Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

The career advice I wish I had at 25

(30 Posts)
Gracesgran Wed 04-May-16 09:01:05

My wonderful DIL has just posted this on Facebook and it made me wonder what advice I would have given my 25 year old self. Still thinking ... ... ...

Synonymous Fri 06-May-16 13:21:08

It would have been really helpful to have had career advice at school as this was not available for girls in my school in my time.

haddersmum Fri 06-May-16 20:54:40

I think attitudes and expectations have changed and it is easy to look back and hanker after the things we no doubt could have achieved in a Different age. I spent many years caring for children and aged parents and finally got the career I should have had at 55. I was keen for my daughters to have the careers they wanted from the outset, and they have. However, to enable them to keep a grasp on those careers I help out with childcare. I agree a career is a marathon and a balancing act and is still harder for most mum's than dads.

tiggypiro Fri 06-May-16 23:03:44

There was some career advice for us in the 6th form. It amounted to a choice of four - University, teacher training college, nursing or librarian. I was not bright enough for uni, didn't fancy nursing or a library so like many others drifted into teaching. It was a useful career when I had children and I stayed until I retired. Like many others I loved teaching but hated the crap that went with it.
What I really wanted to do but never told a soul about (didn't want the ridicule - I was a girl and girls don't do that sort of job) was to build dry stone walls. By the time life would have allowed me to be a waller my back would not have taken the strain but I always have to stop and admire a nice wall.

Clickgran Tue 31-May-16 17:06:11

I would say that every change in your life, is nothing to worry about, although at the time it feels epic. Now I believe that things happens for a reason and changes can be character building, but the 25yr was naive, just married, left the area I was brought up and where all my family were. Going on to have two lovely children, move back to the area I had left, divorced and brought up my children myself. I had a complete career change, which I love, met my partner of now 25 yrs and have for beautiful grandchildren. Therefore as I said change is nothing to worry about.