Gransnet forums

Webchats

Fashion and style Q&A with Alyson Walsh

(48 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

LautelGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 26-Feb-15 15:15:13

Join us for a Q&A with Style Forever Author Alyson Walsh, and you could win one of three copies of her guide to style for grown-ups! Leave a question for Alyson until March 13.

"Say hello to generation FAB (Fifty And Beyond). Age is all the rage and no one understands this more than former fashion editor Alyson Walsh, who believes you don’t have to have youth to have style. The author of the successful style blog That’s Not My Age, has culminated her years of wardrobe wisdom and experience to bring you a definitive guide to staying stylish forever.

Style Forever is for any woman who refuses to be invisible and this clothes compendium puts the FAB into fabulous. In her friendly and engaging way, Alyson unveils essential tips on colour coordination, the art of layering and what makes up your ‘Wardrobe Glue’. From scent sense to skincare, makeup to dressing up, discover what glamorous group you fit into - whether a Fabulous Femme or a Scandinista, a Superpower Dresser or an Ageless Rocker.

With wonderful illustrations by Leo Greenfield and advice from industry experts and role models – including interviews with Iris Apfel, Kay Montano, Lauren Laverne, Sue Krietzman, Wendy Dagworthy and Ruby Hammer– you’ll soon be forgetting the frump and embracing the fabulous fripperies that will help maintain your Style Forever.

About the author
Alyson Walsh is a former fashion editor for Good Housekeeping magazine; a regular feature writer for the Guardian, Financial Times ‘How To Spend It’, Saga Magazine and All About You. Alyson started her successful style blog, That’s Not My Age, six years ago in order to celebrate the creed that ‘style is forever’. Here she explores how the topics of fashion, age and culture are connected. She has since developed a sizeable online presence and a loyal group of followers. Alyson has also appeared on BBC News and BBC Radio 4’s Woman’s Hour with Jenni Murray."

Style Forever by Alyson Walsh is published by Hardie Grant and is priced £12.99. It will be released on 12th March.

Magrithea Mon 02-Mar-15 14:57:07

Can you give us 50+ ladies any ideas where we can buy clothes?! I am at my wits ends trying to find things that are to my liking, comfortable, stylish and not what my daughter/neices would be wearing. M&S are a dead loss and I'm finding it harder and harder to find things.

Soutra Tue 03-Mar-15 09:20:20

Magrithea I find it hard to believe you have difficulty finding clothes for "over 50's" DH wishes I (67 next week) had that problem!
Depending on your budget, Bon Marche do good cheap jeans, as do of course Gap. Look at M&Co ( used to be Mackays, I have shopped there since my 30's) There are shops and outlets in stores like Phase Eight, CC, Viyella, EAST, Mint Velvet all of which offer flattering/classic/unusual/unique clothes for all shapes and sizes. If you do not live near a suitable shopping centre or hate schlepping round the shops, look online.
(Sorry for pre empting Alyson's response!)

Coolgran65 Tue 03-Mar-15 14:15:01

Oh my...... I have no problem finding fashionable clothes for suitable for my 65 years... A mix of eBay, on line stores, Outlet centres, M & S... etc. etc.

Pittcity Tue 03-Mar-15 17:35:30

I have just read that skinnies are out and flares are back. Should we wear them and what with?

Soutra Wed 04-Mar-15 14:47:36

I misread that as "skinniest are out and fatties are back in" if only!!grin

Candelle Fri 06-Mar-15 14:32:01

My weight zigzags up (illness, inactivity, steroids and oh yes, greed) and down (realisation of damage done).

Alyson, would you have suggestions as to how to hide wrinkled limbs?! Particularly in hot weather putting these weathered creatures on show is off-putting and that's just to me, let alone any other poor soul who has to look in their direction!

The winter is obviously perfect for wrapping up warmly, also known as hiding the wobbly bits but the summer is a different scenario...

