Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Starting your own business - live webchat with Robert Ashton Weds 20 June 1-2pm

(57 Posts)
bikergran Mon 11-Jun-12 09:59:04

A business via a website would be ideal for me (perhaps not right at this moment) any tips on building or producing a web site without it looking like my 5 yr old grandson had put it together? thanks Sue

ChrisMW Sun 10-Jun-12 13:11:00

I registered my new business as a Limited Company to protect the name and have left it dormant while I operate as a sole trader. My business is a consultancy for older people and their relatives who do not have access to social services. I want to become a Social Enterprise because Social Services and the NHS won't do business with a private company. Does this sound worth doing and what are the first steps I need to take?

whenim64 Sat 09-Jun-12 10:26:25

I'd be interested to know more about turning a hobby or interest into a business, without it running away with me. I've seen so many people who have started selling things like cupcakes, craft jellery or hair ornaments, but the tail has ended up wagging the dog - they get stressed and feel they have to expand to keep competitive. A manageable part-time job from home would be ideal, so what are the strategies for keeping it just that? Thanks.

RobertAshton Sat 09-Jun-12 09:38:17

Come on folks, I'm really looking forward to the online webchat on 20th June - especially the lovely Gransnet sandwiches I've been promised. But seriously, you know starting your own business is not just for the young.

I know many people who ditched the day job, the unreasonable boss and all the hassle of commuting to do exactly what they want, with people they like, when it suits them.

In fact even pensioners are starting businesses now . . . . . . so it really is never too late!

I'll try to answer any urgent questions here, and the rest live on the day - looking forward to it!

More stuff on my website www.robertashton.co.uk

JosieGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 08-Jun-12 09:47:54

Great news - Pearson are giving away three courses on Starting Your Own Business on this thread.

If you post a question for Robert you could win the whole Starting Your Own Business course on Pearson's Love To Learn. We'll pick three questions at random to win.

ChrisMW Thu 07-Jun-12 17:59:34

Message deleted by Gransnet.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 07-Jun-12 16:55:50

You may have seen our taster course on setting up your own enterprise - and we are delighted that expert Robert Ashton will be coming along to GNHQ so you can find out more about this and ask any other questions you may have about starting and running a business.

Robert, best known as "the barefoot entrepreneur" has set up and sold many businesses, written 12 books and started a successful charity.

So whether you'd like to know how to set up an empire - or run a cottage industry from your front room, he'll be able to tell you how to get going.