Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Writing a CV

(33 Posts)
Anne58 Sun 18-Mar-12 15:53:21

Hello all,

As some of you may be aware, I am in the process of job hunting, as a result of redundancy.

I realise that CV's and covering letters need to be tailored to the job for which one is applying, but what do you think of the "Profile" section of my recently re-vamped CV?

Please feel free to be honest! (I think that there may be a few too many "I have's")

I am motivated and commercially aware, especially with regard to the importance of customer service in an increasingly competitive market. I have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal. I have considerable experience in the sales and marketing field and proven sales ability. I have a good sense of humour and interact well with people from various walks of life. Apart from closing sales, my main pleasure in my work is feeling that I am part of a happy and successful team.

Faye Fri 23-Mar-12 06:18:05

I like the suggestions so far, can I suggest instead of: 'My job satisfaction comes from closing sales and increasing profits as part of a happy and successful team.' I would prefer my main strengths are closing sales and increasing profits as part of a successful team.

JessM Fri 23-Mar-12 06:53:13

Yes Phoenix you will find that with agencies - just when you've got your Cv just right someone will tell you they want it either longer or shorter. Preferences vary between industries and professions as well. Computer programmers list the projects they worked on with a long list of the kinds of programming tools used in each one. The applications that surprised me most were for head teacher. Long rambling badly written essays on their philosophy of education in some cases.
Hi there popparob lovely to hear from you. Clinical psychologists are good guys here. They help people to overcome disabling phobias without the use of drugs. etc. But it has always been a very tough entry requirement even to get started. Maybe it means something different in Australia. I was somewhat surprised to hear that in the USA "therapists" dish out drugs. Ritalin, anti depressants etc.

Carol Fri 23-Mar-12 06:56:33

PoppaRob nice to see you on here.

Human Resources - the scourge of every organisation! In Australia, you have higher requirements of qualifications - not many clinical psychologists, or occupational psychologists for that matter, knocking about in HR in the UK. More likely business diplomas, young college leavers, people still studying and gaining experience on the backs of employees whose lives get turned upside down by these transient, ambitious numpties who have no empathy and little understanding of the impact of their casual rhetoric about redundancy, demotion, suspension, disciplinaries and health worries.

As a manager, I sat with many a weeping employee who had given years of loyal service, being told by some new HR entrant to the organisation that their job was in jeopardy because of absence through illness, or potential changes in infrastructure, with no hint of compassion or understanding.

They had little training, but felt able to give out bad advice about CVs, 'help' with moving to more suitable posts after long-term illness, or in over-riding policy and proedure when there were clear reasons to do so, such as enabling very sick people to retire without having to fight for the right. And, when you phoned them a fortnight after they had wreaked havoc, where are they? Oh, they left last week - did no-one tell you!?!?

Apologies to the good old personnel officers who got caught up in this move into bureaucracy - good pastoral care of employees, faces that we all got to know and who were on hand to help when we needed it. There were two left in my organisation when I retired, and both continued to offer help weeks after I left. The other half dozen or so were too busy chatting on Facebook, re-writing complaints about their department in order to avoid being found out for their ineptitude, and writing their academic essays in work time so they could get their ambitious feet further up some other organisation's promotions ladder.

Never listen to an HR person giving advice about CVs!

Anne58 Fri 23-Mar-12 18:27:37

Evening all, and thanks again for all the feedback

I have had a call today from another agency, who advised that "these days" there is no need for a profile/statement, as these tend to ne full of cliches (motivated, equally happy working alone or as part of a team etc) and we all know that cliches should be avoided like the plague! grin

Carol Fri 23-Mar-12 19:13:30

Good to see they are 'thinking outside the box' and are into 'blue sky thinking' when advising you about CVs phoenix grin

Anne58 Fri 23-Mar-12 20:14:23

I'm now up to version 7!

However have had a lovely initial reference/testimonial from my boss:

"Phoenix joined us six years ago and quickly adapted from the B2C to the B2B sales environment. She has a great sense of humour which she uses to establish raport with prospective clients. She is a hardworking and enthusiastic team member who often takes work home home when a deadline is to be met.

Phoenix has a rare sales talent - she is a born salesperson who clearly gets a real kick out of every sale she makes. Phoenix has been generating annual sales of around £330k, and as our only business development manager until last year we relied totally on her for helping us grow from a £350k turnover to £1.3m

I am personally extremely sad that we have had lose our Business Development Team and I have no hesitation in recommending Phoenix to any potential employer."

Gulp, sob, etc. I really loved my job, and got a lot of satisfaction from it. I miss it so much. I feel that ones job is part of ones identity, and am feeling very much adrift at present.

Oh well, onward and upward.

Anne58 Sun 25-Mar-12 18:37:29

I have had an idea, and started a new thread. Please see "Advice needed"

(Not sure if it's viable)