Gransnet forums

Webchats

Penelope Lively webchat 7 August

(79 Posts)
KatGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 07-Jul-14 16:12:36

In this powerful and compelling 'view from old age', Penelope Lively, at 80, reports back on what she finds. There are meditations on what it is like to be old as well as on how memory shapes us. There are intriguing examinations of key personal as well as historical moments she has lived through and her thoughts on her own bookishness - both as reader and writer. Lastly, she turns to six treasured possessions to speak eloquently about who she is and where she's been - fragments of memories from a life well lived.

We're giving away 50 copies of Ammonites & Leaping Fish by Penelope Lively - just fill in the form here.

'fraid all the free copies are gone, but for those who receive and read the book (and indeed anyone else!!), please do post your questions and comments for Penelope on this thread. She'll be answering your questions on 7 August 1-2pm.

GigiGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 07-Aug-14 14:44:33

Thanks to everyone for their lovely comments and questions. Penelope loved them all and has taken away a print out of everything to read through again later! Hope you enjoyed the book and her thoughtful answers. She's off to do some gardening but said a big thanks to you all x

dartmoordogsbody Thu 07-Aug-14 19:43:02

Thank you, Gransnet, for this thoughtful book, and to Penelope Lively, too. I have found it very resonant with much of my own experience and I particularly enjoyed the structure, which is almost a non-structure. I know this was a conscious decision and for me, it works well.

I was interested in those 'leaping fish', which are lovely, but I suspect are meant to represent the astrological sign of Pisces, the two fish swimming in opposite directions. I am particularly intrigued that they are so treasured, because Penelope Lively's birth sign is Pisces. Perhaps an instinctive attraction to an ancient but appropriate symbol?

Stansgran Sat 09-Aug-14 09:23:38

I was talking about this book to my 40year old DD and she was appalled at my question about the book cover. I am so relieved that it wasn't dismissed. I read the part about myopia last night and realised how much I appreciated (I read with a book close to my nose) putting out my hand and picking it up from the pile just by texture. I loved reading the replies. Thank you gransnet for a really good grown up thread.