Gransnet forums

Webchats

Non stop 70s hits. What’s your favorite?

(46 Posts)
Nannytrace Mon 01-Jun-20 23:20:51

Just watching MTV 70s hits and having the most amazing trip down memory lane. Simpler times, when the girls were not displaying yards of flesh and the men wore high waisted flairs and had dreadful hair. I’m having the best time. Each song brings back a memory of a less complicated life. Gary Numan singing live, bare chested with a massive zit on his forehead, you wouldn’t get that now. I love the 70’s. What music transports you back to your youth and what do you love most about that time?

Urmstongran Fri 03-Jun-22 17:06:18

An old thread from 2 years ago. I didn’t twig until I saw the name gillybob and for a fleeting moment thought ‘oh good, is she back?’.

Hellogirl1 Fri 03-Jun-22 17:10:01

The 70s weren`t bad for music, but the 60s were better!

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 03-Jun-22 17:11:41

The 60s for me. Everything we danced to in those far off days.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 03-Jun-22 17:12:38

Oh. An old thread. Never mind, nice memories.

GrandmasueUK Fri 03-Jun-22 17:21:30

I was a nanny in Toronto in 76/77 and had a fabulous time. My friends and I used to go to 3 different discos every week. I managed to have 3 different (innocent) boyfriends as well, until they all met one night. Oops. Onwards and upwards to just one. ABBA’s Dancing Queen was one to dance to every time, Daddy Cool by Boney M and The Year of the cat, Al Stewart. The Hustle was a brilliant dance. I also had 3 birthdays and got engaged just for the free champagne ? I loved the 70s.
I’m still friends with 3 of the girls I met over there. I was the only one who came back to the UK. We all married, had children and now have grandchildren more or less as the same time. I think we all feel in our 20s when we hear certain songs again.

Blondiescot Fri 03-Jun-22 17:25:37

As it's the jubilee weekend, dare I suggest God Save the Queen? grin

LadyStardust Fri 03-Jun-22 18:44:09

Blondiescot I was horrified to read this week that God Save the Queen was released this week, 45 years ago! How is that possible? grin It was my 18th birthday at that time and the Silver Jubilee so there was much celebrating and pogoing! I still have my Union Jack vest I wore back then, but more a punk thing than nod to the monarchy. I should've dug it out for this weekend!

Mine Fri 03-Jun-22 18:58:16

Rod Stewart all the way....Loved Mandolin Wind.....".Maggie I wish I'd never seen your face"
Pure magic

Blondiescot Fri 03-Jun-22 18:58:55

LadyStardust

Blondiescot I was horrified to read this week that God Save the Queen was released this week, 45 years ago! How is that possible? grin It was my 18th birthday at that time and the Silver Jubilee so there was much celebrating and pogoing! I still have my Union Jack vest I wore back then, but more a punk thing than nod to the monarchy. I should've dug it out for this weekend!

I've kept the leopardskin mini skirt I used to wear then (with ripped fishnets and Doc Martens, obviously!) as a reminder of my punk heyday, although I reckon it might just about fit over one thigh these days, lol!

LadyStardust Fri 03-Jun-22 19:12:43

Blondiescot

LadyStardust

I've kept the leopardskin mini skirt I used to wear then (with ripped fishnets and Doc Martens, obviously!) as a reminder of my punk heyday, although I reckon it might just about fit over one thigh these days, lol!

grin grin grin grin

StarDreamer Fri 03-Jun-22 23:57:21

Dee1012

This takes me back to that very hot summer of 76! Crushes on boys, cheesecloth and love beads.

Please enjoy and remember 1976

www.youtube.com/watch?v=f35JyHY38a0

Audi10 Sat 11-Jun-22 22:31:16

Hot Chocolate Errol Brown , Barry White

Honeysuckleberries Sat 11-Jun-22 22:41:31

Ooh yes all of the music except Queen couldn’t stand them. Remember Jackie magazine with the fold out centre pages. I used to pin David Bowie up on my wall which had the added bonus of scaring my mother ?

bridie54 Sat 11-Jun-22 23:04:22

Loved the 70’s. Nobody’s mentioned Simon and Garfunkel. Compulsive listening as a duo and still a fan of both as artists in their own right.
So many good singers then and Johnie Walker with Sounds of the 70’s on Sunday afternoon a real trip down memory lane.

CanadianGran Sun 12-Jun-22 03:58:59

I was a teen in the 70's and there was some fantastic music, of all genres. disco, funk, R&B, and rock. I had a crush on John Denver, but I also loved was Desolation Boulevard by Sweet. I also loved the Beatles. although they were already split, Carly Simon, Steve Miller Band, Cheap Trick. So much good music.

There is a Singers and Songwriters set of discs available from Time Life that have a real variety of great music. I have a disc in my car all the time for longer trips.

telkiefin Thu 28-Jul-22 15:58:40

David Essex

Sara1954 Thu 28-Jul-22 16:44:49

The seventies for me was the best of times and the worst of times.
But the music takes me right back there.
David Bowie,Led Zeppelin, Rod Stewart, Cat Stevens, loved Lou Reed, although it’s been covered probably hundreds of times, Perfect Day still brings a tear to my eye.

Sara1954 Thu 28-Jul-22 16:47:02

Honeysuckleberries
My whole bedroom was covered in Jackie pinups, my favourite was a devastatingly handsome Cat Stevens.

nexus63 Thu 28-Jul-22 16:52:20

i use an old fashioned mp3 player, all my music on it is from 60s, 70s and a few from 80s, favs are bay city rollers, mud, sweet and my late husbands song he used to sing to me was young girl by gary puckett and the union gap, he was 18 years older than me..lol.

Sara1954 Thu 28-Jul-22 16:58:12

Nexus63
That’s one of my favourites as well, but I doubt they’d be allowed to play it on the radio anymore.
Rather inappropriate!