Cardigans/tights look very odd in a heatwave!

Thanks

kittylester Wed 11-Mar-15 06:33:46

Further up this thread I mentioned that I had read the article in the DM and, taking the advice on board, I have been trying to find a silk shirt, with no success at all. Can you suggest where I can look and what colour would be good? Thank you.

GigiGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 13-Mar-15 13:36:03

Thanks for all your great style questions, we're sending them off to Alyson today so watch this space next week for the answers!

gillybob Mon 23-Mar-15 10:03:50

Just wondered, what happened to the answers?

AlysonWalsh Mon 23-Mar-15 14:40:37

gillybob

Hello Alyson

I am 53 and feel like I no longer have a "style" at all. I just seem to throw stuff together. Sometimes they go, sometimes they probably don't. I am on quite a tight budget clothes wise so cannot afford to keep up with top fashion so I try to get little bits such as scarves just to brighten older things up a bit. I'm not very good at putting an outfit together and to be honest I'm not sure where to start so tend to just throw on a pair of skinnies and a tunic or baggy shirt/top whatever the occasion. I love colours but can never seem to get a good co-ordination so always opt for the safe option.I am reasonably slim (size 12) but don't have much of a figure to speak of as I am quite flat chested and have very little in the bum and hip area. Any advice on how to begin putting outfits together would be great. I would also love to learn how to "layer" successfully without looking like a bag lady!

Thank you.

Hello Gillybob,

For advice on layering without looking like a Bag Lady, check out Eileen Fisher's website. The American designer is an expert and has made a couple of online videos featuring advice on 'how to get the look'. I'd recommend opting for head-to-toe matching colour to create a flattering column shape. Or choose colours that work together like denim with navy, navy and white, black and khaki/camel, if that sounds a bit sensible then add a colourful t-shirt (red goes with most of these combinations) or some leopard print. Then pile on the bling-tastic jewellery or a bright scarf. With layers, either a necklace that sits at the base of the neck or a longer Chatelaine style is best.

AlysonWalsh Mon 23-Mar-15 14:41:50

Galen

I'm an overweight fat. Long white haired 70 year old. Very arthritic and feeling ancient. I'm about 5' 7" tall and have blue grey eyes.
Do you have any advice for me?

Galen, take a look at the Advanced Style blog. It celebrates 'stylish and creative older folks' and all the wonderful, exuberant characters will fill you with joy. There's a film too.

AlysonWalsh Mon 23-Mar-15 14:43:01

rubysong

I have recently unearthed an alpaca (tweed type) poncho edged with fringing which D H brought back from his Royal Navy travels years ago. I am 63. Do you think ponchos are only for the young, or can I get away with it? People do admire it but I wonder if they are thinking it looks a bit like mutton dressed as lamb.

Hello Ruby,

Ponchos aren't just for the young, Clint Eastwood was 41 when he wore one in Dirty Harry! And there were lots of ponchos and capes around last autumn – including on the Burberry catwalk – so, I like the sound of your tweed version and if friends are being complimentary then obviously you look good in it. Think modern not mutton and wear a poncho with a pair of slim-leg trousers/jeans and heeled ankle boots.

AlysonWalsh Mon 23-Mar-15 14:44:46

Gagagran

I love Judy Dench's style and clothes and would love to find a source of clothing like hers. Any ideas where I could try? (Prefer online shopping due to mobility problems).

loopylou is absolutely right, Hampstead Bazaar always has a picture of 'living legend' Dame Judi in the window. Last time I walked past, I noticed they'd painted a quote on the exterior wall too, "When I am in a panic and in a hurry to go out, I can't go wrong with a dress from Bazaar."

The beaded coats and dresses JD wears on the red carpet are bespoke and quite expensive - but her Best Exotic Marigold Hotel look is quite easy to replicate. For the bohemian, layered daytime look, try East, Mint Velvet or Eileen Fisher. Keep it simple with a navy silk tunic and pair of midnight cotton twill trousers from Winser London, and just add a beautiful silk scarf.

