Gransnet forums

Webchats

Paul McKenna webchat - 3 things that will change your destiny

(38 Posts)
LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 30-Dec-14 14:52:49

Hurrah - world-renowned hypnotherapist and self-improvement writer and speaker Paul McKenna will be back in the building and answering your questions for a second time on 13 January!

Paul will be answering questions on his new book The 3 Things That Will Change Your Destiny Today - a new system that aims to help readers release their true potential and gain more power over the direction of their lives.

A little bit about Paul...

In 1993 his first TV series, The Hypnotic World of Paul McKenna was broadcast on ITV and the programme was subsequently shown in 42 countries, attracting an audience of 200 million and being nominated for the Golden Rose of Montreaux in 1994 and 1995.

In the mid 1990s Paul founded Paul McKenna Training with Richard Bandler, the co-founder of Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP), which became the biggest hypnosis and NLP training company in the world.

In 2005 Paul McKenna’s Sky One show, I Can Change Your Life saw him helping people overcome phobias and compulsions. In 2006 his second programme for Sky, I Can Make You Thin, was phenomenally successful and had several re-runs on Sky One as a result of its popularity.

Paul is the UK's most successful non-fiction author and his motivational books Change Your Life in Seven Days and Instant Confidence both went straight into the top 10 and continue to be massive bestsellers. I Can Make You Thin is the biggest selling self-help book in British history. His other successful titles include Quit Smoking Today Without Gaining Weight, How to Mend Broken Heart, I Can Make You Rich, and most recently I Can Make You Happy, which reached number one in the UK paper back charts in January 2011.

Leave your question for Paul below and join us at midday on 13 January to hear the answer, join the discussion or ask another question.

Anne58 Tue 30-Dec-14 23:18:47

Paul, do you think that having 2 goals, i.e. wanting to lose weight and give up smoking, would be too much to tackle together?

I know that you have written a book "Quit Smoking Today Without Gaining Weight" but what would you advise someone who wants to quit smoking and lose a stone or two?

I'm not obese, but have gone from a size 10/12 to a 14 over the last year or so. I previously did a Slimming World plan, which was successful, the idea being that when I got to my target weight, I would then tackle the smoking, but after being made redundant it all seems to have fallen by the wayside!

loopylou Wed 31-Dec-14 20:26:04

Snap! phoenix that is truly creepy, echoing my situation exactly......
Very interested in this too Paul, have stopped smoking several times using your book / willpower but lapsed after months, can you give me any advice please?

sunseeker Fri 02-Jan-15 16:29:39

Do you think there are some people who just can't be hypnotised? I have tried your CD for sleeping and I have also been to a practitioner all to no avail. I am something of a control freak and as a result don't think I allow myself to be hypnotised.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 05-Jan-15 11:28:28

We should add that Paul also has a new phone app out that's rather timely for those of us who overindulged slightly (ahem) over the festive period. It's called 'The Hypnotic Gastric Band' and "can help to convince the unconscious mind that a gastric band has been fitted, so the body behaves exactly as if it were physically present." So if that's of interest here's your chance to find out more!

gillybob Mon 05-Jan-15 11:34:12

Hi Paul

I wonder if you could suggest anything to help me please, although I think I am probably a hopeless case and maybe a magician is what I really need????

I am 53, my husband is 63 and we have been running a small business for over 20 years (Control systems/electrical engineering) we are working harder and longer hours than ever before and have virtually nothing to show for it. We sold our previous house and downsized to keep the company afloat and sold our precious static caravan too (I cried for the caravan but not the house). We often go without wages in order to keep our employees and get through hard times and couldn't bear to make anyone redundant. Additionally I am the main carer to my 98 year old (very demanding) grandma who lives alone. My mum is severly disabled and I care for my three grandchildren 2 days a week. Sometimes I feel that my life is not my own. I have no power to do anything "I want to do". Don't get me wrong I don't begrudge my commitments, I just wish I could occasionally take control and put my foot down. I don't know how much longer I can go on like this.

