Gransnet forums

Webchats

Q&A with GBBO's Nadiya Hussain

(93 Posts)
LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 22-Aug-16 10:45:33

We're very excited to have the lovely Nadiya Hussain answering all your questions on baking, GBBO and her new book, Nadiya's Bake Me A Story.

Winner of the 2015 Great British Bake Off, Nadiya needs very little introduction after wowing us all with her fantastic bakes last year <remember the fizzy drink cake?!> Here's more about her new book...

Nadiya’s Bake Me a Story is the first children's book from the star of the UK’s most-watched and BAFTA-winning TV show of 2015, Great British Bake Off winner and nation's sweetheart, Nadiya Hussain.

This unique hybrid of storybook and cookbook contains recipes and stories devised and written by Nadiya herself. Nadiya's Bake Me a Story brings families into the kitchen to spend time sharing stories and cooking. Get messy making yummy bean patties, and while they are in the oven, curl up with the story of Jack and the Bean Pattiestalk, or read about Ruby-Red and the Three Bears and their Very Berry Muffins while you wait for your own to bake!

Like her bakes, Nadiya’s stories themselves all have a sprinkling of something original. We have The Princess and the Pea and Mint Risotto, or Sleepless Beauty, who is cursed to never sleep again, until she comes across a magical mug of hot chocolate with cardamom...

Nadiya's Bake Me A Story will be published on 8 September in hardback priced £14.99 by Hodder Children's Books, and we've got one signed copy to give away to someone who asks a question on the thread. Leave yours for Nadiya below by midday on 5 September.

al223 Tue 30-Aug-16 19:37:21

What's been the strangest request you've had since winning?

KatyK Thu 01-Sep-16 10:11:27

My husband and myself very much enjoyed the Chronicles of Nadiya. Have you any plans to do any similar programmes?

Zorro21 Thu 01-Sep-16 23:33:31

What dish have you found the most difficult thing to make ?

Jayh Fri 02-Sep-16 12:05:17

At what age did you start baking and who taught you?

Glosgran Sat 03-Sep-16 17:46:07

Hi Nadiya. You have stolen the nation's heart! It was great to see you 'in the flesh' (you are so tiny!) at the Gloucester Food Festival a few weeks ago. I'm not sure if anyone else has asked you this, but what do you think has led to your huge popularity with the media and the fact that you have become a TV celebrity in the past year with your own wonderful series, 'The Chronicles of Nadiya'. You have also been asked on a number of occasions to be a guest presenter on popular TV shows such as the 'One Show' and 'Loose Women'? None of the previous winners seem to have had anywhere near the level of success or media exposure that you have had and to be honest I can't even remember the names of many of them, even though I have been an avid fan of every GBBO series so far. I'm sure that you're not likely ever to be forgotten now and your face has become as well known as Mary Berry's. What's your secret?

zbody Sun 04-Sep-16 17:12:44

Hi Nadiya,

So pleased you won GBBO and I've just finished watching the fantastic Chronicles of Nadiya.

My question is how important do you think it is for children to learn to bake and cook? Do you find more boys interested than you expected? I know my grandson loves making cookies.

26jibby Sun 04-Sep-16 19:37:06

Love to know if you will do a gluten free recipe book in the future.

Dessallara Sun 04-Sep-16 21:21:02

What desert looks difficult but is really easy to make?

SingingSilver Sun 04-Sep-16 22:48:08

I'd just like to say that you were the firm favourite in my household last season, and if Mary Berry ever decides to hang up her judging hat, I think you'd be a worthy successor om GBBO!

bc1616 Sun 04-Sep-16 23:54:21

You cooked a beautiful cake for a very famous grandma, The Queen. Was it nerve-wracking meeting her or just very easy?

jamielmdjs Sun 04-Sep-16 23:58:04

i struggle with puff pastry - getting the perfect rise. Any tips?

clarabella3 Mon 05-Sep-16 00:55:24

whats your favourite bake when feeling low

Bellroyd Mon 05-Sep-16 07:21:18

How have you coped with the changes in your life since you have become famous?

donnazz Mon 05-Sep-16 10:40:02

hi nadiya your book looks good

cathyov Mon 05-Sep-16 13:53:35

Do you feel with all your post GBBO success your family are seeing even less of you?