AlysonWalsh Mon 23-Mar-15 14:56:23

KatyK

I am 65, reasonably slim, 5ft 6 tall. I have always loved clothes and kept up with latest trends in the past. After a traumatic event in my life I have sort of 'lost it' regarding clothes, as that was the least of my problems. I now feel able to get my act together again but no longer know what suits me. When I was working I always loved smart suits, pencil skirts, classic blouses etc but have no idea how to get back there if that makes sense. I will try something on in a shop and think it looks fine but then if I see a photograph of myself in it or even if I go out somewhere and there is a full length mirror I think 'what were you thinking?' Have you any tips? Thank you?

Hello Katy,

Lots of French women are very classic and we love the way they dress – so I don't think you've lost it, you just need a more relaxed approach to go with a new lifestyle. My favourite way of dressing is to mix smarter pieces with more relaxed styles; so a neat blazer with jeans and a colourful scarf or an elegant silk blouse with a pair of simple black trousers and a statement necklace. Make like a French Femme and keep it simple then pile on the accessories to liven things up a bit.

AlysonWalsh Mon 23-Mar-15 14:59:10

kittylester

Further up this thread I mentioned that I had read the article in the DM and, taking the advice on board, I have been trying to find a silk shirt, with no success at all. Can you suggest where I can look and what colour would be good? Thank you.

KittyLester - check out Winser London for silk shirts and blouses, I have a couple and they're fantastic.

AlysonWalsh Mon 23-Mar-15 17:25:09

Agus

My main bugbear when clothes shopping is finding dresses and skirts long enough for me to feel respectable in. At 65 I no longer want to wear short clothes and I think retailers would sell a good few more clothes if they were longer which, anyone who wants a shorter style can easily have it altered.

Magrithea

Can you give us 50+ ladies any ideas where we can buy clothes?! I am at my wits ends trying to find things that are to my liking, comfortable, stylish and not what my daughter/neices would be wearing. M&S are a dead loss and I'm finding it harder and harder to find things.

Hello Magrithea and Agus,

Have you tried Winser London? Beautiful fabrics, simple designs, these are wearable clothes for a variety of everyday occasions. Their Miracle dresses are figure flattering and mainly on or just below the knee and there's a decent range of trousers, silk shirts, jackets and jumpers.

For stylish basics I really like COS, Toast always has a lovely collection and Jigsaw is good again. Gap for t-shirts and jeans and the Ines de la Fressange collection at Uniqlo has some good jackets and shirts/t-shirts.

Jaeger is fantastic but a bit on the pricey side, Hobbs quality is top-notch and Whistles is always worth a look. I know that East has a new designer who has moved there from Whistles, so that's one to watch.

FlicketyB Mon 23-Mar-15 21:53:44

I do not know why but I find these fashion and style for the over 50s/60s/70s so depressing. All about looking smart, discrete, safe, nothing to frighten the horses.

I am not recommending that stupid purple hat poem, but surely people over 50 should be just as free as any one else to wear bright colours, dress Boho, wear items of clothing worn by other age groups. In fact why should we take our age into any account at all when buying clothes?
Shape and size and for some, infirmity, yes, but age!

GigiGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 07-Apr-15 10:54:52

Good morning everyone,

Sorry for the delay in announcing the winners of the book, Alyson has chosen -

Looplou,
merlotgran
KatyK

Congratulations to all three of you and if you can email us your names and addresses we'll make sure you each get a copy of Alyson's fab book.
x

AlysonWalsh Tue 07-Apr-15 11:15:50

sarah12345

Hi Alyson. Please could you suggest a suitable wedding outfit for a nearly 60 year old, tall ,size 16 hourglass shape, thats definitely not frumpy but not mutton dressed as lamb either. My son is getting married in June and I can't find anything suitable.

