Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

The career advice I wish I had at 25

(29 Posts)
mollie Wed 04-May-16 09:51:19

25 would have been too late for me so could I go back to my 15 year old self and shout out 'don't do it, wait!!!!'? Life at home was awful and I was being bullied into leaving school and getting a job, any job, to help out financially. There was no thought or consideration of me and my future. By 25 I was a divorced mother of two children under six struggling to make ends meet in low-pay jobs. Like a lot of girls I thought marriage and children were the answer to my problems...so if someone had told me otherwise, shown me other options, I'd've been eternally grateful.

ninathenana Wed 04-May-16 09:29:58

Very interesting and have shared with D who is in the process of a major career change.
I knew nothing about vets and vet nurses when at school. Instead of doing the secretarial course mum wanted I would have loved to get my vet nurse qualification. I did work as a vet nurse for 10 yrs but only as an auxiliary

Teetime Wed 04-May-16 09:10:40

He does sound like a wise man doesn't he.

What advice would I have given myself when I look around me - don't try and please your Mother! You'll never do it.

Gracesgran Wed 04-May-16 09:01:05

My wonderful DIL has just posted this on Facebook and it made me wonder what advice I would have given my 25 year old self. Still thinking ... ... ...