I did say I was probably a hopeless case !

confused

plonksy Tue 06-Jan-15 15:50:41

Hello Paul I would love to know about the virtual gastric band. I am stuck in a cycle of yoyo dieting. Lose it. Put it on. Depressed about starting all over again. My will power seems to have deserted me and I find it impossible to meditate or take control of whatever it is that is compelling me into this cycle. Please help

Marmight Tue 06-Jan-15 17:50:40

'Mend a Broken Heart'? You can do that? hmm Mine is broken - widowed too early and too suddenly. So what can you do for me! I wait with baited breath ......................

henetha Wed 07-Jan-15 11:20:54

Hi Paul,
How can we control obsessing? Those grasshoppers in the brain at 3 am that will not stop hopping about? Can we switch them off?
Thank you....

milkbottle Wed 07-Jan-15 11:31:03

I would like to ask about stress - specifically my husband's. He works too hard and doesn't sleep enough (insists that there is no point in going to bed early as it means he will wake early) and it's really taking over. What can I do to help him?

cathymcd Wed 07-Jan-15 11:32:44

If I recall correctly last time you came to Gransnet you said something about do you own the chocolate or does the chocolate own you? I have given this great thought and conclude (alas) that the chocolate owns me. I seem to be able to take control of everything else but not this. Help!

aspiringauthor Wed 07-Jan-15 11:40:04

I have always wanted to write a book. I have the idea. I have made notes. I'm keener than anything to make this happen. But every time I settle down to it I find my motivation deserts me. It's so frustrating because I really do want to achieve this - I wonder whether motivation is actually the problem or whether this stems from a lack of confidence instead? Either way any tips would be great - it would be awful to think I had never even tried in the end

posie Wed 07-Jan-15 22:40:55

Not sure where to start but at 60yrs old I find myself living on my own, anxious & totally lacking in self confidence.

I've been having counselling & have realised that at the age of 16 I went from living with dominating parents to living with a dominating, controlling Husband that was 25yrs older than me.

Two yrs ago he was diagnosed with Alzheimers & 5months ago after attacking me he was sectioned. Initially I was relieved but that was very short lived & I have found it very tough & hard to cope on my own.

I've been his carer for the last 15yrs but now I will have to look for a job. I don't have any qualifications or much experience & feel panicky at the thought of it all.

Although in theory I now have the chance at last to go out & do what I want, I don't know what that is or how to go about it?

I feel as though I'm still stuck on the inside as the shy inexperienced 16yr old.
Am I a lost cause? Is it too late?

anniezzz09 Wed 07-Jan-15 23:48:59

Dear Posie, my heart goes out to you. I'm sure 60 is not too old and that in time you'll find a way forward and some fulfilling activities. I hope Paul has some good suggestions. Enjoy your freedom.

anniezzz09 Wed 07-Jan-15 23:59:01

I've had some hypnotherapy and I found it really useful. In the past it was about self confidence and then more recently for fear of flying which was stunningly successful.
I suppose what I wonder is, if our subconscious is there to protect us and we don't know what might be hidden away from our conscious mind, does hypnotherapy actually change these hidden things? And what is the relationship with willpower? Eg if we eat chocolate to satisfy an emotional need although we might know consciously it isn't good for us in various ways, does the emotional need go away with hypnotherapy or does it just get transferred to something else?

I do like the idea of still having a destiny in my 60s!

PPP Thu 08-Jan-15 20:19:00

Hello Paul

Do you have a cure for life long insomnia? The only thing that works is sleeping pills. Have tried CBT, yoga, meditation and all the usual ridiculous things such as herbs and soothing drinks. Would hypnosis help?

joanfdunlop Fri 09-Jan-15 00:23:17

How do you mend broken heart?

jose Sat 10-Jan-15 21:51:47

I have used Paul's relaxation CD for a few years now, it has been very helpful. Must admit I have never heard the whole of the CD, as I have dropped of to sleep. Have nothing but praise.

KatyK Sun 11-Jan-15 13:21:01

Hello Paul

I am 65. I have never had any confidence and get very anxious about the slightest thing. My upbringing was quite horrible and I have suffered quite a few traumas in later life. It would be nice, at this stage in my life, to let go of the past and be happier. Can this be done do you think?

GranNanLyn Mon 12-Jan-15 15:08:39

Hi Paul I have just listened to your cd from 3 things to change your destiny. I find it very difficult to visualise I feel there is a block could my tinnitus have something to do with this? I will keep preserving but if you have any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 13-Jan-15 11:55:00

Paul is just about to arrive at HQ and is yours for the next hour. Don't forget to leave your questions below!

PaulMcKenna Tue 13-Jan-15 12:14:53

phoenix

Paul, do you think that having 2 goals, i.e. wanting to lose weight and give up smoking, would be too much to tackle together?

I know that you have written a book "Quit Smoking Today Without Gaining Weight" but what would you advise someone who wants to quit smoking and lose a stone or two?

