Gransnet forums

Webchats

How to have a harmonious Christmas Q&A

(65 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 28-Nov-16 11:53:59

While the adverts will have you believe everyone else's Christmas is harmonious and joyful with not a burnt turkey in sight, we all know that the reality can quite often be miscommunications, hurt feelings and at worst family breakdowns. So how can you avoid any unnecessary drama? If you've got a particular situation brewing that you'd like advice on, do post it on this Q&A.

The knowledgeable folk at Relate have offered to answer your queries. Add them here before midday on Monday 12 December

LyndaW Wed 30-Nov-16 09:45:12

Well, I've got a question for Relate or whoever else wants to give their tuppence worth? Of my three children, one is out of the country, one is going to spend the day with his soontobe in laws and the other has invited us to stay for Christmas. The dilemma is that this means we will be far away from our own parents for Christmas and this makes me feel incredibly guilty. But I also don't want to miss seeing the grandchildren wake up on Christmas morning and share that with them?

Candlefran Tue 29-Nov-16 18:36:41

so not do

Candlefran Tue 29-Nov-16 18:36:18

Crosses fingers ever do tightly

Candlefran Tue 29-Nov-16 18:35:41

I don't. shock Bad mother alert!

I seem to get away with it though.

merlotgran Tue 29-Nov-16 18:19:53

I agree with Candlefran. At our age we just go with the flow.

I do have an imaginary thought bubble though as a way of stifling the remarks I'd love to make.

Charleygirl Tue 29-Nov-16 15:17:22

Am I alone in looking forward to Christmas by myself? I can eat what I fancy, when I fancy and watch rubbish TV if I want.

My local Waitrose is asking for tokens to be donated so that those alone at Christmas can have a nice meal etc I think provided by the Salvation Army. That would be my worst nightmare.

If I was fitter I would not mind helping to serve, wash up etc but I am disabled so that will not happen.

There will be no squabbles in my house! Bliss.

br0adwater Tue 29-Nov-16 14:01:56

sorry, that post was for Pipparj

br0adwater Tue 29-Nov-16 14:00:32

I think it'd be cruel not to toast the one person she is missing so much on her first solo Christmas. Have tissues ready as she may not be the only one to cry.

We toasted my Mum the first (and last) Christmas my Dad had to face without her. He was deeply grateful.

Beware, that won't be the only poignant moment for her. It'll be other things that she remembers him liking or loathing about Christmas - the Queen, cracker jokes, afternoon walk etc. It's lovely that you are including her, and are so sensitive to her loss.

Anya Tue 29-Nov-16 13:43:15

''Twas minimouse aka hawkeye who spotted it!

boggles Tue 29-Nov-16 13:27:42

Thank you Anya. I missed it the first time around.

Anya Tue 29-Nov-16 13:10:40

It's been changed to the correct spelling tbgrin

boggles Tue 29-Nov-16 12:47:30

Site - Sight ? - Can't see the error....

carerof123 Tue 29-Nov-16 12:32:27

How sad, i feel for all of you.

I dont like Christmas for all the sadness it makes me remember in my own life.

Christinefrance Tue 29-Nov-16 12:03:54

To know you are thinking of him will help pipparj, it's ok to cry don't worry about that. Much better than ignoring the elephant in the room. As Jalima said maybe your son could make the toast ,no need for anything lengthy just to know he is remembered.

Jalima Tue 29-Nov-16 11:08:24

She will probably cry but in fact be glad that everyone remembers him fondly. Could your son make the toast to his FIL instead of you doing it?

We usually have a toast to absent friends and family which covers those overseas and those dear departed.

Relate may have a different answer!!

pipparj Tue 29-Nov-16 10:56:38

hello to all. I have my daughter in law's mother coming for christmas with us this year. this is the first year that she's come to us, because previously my son and daighter in law would alternate christmas and boxing days between us and them. in february though, she was widowed. I do feel so very sorry for her, and of course she is still suffering quite badly.

I'm dreadfully anxious of bringing up anything that might upset her, but it seems wrong to let the day pass without mentioning her husband. my question for the counsellors is, do you think a toast to him at some point of the day would be appropriate? It's silly, but I'm afraid of making her cry! it's their first christmas without him, so I'm sure they'll cry - I just never know the right things to say, i've never been very good at that (not for lack of trying)

Anya Tue 29-Nov-16 10:34:47

Excuse typos. I'm guilty of not spotting before posting too Cari hmm

Anya Tue 29-Nov-16 10:32:46

Forgot to add, adults eat in one room and the 4 grandchildren have a small tsble to themselves in another.

That way they could squabble to their hearts content - but oddly enough they don't! (No audience/parents?) and we get to eat out meal in a civilised manner without all the 'Daphne you must try one sprout' or 'No, Augustus, you can't have just eat the sausages' (the names have been changed to protect the guilty).

Works for us wink

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 29-Nov-16 10:30:51

MiniMouse

Ahem Cari - site? Or sight?!!

Oh the shame - and me a pedant!! This is what happens when you cut and paste without having time to read it through. Not guilty - but def guilty of not spotting!!

Jalima Tue 29-Nov-16 10:22:00

I could sit in between the DGD so there are no cries of 'she pushed me', 'well she touched me first'

That might help.
Then again, they could be best friends for the whole Christmas holidays - who knows!

Candlefran Tue 29-Nov-16 10:15:35

"knowledgeable folk at Relate" indeed! Cobblers.

Candlefran Tue 29-Nov-16 10:14:32

hmm

Candlefran Tue 29-Nov-16 10:13:31

I should have thought by our age we would know exactly what kind of Christmas suits us and our families. Will these people from Relate be so much more sensible/knowledgeable than we are? Have they lived as long as had the lifetime experience that we have?

thatbags Tue 29-Nov-16 09:52:02

Well done, anya! wink

I live with a pair of socially awkward toads (not an insult and they are aware of their toadiness), one of whom thinks turkey is the worst meat ever and the other of whom has issues even with chicken meat, so turkey doesn't stand a chance.

I never have any idea what we'll be eating on xmas day until I do the weekly grocery shopping during the week preceding. Nor do I especially care. A nice meal is perfectly okay.

Anya Tue 29-Nov-16 08:08:27

Why do people go mad at Christmas? It is, as whitewave said, after all only a roast dinner. OK I might glaze my carrots and parsnips, and add bits to the sprouts, but that's about it.

I always do the Christmas dinner and this year it's 8 adults and four children. But my DiL keeps coming up with over-complicated ways of doing the vegetables, or the roast or the gravy or whatever hmm and weird and wonderful different suggestions for starters and puddings.

So this year I've given her the treat of providing starters and puddings! Guess what? Apparently it's prawn cocktail and shop-bought Christmas pud grin

That'll learn her! wink