Gransnet forums

Webchats

Menopause webchat with Liz Earle

(62 Posts)
Yearoff Wed 13-Jun-18 11:13:29

I’ve been on HRT for three years. I didn’t really want to take it but my partner has dementia and I couldn’t deal with the emotional side effects of menopause and the sleepless nights due to hot flushes. I still had my periods at this point (although irregular). My question is - because I’m on combination HRT I have a monthly bleed. How will I ever know if I’m through the menopause to come off the HRT?

Helenleeds Wed 13-Jun-18 11:09:52

I started the menopause in my early 50s & was prescribed HRT for the hot sweats & insomnia. I'm now 67 & unfortunately I still have the same symptoms if I don't have the HRT. I now apply half a patch twice-weekly which keeps the symptoms at bay. I dread the day the doc says I can't have it anymore as the sweats are so severe & debilitating. I really envy you ladies who have sailed through it!

creativeness Wed 13-Jun-18 11:08:21

I echo most of the above especially the weight piling on. Would welcome any advice regarding other symptoms.

kex66 Wed 13-Jun-18 10:34:47

Hello Liz, I started getting symptoms four years ago. They were not too bad so I assume I am one of the ones that has rather sailed through it. However since I hit menopause I have really struggled with my weight. I used to be able to lose a few pounds when I wanted to but now it is really an uphill battle and I am finding it impossible. Is this a temporary thing and what can I do about it?

patto Wed 13-Jun-18 09:55:29

Well I for one am glad to see this. I am 54 and only now beginning to experience symptoms so I am obviously the other side of the average. I have had no periods for four months. I've had a few flushes but no sweats. My main symptom is insomnia which I believe to be very common from talking to friends. I have no trouble getting to sleep but I wake often and can take up to two hours to get back to sleep and my health and most especially my mood are suffering badly. What can I do?

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 13-Jun-18 09:38:26

Nanabilly

I've a feeling that this topic may be a little too late to be of any help for us on GN. My menopause was 15 years ago .

Hello Nanabilly - in fact we did a menopause webchat with Dr Rosemary Leonard a couple of years ago and were so deluged with questions that we felt it was a good idea to return to the subject now. It was clear that not only did many start in their 50s but also that others had symptoms that lasted a decade or more. We do, of course, appreciate that for some it will all be in the past, but we know also that it is still very relevant to many

Teetime Wed 13-Jun-18 08:55:45

Yes all over for me 10 years ago.

Nanabilly Tue 12-Jun-18 16:10:39

I've a feeling that this topic may be a little too late to be of any help for us on GN. My menopause was 15 years ago .

Grannyknot Tue 12-Jun-18 15:47:09

anno thanks for that - it made me realise that I do have a question. Am I at risk of osteoporosis more so than someone who took HRT? (I have never smoked and I exercise).

annodomini Tue 12-Jun-18 15:10:22

Like grannyknot, I had an easy and early (43) menopause. AsI had no symptoms, my GP said I wouldn't need HRT, but, 30-odd years later I have a lot of joint problems - one hip and half a shoulder replaced so far - and this makes me wonder if thing would have been different if I had been prescribed HRT. What do you think?

Grannyknot Tue 12-Jun-18 14:29:52

I don't really have a question, but I always think that any Menopause Guide should also include a section (or at least a paragraph) about those who sail through it, just for the record. smile

My menopause was so unremarkable, I don't even remember having it, but I must have. Well, I did, in my early 50s because I had a hysterectomy. Took HRT briefly, it didn't agree with me at all, in fact that made me ill. I then took natural remedies for a while, read Gail Sheehy's "Passages" (and possibly a few other books) and one day realised that I'm just fine.

I'm not being unsympathetic to people who do have symptoms and for whom menopause can cause difficulty, I just think it's important to say that for some people, it simply doesn't cause any problems, nor do the symptoms last long smile

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 11-Jun-18 16:00:33

The average age of menopause in the UK is 51. For many women it's considerably later, and for countless others the effects can last well into their 60s and beyond.

Liz Earle MBE is a wellbeing entrepreneur, TV presenter and the bestselling author of over 35 books including the number one bestseller The Good Menopause Guide. She will be answering your questions on the menopause here on this thread, so do add yours before Monday 25 June.

Liz is the founder and Editor-in-Chief of Liz Earle Wellbeing, a high-quality magazine focused on food and living well, published by Hearst. Built on over 30 years of Liz’s award-winning advice, experience and research, Liz Earle Wellbeing is packed with tried and trusted recipes and inspirational ideas and ways to bring out the very best in you. Liz lives with her husband and five children on their pasture-fed organic farm in the West Country.

Add your questions now - we will be picking one poster at random to win both a copy of The Good Menopause Guide and the Liz Earle Wellbeing Yearbook Volume 2