I'm not obese, but have gone from a size 10/12 to a 14 over the last year or so. I previously did a Slimming World plan, which was successful, the idea being that when I got to my target weight, I would then tackle the smoking, but after being made redundant it all seems to have fallen by the wayside!

I think having 2 goals is a good thing but trying to do them both at the same time might be too much, in fact if you want to tackle any big goal it's best to break it down into small steps. Giving up smoking is a good idea as, whilst it may relax you, there are long term negative health consequences. I strongly recommend hypnosis for this, in fact if you go to iTunes you'll find you can download my audio programme and this is much cheaper than hypnosis.

Indeed a recent research study showed that hypnosis is by far the best way to quit smoking, and sometimes you need to reinforce the hypnosis by listening to the trance several times over a few weeks. But if you download the audio programme you'll have me on tap 24 hours a day. I can't make you stop smoking, but I can help to make it easier and that's what this programme does. If you want to lose weight, I have 3 books, but I would highly recommend my hypnotic gastric band app - I'll hypnotise you to think that your stomach has shrunk from the size of a melon to the size of a tennis ball, so you feel full faster.

PaulMcKenna Tue 13-Jan-15 12:17:19

loopylou

Snap! phoenix that is truly creepy, echoing my situation exactly......
Very interested in this too Paul, have stopped smoking several times using your book / willpower but lapsed after months, can you give me any advice please?

It's very common to take several attempts to quit smoking, and when some people say to me that they failed to quit smoking, I ask them, 'so you didn't stop even for a few minutes?' And they reply, 'no I stopped for several months', So I say to them that if you can stop for several months, several times, you can stop for several years.

So don't beat yourself up if you start smoking again, some people can take several tries to quit smoking and it can be stressful times or difficult situations that can make them start again. If this is the case, I recommend to them the same advice that I gave Phoenix, which is to download my app: Quit Smoking Today Without Gaining Weight, which you can get from iTunes. It's much cheaper than going to see a hypnotherapist and you'll have me on tap 24-hours a day if you feel the urge to start again. Good luck, and Happy New Year!

PaulMcKenna Tue 13-Jan-15 12:20:15

sunseeker

Do you think there are some people who just can't be hypnotised? I have tried your CD for sleeping and I have also been to a practitioner all to no avail. I am something of a control freak and as a result don't think I allow myself to be hypnotised.

I've never met anybody who can't be hypnotised but not everyone can be cured of every problem, every time. However, I understand that you've tried my sleep CD and you've also seen a practitioner - may I recommend my new I Can Make You Sleep app, which you can get from iTunes. I'm very proud of this new product, it takes all of my best tips for helping people to get to sleep and puts them on your computer or smartphone. It makes you feel very relaxed before you go to sleep and also helps if you wake in the night and need to get back to sleep. Not only that, a good night's sleep isn't just about the hours you get, its about the quality of the sleep. The app is very interactive so I'll be asking you to chart your progress over 7 days. While I cannot guarantee this will work, I think it's a potentially very inexpensive solution. Good luck and I hope you're sleeping better soon.

PaulMcKenna Tue 13-Jan-15 12:20:47

gillybob

Hi Paul

I wonder if you could suggest anything to help me please, although I think I am probably a hopeless case and maybe a magician is what I really need????

I am 53, my husband is 63 and we have been running a small business for over 20 years (Control systems/electrical engineering) we are working harder and longer hours than ever before and have virtually nothing to show for it. We sold our previous house and downsized to keep the company afloat and sold our precious static caravan too (I cried for the caravan but not the house). We often go without wages in order to keep our employees and get through hard times and couldn't bear to make anyone redundant. Additionally I am the main carer to my 98 year old (very demanding) grandma who lives alone. My mum is severly disabled and I care for my three grandchildren 2 days a week. Sometimes I feel that my life is not my own. I have no power to do anything "I want to do". Don't get me wrong I don't begrudge my commitments, I just wish I could occasionally take control and put my foot down. I don't know how much longer I can go on like this.

I did say I was probably a hopeless case !

confused

Hi gillybob, it sounds like you are a very caring person and you want the best for those around you, but if you're not in good shape because you're overwhelmed at times, then you're not in a position to help others the best way you can. Sometimes the best thing you can do for others is to put yourself first. If you need a little extra help, may I suggest that you go to iTunes and download my app I Can Make You Confident. This can help you become more assertive and stronger in yourself so that you can make the right decisions.