Gransnet forums

Webchats

Webchat with Deputy Labour Leader Harriet Harman MP; THURSDAY 12 FEBRUARY 12-1pm

(47 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 11-Feb-15 09:21:15

Mumsnet are hosting a live webchat with Harriet Harman tomorrow (Thurs 12th) and we have the opportunity to hand over some questions from gransnetters too.

Harriet is Shadow Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, and Shadow Deputy Prime Minister. She was first elected as an MP aged 32 when she was 7 months pregnant, and her long-term campaigning interests include gender equality, better maternity pay and conditions, and women-only shortlists. She was also chair of the Commission on Older Women

So do add your questions and we will feed them over to her tomorrow lunchtime.

whenim64 Wed 11-Feb-15 09:57:22

I'd like to know why, when Ms Harman and the other MPs of all parties now know the public's view on their behaviour on TV and in the House, they continue to avoid questions asked of them by using up time to slag off the other parties or speaking about anything but what was asked of them? We're getting weary of that sort of 'witty rhetoric' and frustrating interviews that leave us knowing nothing about what they're doing or planning. Is it ever going to change?

Gracesgran Wed 11-Feb-15 11:13:17

If Labour is in government (with or without another party), will they keep the triple lock on pensions?

This is the only way that the poorest of those who are losing the Pension Savings Credit will creep into the Pension Guarantee Credit. If this doesn't happen, yet again while pensioners with capital will benefit from the new savings bond for the over 65s, it will be paid for by those who are one step away from the poorest pensioners who are only getting 87p increase in pension payment this year and, it appears, for some years to come until they loose it all.

Gracesgran Wed 11-Feb-15 11:23:53

Could I also ask Ms Harman why the Labour Party has ceased to oppose the obscene accumulation of capital by some people whilst worshiping the god of "the economy" which has become shorthand for capitalist reasoning.

Surely "the economy" is about more than starving people into working for very little but should also be about encouraging growth. If I, as an individual, was in debt, I would be told to try and increase my income as well as pay off my debt (highest interest firstsmile) as quickly as I could while maintaining my ability to earn. It would not be suggested that I pay so much that I could not afford to get to work or sustain myself.

I'm beginning to wish I could vote SNP. Perhaps they should put up candidates in England as Labour is far too signed up to the Conservative austerity programme.

Gracesgran Wed 11-Feb-15 11:26:37

Could I also ask Ms Harman what her view is on devolving down power to the regions of England.

Thank you - it is lovely to have an MP who is willing to answer (I hope) direct questions.

gillybob Wed 11-Feb-15 11:30:57

Hello Ms Harman

As a small business owner I am well aware that spending money you haven't got can have serious consequences. If they did win the next election what would the Labour party to do to ensure we don't go back to the days of spend, spend, spend and the creation of thousands of public sector "non-jobs"?

Soutra Wed 11-Feb-15 11:59:04

Do you think women are going to feel empowered and encouraged to vote on account of a pink "battle bus"? (and don't tell me it is magenta or cerise or any of the other 50 Shades of Pink). I feel patronised and alienated as would most women I know. There is a powerful campaign against "girly" versions of toys ( Pink Stinks ) and IMHO the modern Labour Party should not be marginalising any sector of the population. It is all too "Calm down, dear!"

Anya Wed 11-Feb-15 12:55:19

That can't be happening Soutra surely not?

Tell me it's not true shock

Soutra Wed 11-Feb-15 13:06:57

Radio 4 TODAY, and national newspapers. "Woman ➡️Woman" is the slogan I believe. shock

POGS Wed 11-Feb-15 13:24:40

Good morning.

Do you ever feel uncomfortable when either your benches in Parliament, MP's at interviews and I have even heard you yourself comment on the Tories being the party of the 'posh' and public school brigade when you are known to be equally from a similar background. Or is it different because whilst you also had a 'fee paying' education you went to York university not Cambridge and Oxford.

Do you not think most of the electorate see ministers such as Patrick McLoughlin, a former farmer/coal miner., Sajid Javid, Mike Penning, former soldier/fire fighter and wonder why Labour continue with this class warfare rhetoric.

