Gransnet forums

Webchats

Banned from having contact with grandchildren

(177 Posts)
Jenrev Fri 24-Feb-23 22:31:11

I am so heartbroken. It's been 3 years since I last saw my 2 grandchildren. They were 18 months old and 4 years old then, and we adored each other. We were so close.
My daughter, her husband and my husband and I were all close to each other. But, my daughter did not like our views on certain political issues and that is where it all started to go wrong. They refused to let the children see or speak to us again.
My husband and I have tried and tried....virtually begged them to at least let us have a bedroom call or phone call with the children. But they refuse every single time. We have suggested that we agree to disagree and move on as a loving family, but no, this is also not acceptable to them. I miss them so much that my heart literally aches, I cry myself to sleep and kiss a photo of the children every night. I have even had suicidal thoughts occasionally, telling myself that at least then I won't be in this pain and sadness any more. We continue to send Christmas and birthday gifts to the grandchildren and Easter gifts etc. But it's not the same. We have not seen them play with and enjoy the gifts. The only photo's we get are the occasional ones that my mother in law sneaks to us.
To make matters worse, my daughter is expecting our 3rd grandchild next Mon and I know we will never get to see or hold the baby, never get to see our beautiful grandchildren grow up. My heart is breaking as I write this, the tears blurring my vision.
The fact that there are no rights for us grandparents and knowing I can do absolutely nothing is tearing me apart and my husband too. We are lost and cannot understand how our once caring and thought daughter can now be so cruel and hurtful. It is all so unecessary, and we gave told her this.
Sorry, I just need to get it all off my chest and talk to you all about it. I am hurting desperately.
Thank you for taking time to read this.

Shinamae Fri 24-Feb-23 22:33:11

All this, because of political differences?…

Jenrev Fri 24-Feb-23 22:36:49

Yes. It is unbelievable, and I feel so confused by it all.

Harris27 Fri 24-Feb-23 22:37:52

Very hard and extremely harsh. Is this just political?

Jenrev Fri 24-Feb-23 22:41:55

I think it is yes. Delicate issues around that time such as covid, BLM rioting, statues being pulled down etc.....but it is just different points of view. It should never stop grandparents seeing grandchildren. We are kind, thoughtful and caring people.

maddyone Fri 24-Feb-23 22:43:13

Oh gosh, what a terrible situation for you. I don’t really have any advice, but I do wonder if your once loving daughter is being coercively controlled? It’s just the thought that came to me on reading your post. I’m so sorry, I wish I had useful advice for you.

Jenrev Fri 24-Feb-23 22:44:50

Family members think it could be her husband making these decisions, but I believe my daughter is strong enough to stand up for herself and I don't think it's down to her husband

Jenrev Fri 24-Feb-23 22:49:26

Hmmm, maybe. I don't know, but family have also suggested that too. It's cruel and did not need to end up like this. Whenever I suggest we move on and agree to disagree, she says I am sweeping it all under the carpet. But I am not, I just don't want all of this hurt and upset. The poor children do not get a choice in all of this. I pray and hope they will come and find us when they are old enough.
I have been writing letters to them and saving them for when they are older. That's OK isn't it?

welbeck Fri 24-Feb-23 23:52:24

i can understand your daughter not wanting her children to be around attitudes that she finds obnoxious.
she doesn't want them to take on such attitudes.
sorry you feel upset but it does sound as if you think you can sweep it under the carpet and just carry on as before.
and your daughter is about to have her 3rd child.
interesting that you term this event as your 3rd GC.
have you tried counselling, or consulted your doc.

NotSpaghetti Sat 25-Feb-23 00:26:58

Do you have any other adult children?
If so, what is their view?

Sorry to hear you ard in such distress - I think you should speak to your GP and see if you can arrange some counselling.

imaround Sat 25-Feb-23 00:36:52

Seems like you are in the US. I saw this scenario happen quite a bit during Covid and the 2020 election when reading on forums related to estrangement.

I wish I had some advice for you. Politics are very firmly held beliefs in many people now and can be very explicit and steadfast in their beliefs.

rafichagran Sat 25-Feb-23 00:50:40

I am very sorry for you, but I must ask, were the views you disagreed about racist on your part? You bring up BLM. If so maybe they dont want their children subjected to it. If it is the other way round I apologise.
Also you mentioned covid, I know a family that fell out about it, especially as one was a anti Vaxer.
I know you feel alful but you dont talk about apologising, you just say let's agree to disagree. Maybe the argument goes deeper with your daughter and her husband.
I hope you get a resolution soon.

VioletSky Sat 25-Feb-23 01:43:17

BLM, statues being pulled down etc... Many make a mistake when they clasify it as political and therefore debatable... however it is not, it is moral...

Which side were you on? That matters

If you are on the side of BLM etc then, I can understand you being desperately worried for your grandchildren.

If you are against those things and have morally bankrupt views then, 1. How could you possibly put holding onto your opinion before your daughter and grandchildren? 2. I would not want children around those opinions and I would not want to be around someone who would continue to express those opinions towards me even though it is upsetting.

Hithere Sat 25-Feb-23 01:54:42

Covid, blm, statues down...
Where do you stand?

Where do they?

Hithere Sat 25-Feb-23 01:56:54

Is this maybe a republican Trump supporter issue, q anon, etc?

One party is red and other one is blue?

Hithere Sat 25-Feb-23 02:04:14

Two outrageous stories, US based, posted within one hour difference.... and it is Friday night

Jenrev Sat 25-Feb-23 06:27:32

The thing is, we never ever discussed politics or anything like it when the grandchildren were around. All we did was to play with them, read them stories, and take them to the park etc. All fun, family things. Making memories.

Jenrev Sat 25-Feb-23 06:32:09

I understood both sides but not the violence, upheaval and disruption. I discussed what was going on calmly and said that what we were all witnessing on our TV screens was out of order and had gone too far. That people needed to calm down before anyone got hurt.
Surely that was no reason to ban us from contact with our grandchildren?

Jenrev Sat 25-Feb-23 06:36:23

I am in the UK. Not American. All I suggested was that people protest in peace not violently. My daughter and her husband both had different views about it. Apparently, my husband and I are racist because we wanted peace, not anger.
Everyone seems to get a label nowadays if they disagree with anything. Why, it is awful.

Jenrev Sat 25-Feb-23 06:41:21

The protests I am talking about were in the UK too at that time. I wasn't thinking about the US but the UK.
It is so sad and unnecessary for anyone to behave violently when demonstrations take place. That is all I said, and it caused my daughter to decide to keep the children from us.

Jenrev Sat 25-Feb-23 06:42:28

That never crossed my mind.

Jenrev Sat 25-Feb-23 06:46:25

I have apologised many times though. I have apologised in an email, a letter, a message and to her face. But all to no avail. It is a very strange and unbelievable situation. Heartbreaking

Jenrev Sat 25-Feb-23 06:48:45

I didn't continue to view my opinions. I dropped the subject as soon as the disagreement started. I certainly never did and never would talk about anything political with the children around.

VioletSky Sat 25-Feb-23 08:40:49

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Wyllow3 Sat 25-Feb-23 08:50:31

Hithere

Two outrageous stories, US based, posted within one hour difference.... and it is Friday night

Exactly my thoughts.