Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

'Working' from home

(36 Posts)
Telly Thu 24-Aug-17 11:00:52

This was introduced while I was at work and I have to say it was useful writing reports etc. However nowdays it seems to me that this is really just so misused. People I know spend the time catching up in the house or even out for the day. New media has made it seem like you are hard at it when all you are doing is pinging off a few emails while at a long lunch. Rant over.

M0nica Sat 26-Aug-17 16:24:05

DH spent some months in Japan working in the office of a Japanese company. He said the idea that everyone stayed late because they were all working so hard was b****it. He said it was pure presenteism, nobody left till the boss left and what he was doing in his private office was anybodies guess. DH firmly worked 9 - 5 and everybody was amazed how hard he worked!

goldengirl Sat 26-Aug-17 19:55:54

I work from home. I'm fortunate enough to have an office and I find I can really concentrate much better than in a 'normal' workspace. I ensure I have a short break away from the PC every so often and use that to put some washing on or vac a room

Riverwalk Sat 26-Aug-17 20:57:05

Telly I don't why you need to 'rant' - are you personally paying for those who work at home?

Katek Sat 26-Aug-17 22:53:38

DH has worked successfully from home for many years, and we have a home office in the garden so there's a clear distinction between home and work. Dd2 also works from home 3 days pw. You do have to be disciplined to make it work.

Telly Mon 28-Aug-17 19:21:50

Riverwalk - I felt like it!

lightsky Wed 06-Sep-17 01:25:00

Recently I started to have a globally online business to work from home. I am happy as I can take care of my kids and elderly parent, and at the sametime I can work at home.

mayracarlson11 Sat 31-Mar-18 07:20:53

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MawBroon Sat 31-Mar-18 07:39:00

Advertising?

Situpstraight Sat 31-Mar-18 12:27:46

Coco my DD is in the same position as you, a part time Home based job, she constantly has to work extra hours and is trying renegotiate as they are reluctant to pay her for any overtime, if she was in the office, which is 6 hours away, I’m sure she would be able to finish on time, or claim the money due to her.
Plus the clients wouldn’t be able to call her during the evening with ‘just one thing they forgot to mention’.

eazybee Sat 31-Mar-18 17:37:54

How do people manage working from home when it is the school holidays, even if one parent is there to supervise the children?