the Bikers if they enjoyed doing these live shows and were they nervous?

Yes we plan to do another tour starting at the end of 2015 into 2016. We loved doing the live theatres. We were nervous at first but once into the tour, it’s the best buzz ever.

HairyBikersDave Mon 20-Jan-14 14:17:05

kj19

milk, dark or white chocolate ;) x

Dark chocolate always for me. Even as a kid I prefered my Bournville.

HairyBikersSi Mon 20-Jan-14 14:17:23

sophie56

Can I have several questions please?!

Having lost weight, do the Hairy bikers feel healthier and has losing weight had any impact on their emotional well being?

What have been the hardest things about losing weight and has anything been easier than they had expected?

The current trend is to fast or to have two very low calorie days a week as a way of maintaining a healthy weight. What is the Bikers' opinion of this method and have they ever tried it?

Yes, for sure. I’ve struggled with my weight since I was young, so when I lost nearly four stone I felt a lot better about myself. My self esteem and confidence in my own body and what it could do physically was a revelation. I was more active with my children, and more motivated to do things with them, I have boundless energy. Having said that, if I can get a nap in the afternoon I’ll always take it!

The hardest thing about losing weight is changing your attitude towards the food you eat, for good. The easiest for me was after the initial three weeks. I got into the swing of it quicker than I thought I would.

Weight loss is a very individual journey. What works for some may not work for others. The most important thing about any healthy eating program is that it is sustainable over a protracted period of time. It’s not possible to change attitudes for life if you deny yourself the things that you love and that comfort you. So treating yourself is enormously important, but you can only do that once you reach your ideal weight. And if you take this equation you are way more likely to change your eating habits and attitudes towards food - for life. Lots of love, Si.

HairyBikersDave Mon 20-Jan-14 14:21:39

KJaybaby

Love the books and the series......

If you had to choose one recipe which you would recommend someone try to get them hooked on the books.... which would it be and why?

In the diet books, in Dieters 1, our crispy chicken is an amazing, clever recipe. In our new Asia book, our pork, tonkatsu from Tokyo is so ridiculously moreish. Even though there’s a lot shredded raw cabbage as a side dish.

HairyBikersDave Mon 20-Jan-14 14:22:03

iMac

Have you watched The Taste? Would you ever judge on a show like that?

No I haven’t had the chance to watch it yet. But as fans we wish Nigella all the luck in the world with the project. We probably would go on a show like that, given the opportunity.

HairyBikersSi Mon 20-Jan-14 14:22:34

rosemac6

What's the best kind of oil for salads I use Extra Virgin olive oil but anything that cuts down the calories is ok for me as long as it's tasty

My favourite oil for salads is actually extra virgin olive oil - I’m lucky as my sister sends me it from Italy. In addition, I also use rapeseed oil. We have some great manufacturers of rapeseed oil in the UK and they’re worth supporting. One of my other favourites is pumpkin seed oil. It’s difficult to find in the shops, but easy to find online and incredibly delicious.

HairyBikersDave Mon 20-Jan-14 14:22:46

merlotgran

Your Hairy Dieters weight loss programme has inspired others (particularly men) to lose weight but do you now feel you have a responsibility to maintain your own weight loss and not put it back on again? Dave, your appearance on Strictly showed that you are fitter now so will any future series take a different direction to the 'eat everything, food is great, the more calorific the better' programmes of the past?

The Hairy Bikers shows appealed because of your sense of fun around food. Can you still lark about in the kitchen while preparing a low cal salad?

In other words, What's next??

Our television career has been a really honest progression. We have a responsibility to maintain our weight-loss for our families and own health primarily. I am indeed a lot fitter thanks to Strictly, and I could have never done it before the diet. The truth is, if you get your weight under control and you exercise more, you can afford the occasional calorific binge and for that I will look to the earlier recipes which have stood the test of time.

HairyBikersDave Mon 20-Jan-14 14:23:11

weevil

Please please can you give me some ideas for evening meals that will actually fill me up. Hate going to bed hungry. I don't eat dairy. 500 cals max but 400 would be even better. Thank you so much

There are loads of recipes on our diet club and our books that for around 300 calories, will fill you up a treat. So with your calorie count, you can have double portion! Good luck and give them a go.

HairyBikersDave Mon 20-Jan-14 14:23:38

salsquiggle

I have no problem avoiding sweet foods and chocolate and am quite capable of healthy eating, but I really struggle with the portion sizes! How did you 2 overcome having so much less on your plates?

Daft as it sounds, step one is to get smaller plates! Pretty soon your brain and your belly both get use to smaller portions. It’s worth persevering.

HairyBikersSi Mon 20-Jan-14 14:23:54

pamelaJEAN

I have a few questions is that is OK !!

Having lost 2 stone in weight with a well known Slimming Group..... I now seem to be losing interest....and long for biscuits and chocolates.... any suggestions.

My husband is not in good health , and is overweight, but come what may I can not stop him from snacking... he likes his bread, crisps etc.