NadiyaHussain Wed 07-Sep-16 10:43:46

Grannyknot

Hi Nadiya, you are very glamorous! smile Did you always like getting dressed up?

I have always enjoyed getting dressed up. I have 3 sisters and it’s what we did for fun. After having 3 kids I definitely didn’t do it as much, but as they are now a little older I can indulge in my need for bright lipsticks and high shoes.

NadiyaHussain Wed 07-Sep-16 10:44:07

Teetime

Nadiya when you were preparing for the show and practising the recipes di you find it cost a great deal of money and who did you get to eat all that cake?

You can’t get away with practicing just once, you have to practice several times so being on the show can be costly, but worth it. I didn’t eat all of the practice runs; as soon as the kids were fed up of what I was baking I gave it away to my family and friends and all my neighbours. It’s always great to share the love.

NadiyaHussain Wed 07-Sep-16 10:44:28

rubysong

How did you decide on the design of the cake you made for the Queen?

I wanted to go for something tall, bright and simple. The Queen always wears bright colours and that’s why I picked a bright purple. I made a lemon drizzle for Mary Berry so I figured let’s make an orange drizzle for the Queen.

NadiyaHussain Wed 07-Sep-16 10:45:07

Glosgran

Hi Nadiya. You have stolen the nation's heart! It was great to see you 'in the flesh' (you are so tiny!) at the Gloucester Food Festival a few weeks ago. I'm not sure if anyone else has asked you this, but what do you think has led to your huge popularity with the media and the fact that you have become a TV celebrity in the past year with your own wonderful series, 'The Chronicles of Nadiya'. You have also been asked on a number of occasions to be a guest presenter on popular TV shows such as the 'One Show' and 'Loose Women'? None of the previous winners seem to have had anywhere near the level of success or media exposure that you have had and to be honest I can't even remember the names of many of them, even though I have been an avid fan of every GBBO series so far. I'm sure that you're not likely ever to be forgotten now and your face has become as well known as Mary Berry's. What's your secret?

I don’t know if there is a secret. All I can be is myself and that’s what I am doing and I am so honoured and privileged to have been so well received.

NadiyaHussain Wed 07-Sep-16 10:45:34

mumofmadboys

What is your all time favourite cake? Good luck with your book!

My absolute favourite is carrot cake with walnuts

NadiyaHussain Wed 07-Sep-16 10:45:53

Auntieflo

Nadiya, I imagine that before all the 'hoo ha' created by winning Bake Off, that you were a private person. Now with your programme about India, what has all the subsequent publicity done to your home life?

Life is really busy and I spend a lot more time away from home but we have great balance and my husband and I make a great team.

NadiyaHussain Wed 07-Sep-16 10:46:33

KatyK

Hello Nadiya

This is a similar question to Auntieflo above. I am interested to know how your life has changed since winning Bake Off and would you say it has changed for the better. Also, are there any down sides to being famous?

I’m much busier now outside of home and my life has definitely changed for the better. I see the children less but we have struck a balance. When I’m not around Abdal is and when Abdal is at work I’m at home. Being in the public eye means I can’t go out for a pint of milk in my pyjamas like I used to

NadiyaHussain Wed 07-Sep-16 10:47:18

LullyDully

Well done with your well.deserved success. You have worked hard to conquer all your things that have held you back. I think you are a great role.model and possibly a new nations sweetheart. I would like to come to tea but will make do with your recipe.book. cupcake

I would make the pea and mint risotto and the zebra cake for dessert

NadiyaHussain Wed 07-Sep-16 10:47:32

hdh74

Well done on all your success, much deserved. What has been the best thing that has happened to you since GBBO?

Baking the cake for the Queen

NadiyaHussain Wed 07-Sep-16 10:47:51

mischief

Just finished watching The Chronicles of Nadiya and absolutely loved it on so many levels.

Which do you like best, the traditional receipes or one's that you have created.

Traditional recipes are the recipes that are dearest to me because they are recipes that I have learnt from my grandma and my mum. But the ones I have created are also important as they are the ones that tap into my creative side.