Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Any care worker here?

(10 Posts)
LucasArt Sat 29-Dec-18 19:03:28

Hi All,

Are there any care workers still working in their 60s? Do you think this is the type of job that most people still able to cope in their 50s or 60s?

Thanks.

Lynne59 Sat 29-Dec-18 19:57:55

I worked in the care sector for 22 years, mainly as a community care worker. I finished that job a year ago, at the age of 58 (I work elsewhere these days). I'd simply got fed-up of 6.30am starts, double shifts, getting home at 10.30pm, the weekends/holidays when the company didn't pay anything extra (it was all minimum wage).

I loved the job, but I love my present job more now.

MiniMoon Sat 29-Dec-18 20:02:52

I was a mental health nurse working on a large care home. I retired at 61 yrs 8 months.
The paperwork was fine, it was the care side that became too much for me. I was exhausted at the end of three consecutive 12 hour night shifts.

LucasArt Sat 29-Dec-18 21:08:12

Thanks Lynne59 and MiniMoon for your replies.

I am interested in career change from a desk job to something rewarding without having to do another degree. I am hoping to find some volunteering work at the weekends to begin with (I work FT at the moment). I worry about the physical aspects of the job as well as coping with shifts. Is there much chance of finding non shifts care jobs at all?

Many thanks.

LucasArt Sat 29-Dec-18 21:10:39

Lynne59, what is your present job now? I can't see myself doing what I am doing now for the rest of my working life, very keen on some inspirations!

dizzyblonde Sat 29-Dec-18 21:24:57

I’m in my 50’s and work full-time shifts as a paramedic. I don’t seem to find shifts any harder than younger people and certainly less challenging than people with young children.

Lynne59 Sat 29-Dec-18 22:41:11

I'm the Manager of 2 day centres for elderly people. I love it. One is on Tuesdays, just the afternoon, and the other is all day on Fridays. I arrange all the entertainment (guitarists, singers, magicians, etc), and I oversee what the cook, the finance person, the 3 volunteers all do. I hire and fire people too grin, and hired a care worker to help people with toileting needs.

I buy the gifts for birthdays, Christmas and any other occasions. I also decorate the place up for events we have (Easter, the Royal wedding, Remembrance Day, Christmas, etc), and buy all the food and drinks for those occasions. I organise outings. I absolutely love the job. It is so rewarding, and I really get to know the people who attend the day centres....several of them ring me just for a chat, and I go and visit them if they're ill.

I think all care work involves working shifts and weekends.

Marthjolly1 Sat 29-Dec-18 23:08:21

Hi Lucasart I was 63 when I retired from working full time as a care worker. Often doing ectra shifts to cover holidays and sickness. I retired only because I moved away. Yes it was physically demanding but I am fit and have no health issues. I absolutely loved the work. The admin, politics, pressures etc were hardgoing but the clients themselves were in nearly all cases a joy to be with. There are lots of organisations that would welcome you on their team in a variety of capacities. Good luck.

ninathenana Sun 30-Dec-18 10:03:54

DD is a senior care worker in a residential home. She works 14 hr shifts (no nights) 2-3 times a week and 8 hrs other days, often working 6 days in a row. She is constantly knackered ! From what she says it is impossible to find a non-shift care job. She works with staff your age who love their job, as does she.
Sorry, this isn't intended to put you off, if it's what you want, go for it. I'm just telling it like it is.

Mic74 Sat 02-Feb-19 09:29:57

I just wanted to say a huge thank you to all you lovely care workers. my 52 year old daughter has 24/7 care in her own home. sometimes double ups. so what we would do without you I cannot imagine.
thank you so much for what you do.