I just love your programme, and it is the only cookery programme my husband will watch... hmmmmm I wonder why...your lovely bikes may have something to do with it...him being an ex old biker..

Very quietly, and without his knowledge, go and purchase the two Hairy Dieters books and, in stealth, start to cook from them. This may seem an obvious statement, but if you don’t buy bread and crisps at the shops, then he can’t eat them can he! You may get it in the neck for a couple of days, but hold out, tell him how much you love him, and that you’re worried about his health. If this doesn’t work, let me know and I’ll come round and knock some sense into him! Lots of love, Si.

HairyBikersDave Mon 20-Jan-14 14:24:02

Versavisa

Hi Si and Dave

I love the fact that neither of you were professional chefs before Hairy Bikers and that you came from a very different industry. I feel this inhibits you less and gives you more freedom to experiment.

Two questions please;

1. You have combined a love of food and travel in many different ways - any hints as to what's in the pipeline for future series or publications?

2. Why won't my husband buy me a Gold Wing?

Next series is the Hairy Bikers Asian Adventure, book out 30 January, telly is on 13 February 8pm BBC2. It’s our biggest adventure yet. Your husband is right not to buy you a Gold Wing! You are far too young for one of these, go for something a bit more sporty. Ride safe.x

HairyBikersDave Mon 20-Jan-14 14:24:33

saurus

I have been a yoyo dieter all my life - how easy do you find it to maintain your new svelte looks?!

Due to the shock we had on the hairy dieters about the risks to our health, it’s helped amend a lot of our bad food habits. The biggest help has been weighing ourselves weekly and dealing with any increasing weight before the yoyo has swung too far. Remember yo-yos always bounce back!

HairyBikersSi Mon 20-Jan-14 14:24:50

mar30

What was the hardest thing to give up/eat less of and how did you make up for it/ Mine is cheese and low fat cheese doesn't make up for it!!

One of the hardest things to give up, for me, was cheese and wine. It was my mission to do without both for the first month of the diet and I succeeded. It was very difficult, but I felt enormously proud of myself when I fulfilled my goal. Now I have my wine (not quite as often as I’d like) and the odd nibble of cheese, which I enjoy immensely.

HairyBikersDave Mon 20-Jan-14 14:24:57

emmav6

Is it possible to have cheese when you are on a diet? what sort of cheese is best?

Cheese is the food I craved on a diet and there is no getting away from it. It’s made of fat! If you are going to eat cheese the least calorific is feta cheese, followed surprisingly by soft cheeses such as brie, our good old cheddar is one of the most fattening.

HairyBikersDave Mon 20-Jan-14 14:25:22

Galen

I really, really, really must lose about 3 stone but I don't seem to be able to motivate myself.
The fact I'm disabled and can't exercise (even less now after dislocating my shoulder) does not help.
What is this diet club of yours, and would it help me?

Yes I believe the Diet Club could help, and it is difficult if you find exercise impossible. However, on the Diet Club, we have exercise programmes to suit most people. The great thing about the Diet Club is it’s ours, not run by an anonymous computer. We care about what’s in it and our members. The forums are great for company and giving you motivation and support. Better still we have a buddy system where you can join with a friend and we find this makes things easier. Good luck!

HairyBikersSi Mon 20-Jan-14 14:25:28

GeorgeBee

What's your favourite 'healthy' comfort food??

Tandooris of all descriptions. Make with fat-free yoghurt and spices. Epic.

HairyBikersDave Mon 20-Jan-14 14:25:50

HairyBikersSi

GeorgeBee

What's your favourite 'healthy' comfort food??

Tandooris of all descriptions. Make with fat-free yoghurt and spices. Epic.

Popcorn is great, especially some of the new ones with interesting flavours. It’s not too bad for you and it satisfies the crispy cravings.

Galen Mon 20-Jan-14 15:20:24

Very good. Nice sensible advice. Than you.

Brabant Fri 24-Jan-14 12:12:48

Sensible advice from honest people. Thanks.

I hate exercise. No reason why I cannot do it except for the fact that I really HATE it. I loathe all sport! I bought myself an exercise walker thingy, used it for a bit then hated that too. Is exercise sooooo vital? Just eating less surely is enough? Please, pretty please.

shabby Fri 24-Jan-14 20:01:32

Not a big fan of their TV series but love the recipes in The Hairy Dieters cook book. Good portions and delicious filling food - unlike many other healthy eating recipes. Just going to eat their cod and prawn gratin!

Galen Fri 24-Jan-14 20:41:03

Had their mussels and leeks last night. Gorgeous, and really filling!grin

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 31-Jan-14 13:23:00

Bit slow at GNHQ. As it's still technically Jan, are we allowed to blame the Christmas/NY hangover for a few more hours? wine

Winners of the cookbooks + diet club 30 day trial have been selected. Congratulations to Sophie56, pamelaJEAN, Galen, Versavisa and kmries. Please check your emails for details.