Hope you can help!

When it comes to weddings my advice is to avoid frilly, flouncy occasionwear and buy something useful instead. Something that you'll wear again and again. Like a decent dress with sleeves - look for wrap styles and slinky drape fabrics, I'm thinking Helen Mirren in red jersey or a beautiful silk blouse and pencil skirt both of which look fab on an hourglass shape. Avoid pastels. If there's anything guaranteed to make you look frumpy it's turning up in a lilac outfit with a matching fascinator. Instead, try a strong colour (red, orange, electric blue, emerald) or an eye-catching print. One of Winser London's Miracle dresses could do the trick, or make like a Middleton and go for LK Bennett – they're pretty good for smart frocks and often have a matching jacket. Other places to look for decent dresses with sleeves are Boden, Damsel in a Dress and Phase Eight.

AlysonWalsh Tue 07-Apr-15 11:16:53

amarmai

Hi Alyson, I am 5'3ish maybe 10 stone + size 14 Canadian and in my early 70s. I am making summer dresses and separates in shabby chic country style and have bought a pair of light colored scuffed looking cowgirl boots! I know! Please advise me how to put together this look without looking costumey or silly! I am hoping all this sewng and dreaming is not wasted!

I love the sound of your shabby chic sewing habit! My motto is: wear what you like, whatever makes you happy, but if you are worried about looking too Annie Get Your Gun, I would suggest mixing in a few more modern/classic pieces. So for example, you could try a smart white shirt with a country-style skirt, or a blazer over a shabby chic dress – and don't denim always looks good with cowgirl boots.

AlysonWalsh Tue 07-Apr-15 11:20:27

merlotgran

I spend most of my life in jeans, cords, T shirts, jumpers and fleeces. I live in the middle of nowhere so I'm quite happy with my country 'smallholder' look although I try hard to avoid looking too 'butch'.

My big problem is finding smart casual clothes that soften my appearance. I stick to trousers because I often wear calf supports and as soon as I think a top is showing bulges, back it goes in the wardrobe. I seem to have loads of tops I've only worn once. I'm 5' 7" and a size 16 and have tried buying the next size up but then I look even bigger.

My shape has changed over the years. I used to hate being a 'pear' because horse riding had given me big thighs but now I'm turning into an 'apple' which is even worse.

I've tried layering but don't seem to be very good at it and scarves get on my nerves after a while.

Hello Merlotgran,

I think I might accidentally be wearing the country smallholder look too (minus the fleece, far too warm on the commute). But what I do in order to dress up my casual clothes is to wear jeans and a lovely shirt or a lightweight tailored jacket – have a look at the Ines de la Fressange collection for Uniqlo, there are some fab jackets at quite reasonable prices, and Boden has a soft linen jersey blazer that would look quite neat. A semi-fitted style is good for you.

Don’t buy the next size up, this is a never a good idea and, as you mention, it just makes you look bigger. It's worth learning to love scarves, they are a quick and easy way to make a simple outfit look chic – and as Mary Berry says 'hide a scraggy neck.' Try a smaller version tied neckerchief style - think French Chic not Butch Country Smallholder, and you'll be fine! Lightweight fabrics are easy to wear and once the scarf is in place, it's quite easy to forget you're wearing one.

I would also recommend spending some time going through your wardrobe and trying on all these tops you've bought. Take a good long look in a full-length mirror, from all angles, maybe use a handheld mirror or ask a friend to hold up another mirror. If they're a real friend they can also give you an honest report on the 'bulge situation'. Then give anything that isn't flattering to charity. By streamlining your wardrobe you will end up with the clothes that you like and feel comfortable in, and this will help too.

merlotgran Tue 07-Apr-15 22:05:56

Good Grief!! Can't believe I've won a copy of the book. Thank you Alyson.

I've informed DH I'm now on a mission to become a country bumpkin style icon. He's looking a bit scared. grin