Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

School volunteering.

(19 Posts)
BBbevan Sun 01-Oct-17 23:06:00

I have recently been accepted to help at a local school. All the relevant checks have been done. When I went to visit last week I was told I would be in the ' outdoor classroom'. This is used like a forest school and in all weather's. There is not much shelter. I am willing to give this a go but I am nearly 73 and rather anxious about the cold and damp over the winter. Should I bring this up now before I start or wait and see? I do not want to let them down but part of me thinks it is a bit thoughtless of the school to put me there

cornergran Mon 02-Oct-17 02:23:36

I think I would talk to someone now, as you say it's a bit thoughtless. If there was no choice but the outdoor classroom I would have expected this to have been made clear on initial contact. Outdoors isn't for everyone and winter is coming.

BlueBelle Mon 02-Oct-17 05:43:26

I agree too BB I don’t think I d like to do outdoor work through the winter and it would have been made clear to you from the start I presume you would have tried a different school had you been told you d be outdoors in all weathers

Imperfect27 Mon 02-Oct-17 06:19:03

Yes, I would say now, it is a bit thoughtless. There are always plenty of needs to be met by willing volunteers and I am sure they could find you a different role in a more suitable environment for you. Volunteers are like gold dust and they should want to make good use of you in a way that will be to everyone's benefit.

Liz46 Mon 02-Oct-17 06:49:19

I worked as a volunteer (but in a charity shop, not a school). I was not getting paid, so did not do anything I didn't want to do. I worked hard but did not offer to vacuum for instance. I find that a heavy job and used to pay someone to do it for me at home until my husband retired and took over.

You will still have plenty of offer. I have had a lovely time in my grandchildren's school helping with the reading.

Marydoll Mon 02-Oct-17 07:07:39

As a retired teacher, I'm surprised that you have been asked to help outside. I think someone just hasn't thought about the implications. I would go back and explain that physically it would be too challenging, but you have lots to offer indoors. I would have love you to help in my school. Good luck.

BBbevan Mon 02-Oct-17 07:12:50

Thanks everyone. And*Marydoll*, it isn't as if I have had no experience working in schools. I started way back in 1979 , and finished up as a supply teacher and designated teacher for CP .

kittylester Mon 02-Oct-17 07:15:49

Well done on volunteering.

I wouldn't say anything unless it became a problem unless you have a specific condition that would be affected.

I agree with Liz that as a volunteer you shouldn't do things that you don't want to do but being 73 isn't anything other than a number imo!

Marydoll Mon 02-Oct-17 07:21:45

Well, you would be such an asset. The school would mad to lose you! I'm not sure how to articulate this. I think younger people don't have a clue about the older generation. Just before I was forced to retire, as one of the management team, the HT would asked me to cover a class literally with a few minutes notice. At this point I was struggling with stairs and unable to walk fast. He would pull me up for not getting there fast enough. He hadn't a clue. I can actually visualise the person who suggested you go outside. ((She was the Depute Head) in my school.?

Eglantine21 Mon 02-Oct-17 11:33:01

They've put you there because nobody else wants to be outside in the winter! Even the paid staff would try to avoid going outside at the school I was at. It's why I was so popular when my menopausal hot flushes meant I volunteered at very opportunity grin You could give it a try.

BBbevan Mon 02-Oct-17 14:11:03

I have spoken to the school administrator this morning and voiced my concerns. She was very helpful and we have agreed that I will give it a go but let her know if things become difficult. The children get a lot from the outside classroom and they are restricted by lack of staff. I already have lots of ideas but will tread carefully at first. Wish me luck as I start on Thursday.

silverlining48 Mon 02-Oct-17 15:55:04

Wishing you luck bb. Wrap up!

NotTooOld Mon 02-Oct-17 16:45:10

Well, good luck BB but don't get taken advantage of. It rather makes my blood boil that schools are relying on volunteers to do this sort of thing. I realise that BB is a qualified teacher but most volunteers would not be. Is this good for the kids? Is it good for the volunteers? Classroom management is an important part of teacher training and an outdoor classroom is still a classroom.

BBbevan Mon 02-Oct-17 17:01:37

Eglantine21 that did make me smile, but I am a little too old for hot flushes ?

midgey Mon 02-Oct-17 18:38:05

My son in law is a forest school leader, I know he takes time and trouble organising his lessons so people don't get cold. I would wear layers rather than wrapping up!

Elrel Mon 02-Oct-17 19:42:26

BB It does sound thoughtless of them. I hope you enjoy the outdoor work as much as you're able. I'd be needing to sit down a lot! Presumably the children aren't out in driving rain, or are they?
I hope it all works out to a satisfactory arrangement for everyone.

cornergran Mon 02-Oct-17 20:21:48

That sounds better, bb, it allows you to try and perhaps enjoy it but not to your detriment. Sounds a win:win.

BBbevan Mon 02-Oct-17 20:44:40

ApparentlyElrel the children go out when at all possible. Only the lack of their suitable clothing restricts who goes out in the rain.

BlueBelle Mon 02-Oct-17 21:48:18

I still think they re taking advantage I wouldn’t want to be out in cold damp days