Gransnet forums

Webchats

Q&A with GBBO's Nadiya Hussain

(93 Posts)
LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 22-Aug-16 10:45:33

We're very excited to have the lovely Nadiya Hussain answering all your questions on baking, GBBO and her new book, Nadiya's Bake Me A Story.

Winner of the 2015 Great British Bake Off, Nadiya needs very little introduction after wowing us all with her fantastic bakes last year <remember the fizzy drink cake?!> Here's more about her new book...

Nadiya’s Bake Me a Story is the first children's book from the star of the UK’s most-watched and BAFTA-winning TV show of 2015, Great British Bake Off winner and nation's sweetheart, Nadiya Hussain.

This unique hybrid of storybook and cookbook contains recipes and stories devised and written by Nadiya herself. Nadiya's Bake Me a Story brings families into the kitchen to spend time sharing stories and cooking. Get messy making yummy bean patties, and while they are in the oven, curl up with the story of Jack and the Bean Pattiestalk, or read about Ruby-Red and the Three Bears and their Very Berry Muffins while you wait for your own to bake!

Like her bakes, Nadiya’s stories themselves all have a sprinkling of something original. We have The Princess and the Pea and Mint Risotto, or Sleepless Beauty, who is cursed to never sleep again, until she comes across a magical mug of hot chocolate with cardamom...

Nadiya's Bake Me A Story will be published on 8 September in hardback priced £14.99 by Hodder Children's Books, and we've got one signed copy to give away to someone who asks a question on the thread. Leave yours for Nadiya below by midday on 5 September.

mischief Wed 24-Aug-16 22:06:47

Just finished watching The Chronicles of Nadiya and absolutely loved it on so many levels.

Which do you like best, the traditional receipes or one's that you have created.

angiehoggett Thu 25-Aug-16 08:00:59

I'd like to ask Nadiya if she has a secret for making Macarons, I always seem to end up with funny shapes and don't get the baking times correct.

Zengran Thu 25-Aug-16 09:44:05

Hello Nadiya. I loved watching you on Bake Off and have just watched Chronicles of Nadiya and love that too. My question is:- Can you please send me some of your cheerful enthusiasm, I lost mine somewhere along the way!

Pittcity Thu 25-Aug-16 12:01:15

I loved The first episode of The Chronicles of Nadiya and loved it. What a lovely family. Looking forward to next week.
My question stems from the latest Bake Off thread on Gransnet. We see Paul and Mary cutting a large slice of cake and trying a little. What happens to the rest?

kazzlelawrence Fri 26-Aug-16 10:17:13

Hi Nadiya
I am a GBBO fan and always find inspiration watching the show. I watched the first 'Chronicles of Nadiya' recently and was delighted - what a wonderful insight into a different culture.
My question is this - Do you think that GBBO is totally responsible for your new direction in life or do you think it just kick started something that was always in you and was always going to emerge eventually?

Otter105 Fri 26-Aug-16 10:17:43

Hi Nadiya?

If you could only make one pudding for the rest of your life what would it be?

baNANAGran3 Fri 26-Aug-16 11:12:26

Hello Nadiya and congratulations on making the most of life since GBBO, I wish you much happiness along the way.

My question is, are you now sometimes too busy to bake at home - and (shock horror) - do you ever BUY a cake for your family?!

cikada Fri 26-Aug-16 12:28:23

Congratulations on winning the GBBO and continued success, however, I ask myself how it has changed your luife and how does your family cope with all the media attention. Very good luck with your book!

angie95 Fri 26-Aug-16 12:37:08

Hi Nadiya , congratulations on your win, you put the fun back into baking. Have you always baked? I have warm hands, how can I keep them cool when baking? Thanks
Angie95 x

lizliz Fri 26-Aug-16 13:56:20

Hi Nadiya well done for winning bake off and putting Yorkshire on the map. What tips would you give to this years contestants?

preety18 Fri 26-Aug-16 15:39:35

Well done Nadiya you are a great inspiration. Just wanted to ask you what it is your inspiration behind baking and what is your favourite recipe?

Tryfan12 Fri 26-Aug-16 19:13:04

What is your favourite thing to bake?

Treebee Fri 26-Aug-16 19:57:10

Hi there Nadiya from sunny MK! I love making cakes but then I can't resist eating them. Do you eat your own cakes? If so how do you keep in trim?

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 26-Aug-16 20:11:53

Do you think it is ridiculous that, when we are all supposed to be fighting overweight and obesity, the Beeb keeps pumping out this programme encouraging everyone to bake and eat more and more sugar laden crap treats. And please don't say that homemade is better for you than shop bought. It's all the same sugar.

dahlia08 Fri 26-Aug-16 23:36:56

Well done on bake off Nadya!! I loved watching you in your home town. It was very happy and sad too. Reminds me when I go to visit my family abroad. It's very sad to leave them. You are so relax , no rushing about. I would love to win the children book for my grandsons as they love to get their apron on and get stuck in when their mum is baking. X

sweir1 Sat 27-Aug-16 07:34:32

Have your grandparents passed you down an recipes?

gettingonabit Sat 27-Aug-16 10:38:36

jingl I was going to say the very same thing, so thanks!

GrannyGlyn Sat 27-Aug-16 13:44:55

I was really happy when you won GBBO, you were my favourite from the start.

I love the idea of taking baking with children a step further with stories, I bake with my grandchildren and I know they would love that.

Can I ask is this the first of many books?

silversand12 Sun 28-Aug-16 08:39:25

Love the sound of the book smile I found your use of spices on GBBO fascinating, especially when Paul was so sceptical and then they worked!

My question is what has your biggest baking disaster been?

cangran Sun 28-Aug-16 09:49:52

Hi Nadiya

Do you have any suggestions for healthy food to tempt a very fussy 5 year old who'd live on snacks if he had his way?

boo2410 Sun 28-Aug-16 10:33:39

Hi Nadia,

Is it true that you always cover your head because you hate your hair (I'm sure I read that somewhere!) Where do you get the inspiration for your head coverings, you are always so coordinated? Do you wear them at home??

Also you seem very down to earth, how has all this fame affected your family life? Have your children been affected by it all, for example at school? Do you still go and collect them and do other mums/dads treat you differently?

Sorry for so many questions, I think you are brilliant!

beckyinman Sun 28-Aug-16 11:03:40

Do you own children enjoy baking or just the eating?

merlotgran Sun 28-Aug-16 17:28:41

Hi Nadiya, In just a year since winning GBBO, you've made a TV documentary about your roots, baked a 90th birthday cake for the Queen, reported for The One Show, been a guest panellist on Loose Women and are about to publish a second cookbook as well as being a judge on the new series of Junior Bake Off.

In addition to these achievements you are also writing the first of three novels!

Do you not fear over exposure which has often been the case when a refreshingly new personality is thrust into the limelight?

Elizabeth180 Sun 28-Aug-16 23:14:49

Hello Nadiya
How long does it take you to create and perfect a new recipe and where does your inspiration come from.
Lots of congratulations on your success and have enjoyed your Chronicles of Nadiya programme.

Purpledaffodil Mon 29-Aug-16 23:02:28

I loved watching The Chronicles of Nadiya. Bangladeshi village life was fascinating and I even enjoyed the Luton shots as I lived there for the first ten years of my married life. You made an interesting point about the concept of home. What did you miss most, apart from your family of course, when you were in Bangladesh?