Gransnet forums

Webchats

Dame Julie Andrews

(33 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 03-Mar-15 17:10:43

We are hugely excited to have teamed up with Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of The Sound of Music - and we’re giving gransnetters the chance to ask Dame Julie Andrews about a few of her favourite things and her memories of making the classic film!

The questions selected will each win a copy of the 50th Anniversary edition of the film on DVD featuring the all-new documentary “The Sound of a City: Julie Andrews Returns to Salzburg,” detailing Andrews' recent return to the magical city where she filmed her iconic role Maria half a century ago!

We need questions by lunchtime this Friday (6 March)

grannyactivist Tue 03-Mar-15 17:35:36

My granny took me to see The Sound of Music and of course I loved the film, but I was completely captivated by Austria itself - the scenery just looked so very beautiful. When it came to choosing my honeymoon destination there was no contest and we spent ten wonderful days exploring the country. Julie, I wonder if you can share your first impressions of the country?

eGJ Tue 03-Mar-15 18:09:54

Julie - How did you get on with all those child actors and did they behave during the filming?

Agus Tue 03-Mar-15 18:37:09

I cannot believe it is actually 50 years since I watched The Sound of Music first time round. I have since watched it with my daughters and now granddaughters but completely forgot I was 15 the first time I saw and loved it.

Will this be the first time you will be returning to Salzburg and if so, are you prepared for the memories that will come flooding back? Enjoy your trip.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 03-Mar-15 18:49:25

Can't think of any questions at the moment, but I would like to take the chance to say thank you for the great enjoyment my family and I have had over the years from watching your films, particularly Mary Poppins and The Sound of Music. Your singing is lovely. Thank you very much, and best wishes. flowers

janerowena Tue 03-Mar-15 23:23:42

I really must get my eyes checked, I saw the title and thought it read 'Damn Julie Andrews'. I wondered what the poor woman had done!

But since I am on here, is your voice fully recovered after the problems you had with your throat? I adored you as a little girl when I saw Mary Poppins, I wanted you to be my Nanny, and the thought of that voice being potentially lost was extremely upsetting. It must have been a very traumatic time.

gillybob Wed 04-Mar-15 08:03:12

Hello Dame Julie

I wonder did you ever get to meet the real Maria Von Trapp on who's life and family the Sound of Music was (loosely) based? Did you know whether or not she approved of the film and if she liked/disliked it?

My grandchildren (aged 9,7 and 5) love musicals and adore both the Sound of Music and Mary Poppins. Thank you. smile

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 04-Mar-15 09:11:04

The Sound of Music and I are exactly the same age! Enjoyed introducing my daughter to the film recently and was captivated by the scene in which the Captain reveals his love for Maria. I must have seen it dozens of times before but this time found it so touchingly romantic - more than I any other scene I have watched in a long time. It made me think about the film in a whole new way (as a love story - which of course it is - rather than simply from the perspective of the children as I think I had done before)
I'd love to know what that scene was like to film. (And my six year-old would like to know whether the children in Mary Poppins or the ones in the Sound of Music were easier to nanny for!)

leila Wed 04-Mar-15 10:38:01

I love the film but I can't watch it without ending up singing the songs for days afterwards! I would love to know - which is your favourite? (Mine is the one about must have done something good but it's a close call with several others!)

teepee Wed 04-Mar-15 10:39:35

Have you kept in touch with the other cast members over the years? Thank you for the wonderful entertainment you have given to us over the years

annodomini Wed 04-Mar-15 10:40:05

Dame Julie, apart from your own successful movies, which musical films would be your favourites and why?

grannypammy Wed 04-Mar-15 10:43:59

I believe you are a grandmother AND a great grandmother! What sort of grandmother are you? (And you look amazing - any tips?)

pat360 Wed 04-Mar-15 10:51:28

I read somewhere that the early reviews for The Sound of Music were not good at all - and yet the film has turned out to be one of the best-loved and most enduring classics of all time. I'm sure it will continue to be so. Does that give you a sense of satisfaction? And were you upset by those first reviews?

Grannyshoes Wed 04-Mar-15 13:21:04

Hello smile what made you want to be in the sound of music and is there Amy funny stories from behind the scenes

Tegan Wed 04-Mar-15 14:31:07

I have to admit to not having seen the film [or if I have it was a long long time ago] but I always wondered if filming Victor/Victoria was a way of getting away from your squeaky clean image? In retrospect it was a very ground breaking film in it's day and I would imagine you're very proud of it [and rightly so]. I must admit to loving Mary Poppins [although I must read the books one day which are quite dark I believe]. It's quite something to have been in sich iconic films and to be such an important part of peoples lives [my opinion being that we are shaped, to a certain extent by the films that we watch when growing up].My thanks to you smile.

JackyB Thu 05-Mar-15 11:39:14

Good morning, Julie, I live in Germany, and "The Sound of Music" is hardly known here (Ditto Mary Poppins). I have heard, too, that whilst busloads of Brits and Americans go to Salzburg for special SoM holidays, they are welcomed as tourists, but the locals are puzzled by the fascination with the place and the film.

Why do you think it is such a success only in the Anglophone world? Were songs translated in the foreign-language versions and sung by other people, as sometimes happens with big musical films? If so, that just goes to show how much you and your voice were responsible for the popularity and long-lived success of the film.

Congratulations on all your work and on your continuing success (PS - I loved "Despicable Me"!)

Ruby6918 Fri 06-Mar-15 09:47:27

hi julie its an honour to get the chance to post a question to you, id like to know did surviving the londonblitz and all its hardship form your character with certain atrributes, your determination, sense of self and also your great dignity, thanks for the chance, cathy

Nannyjosie Fri 06-Mar-15 10:03:52

I'm so delighted to get to ask a question to you as I'm such a big fan of this film - I must have seen it countless times and loved introducing it to my children, and now my grandchildren, the eldest of which wants to be an...actress!
So, I actually wanted to ask you what you think about the acting world for young women today - do you think they have it easier now or do you think it was easier getting good roles when you were starting out? I also wondered what you thought about the complaint we often hear that there are very few good roles for older actresses (compared to older actors)?

Actually that's two questions, sorry I could ask so many more!

Thank you so much for answering smile

LautelGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 06-Mar-15 14:01:46

Hello everyone,

Thanks for your questions, we're going to send them over to Dame Julie. For her answers, watch this space!

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 12-Mar-15 15:45:51

It's here folks! Take a look at Julie's answers to your questions just below:

Lona Thu 12-Mar-15 16:52:36

That was a lovely interview which was completely ruined for me by the intrusive and unnecessary (IMO) music.

Babette Thu 12-Mar-15 19:00:37

Dame Julie is a lovely lady with a great voice. But does she actually know that "Edelweiss" is certainly not the Austrian National anthem?
During the filming it got a lot of Austrians confused.

BarbaraT Thu 12-Mar-15 19:11:37

The music is terrible, un necessary, can hardly hear Julie Andrews, in fact it is embarrassingly loud.

BarbaraT Thu 12-Mar-15 19:13:36

Not worth listening to with that foreground music.

loopylou Thu 12-Mar-15 19:22:12

I gave up sad