It just seems so hypocritical of one party to challenge another and dismiss their own members whether it be on matters of private education, personal wealth or past life/working experience.

So how does Labour define 'posh' and why does it matter?

Also if I may, whilst others did say sorry for their connections to the Peadophile Information Exchange you and your husband never felt the need. I accept that is because you feel there was nothing to apologise for but do you think that the Paedophile Information Exchange will be examined by Judge Goddard in her inquiry and do you believe that for the sake of transparency any MP or person found guilty should be named as I am concerned at least one MP is avoiding possible prosecution due to his age and health , I am sure you know who I am referring to, I use to live in Leicester, yet for others there has been no concern of their health as with Lord macAlpine and Leon Brittan.

Thank you.

trisher Wed 11-Feb-15 14:01:05

Why, when there is so much opposition across the country as evidenced through 38degrees, and a great many charities, does her party continue to support TTIP legislation?

TerriBull Wed 11-Feb-15 14:01:52

Whilst I would like to see more women in Parliament, I don't like "women only shortlists". If you are to endorse such a measure, why was it suspended when your husband stood for election as an MP, and would that be likely to happen again should another male member of your family be seeking a parliamentary seat?

gillybob Wed 11-Feb-15 14:06:28

The very bus Soutra and Anya shock

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2948893/Labour-s-women-PINK-bus-decision-says-Harriet-Harman-says-politics-important-left-men.html

Anya Wed 11-Feb-15 14:10:37

A Barbie Bus! grin.

Wow! So in touch with the Common People wink

GrannyTwice Wed 11-Feb-15 15:05:22

I'd like to know how on earth 'Granny Bonds, free bus passes, TV licences, winter fuel allowances,can be justified for all pensioners regardless of income? Will you continue with them all?

GrannyTwice Wed 11-Feb-15 15:07:51

Oh PIGs, POGs, POGs - I SO remember your dismissal of Alan Johnson as just a ' postie' - kettle, pot, black!!!

GrannyTwice Wed 11-Feb-15 15:08:17

Sorry not PIGS - POGS

POGS Wed 11-Feb-15 15:42:17

GrannyTwice

I have never dismissed Alan Johnson as a postman!

I like Alan Johnson. I have used his name alongside the likes of Kate Hoey, Frank Field, Gisela Stuart as Labour MP's I like.

Are you referring to a post where I was calling Labour for using class warfare and criticising the Tories for having 'posh boys, all privately educated' in government. I did say that I don't care what an MP's background is, it is their ability to do the job that counts. I did go on to mention Alan Johnson when he was made Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer and openly stated 'well, l will have to read up on some books won't I'

Ii don't think your 'fraudient' slip has gone unnoticed by many!

weaselywood Wed 11-Feb-15 15:46:37

i'd like to ask you about your role as chair of the Commission for Older Women. What did you learn from this role and what changes would you like to see implemented?

Do you agree that older women often get a raw deal because of the way they are portrayed in/treated by the media?

sunseeker Wed 11-Feb-15 16:14:05

Would you not agree that the public would be better served if MPs had worked in a "proper" job before standing for office. By that I don't mean working as a researcher for an MP or anywhere within the cloistered halls of parliament, but out in the real world.

KatyK Wed 11-Feb-15 17:21:33

I too felt very patronised by the pink campaign bus. Why did the party think this was a good idea? In my opinion it shows how out of touch most politicians are.

Gracesgran Wed 11-Feb-15 18:02:32

Just to let you know, I don't mind what colour the bus is as long as more women sign up to vote and make the issues they would like addressed known.

rosequartz Wed 11-Feb-15 19:00:29

PINK!!! For your campaign bus. What were you thinking?

Don't get me wrong, I do like pink (as long as it a strong pink) but a lot of females grow out of everything pink by the time they are 7 or 8.

And I do like other colours too - even red!

rosequartz Wed 11-Feb-15 19:01:28

I do like Alan Johnson. But perhaps it is just the charisma.

Iam64 Wed 11-Feb-15 19:29:41

Harriet, how can you defend the pink bus? It's patronising

I remain disappointed that you didn't address the PIE issue (POGS post above) clearly when it was the subject of media reports last year. It's important to stress I don't believe for one moment that you supported this organisations aims during that period.