Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

How many jobs have you had?

(80 Posts)
BradfordLass72 Sun 27-Jan-19 06:09:27

This subject came up on another thread and made me wonder how many 'career moves' other Gransnetters have made.
I left school at 14 with no qualifications but have had so many job changes in my long life, some of them wonderful, quite dramatic and even dangerous.
It astonishes me, looking back, just how much I've achieved in 72 years and I'm not done yet grin

Caro57 Sun 27-Jan-19 11:18:16

Worked in the NHS all my life - in numerous different roles. As I was a one income family I also did agency nursing shifts and had cleaning jobs to supplement income so children could go to scout camp, school outings etc.

CaroleAnne Sun 27-Jan-19 11:19:31

Grandma70. I do agree that the most important job for me as was for you was being at home and looking after our two children. In those days it was quite common and the norm. I would not have missed those precious years for anything.
As well as that later I ran a school for brain damaged children, was an ooccupational health sister( part time ) at HJ Heinz for many years and ended up running a nursing agency for the British nursing association. As a trained nurse there were always opportunities.
I expect that some will disagree but the most important job for me was the early one.

Charleygirl5 Sun 27-Jan-19 11:29:58

Worked in a library after I left school and was going to train to be a librarian but decided I hated it so a total change to nursing and stayed there from around 18 until I retired at age 60. I moved from Dundee to London in 1968 for a year- it has been a long year!

grannydubh Sun 27-Jan-19 11:33:26

16 not including bringing up my family or being a carer to my father. Still working full time and have a part time job as well.

fluttERBY123 Sun 27-Jan-19 11:38:14

Two main jobs, teaching and admin officer.

Seven other temporary paid jobs.

Six unpaid voluntary jobs and counting - would like to list here but a bit of a giveaway.

Luckygirl Sun 27-Jan-19 11:40:21

Ah yes - if you include my daring role with children, parents and OH, that is a few more jobs to add to the list!

Grannybags Sun 27-Jan-19 11:41:24

I agree Grandma70 and CaroleAnne staying at home and bringing up our two sons was the most important job I ever did. So grateful that it was more the norm then and I wasn't expected to go back to work. It was a struggle financially but wouldn't have changed anything.

paddyann Sun 27-Jan-19 11:44:25

left school at Christmas ,started work the day the schools went back (otherwise I was "going back to school" said mum) stayed in that job for 2 years moved onto a different studio where I was a supervisor/dept manager until the year before I got married then went back to the first Photographic company as it was closer to home so less expensive while saving for a home. 6 months
after we got married we started our own business thats 43 years this year.I had another couple of businesses that ran alongside the main one for a few years one that was bought over by a large multi national company the other just ran its course.
I never had maternity leave or took any long breaks ,was back at my desk when my children were 8 days old for the first and 3 months for the second due to health issues .
I did work from I was 12 though in a fruit shop and in a cinema where at 14 I was running the shop and doing the shop accounts
I wouldn't change a thing

mabon1 Sun 27-Jan-19 11:48:38

Two jobs for me. Shipping Office in Liverpool and The American Consulate in the same wonderful city, in fact, the best city in the whole wide world. I left Liverpool 46 years ago but still consider myself a Scouser.

harrigran Sun 27-Jan-19 11:50:54

Just one job, left school and went to college. Trained as a nurse.

fiorentina51 Sun 27-Jan-19 11:56:08

Glass collector and washer up at my parent's pub from the age of 12 to 15.
Cherry saleswoman each summer from 15 to 17...different pub parents moved to with cherry orchard.
Pharmacy dispenser and surgical appliance fitter (honest!) From 17 to 26.
Full time mum from 26 to 33.
Volunteer at local school from 33 to 35.
Support worker for a disabled child and pt classroom assistant from 35 to 43.
Studied for a degree and PGCE Primary and became a teacher from 44 to 60. Eventually became part of the senior management team of a local primary school and acting deputy head teacher.
Since retiring I've become a volunteer at my local museum, become a volunteer education ranger with the Forestry Commission and help out a friend who runs a smallholding.

DH and I do see each other from time to time and we are both actively involved with care of grandchildren too.

grannyactivist Sun 27-Jan-19 12:12:46

I've had eleven jobs, many of them running concurrently and with a great deal of overlap. For example I was a counsellor and continued with further training in this whilst working as a social worker. I've been a higher level teaching assistant and also a teacher. I ran a nursery and was also a childminder. My mum was a waitress so I trained in silver service and sometimes took days off from my social work job to get a more lucrative day's work by 'waiting on' at prestigious functions. My current role as a caseworker for homeless people relies heavily on my training and experience as a social worker. I have worked in the field of adoption and have also been through the process of adoption and been a foster carer. My current work is entirely voluntary, but it is a full time job and I regard it as such. My 'jobs' and my home life have often merged.

Grannyknot Sun 27-Jan-19 12:32:00

Bradfordlass I'm like you - left school at 18 with a South African Matric certificate and have had loads of jobs. Some of the "lowlier" jobs have been more interesting than the comparatively high-flyer ones at the latter end of my career working life.

I heard Michelle Obama describing Barack's career as "opportunistic zig-zagging" grin and I really identify with that.

I've now added "Knitting Instructor" to my CV ... smile

GabriellaG54 Sun 27-Jan-19 12:38:15

Me too BradfordLass72. Moore jobs than you could shake a stick at.
Some unbelievable (but true) some which took me into uncertain territory and others which were stepping stones to the life I lead now.
Ah yes...I remember them well. ??

GabriellaG54 Sun 27-Jan-19 12:38:54

shock more, not moore.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 27-Jan-19 12:45:58

My first job was in a restaurant kitchen, and in between other jobs since I have periodically worked in kitchens, about 20 in all.

I've taught at six different schools, evening classes, university and open university, about 12 positions in all.

Been a part-time librarian as well.

I've also sung and danced professionally for the ten years from I was 18 to 28 and taught dancing after that.

Variety is the spice of life!

RamblingRosie Sun 27-Jan-19 12:46:51

From age 14 had Saturday jobs in a hairdressers, chemist, dress shop, food retail and a restaurant though not all at once! Loved them all and met very interesting people

After college I worked as a wages clerk, school meals supervisor, catering manager of a utility company, cookery demonstrator for a food company. Got married and started teaching abroad for 6 years. Came back to UK, had children then taught in Further education colleges. Went abroad again and looked after young boy with severe learning and behavioural difficulties. Returned to UK and continued in Further Education in different roles which involved travelling abroad. Retired early and moved house.

Now I volunteer with the National Trust, I volunteer as tour guide, I help with lunches for the Aged, and I am on various committees fundraising for charities. Husband says he doesn’t know why I bothered to retire as I am never at home?
So including volunteer roles - 16 I think!

GabriellaG54 Sun 27-Jan-19 12:49:31

Mabon1
My home town too. My mum variously worked for Ellerman&Papayanni and Cunard-White Star shipping lines as well as earlier jobs in ICI (Runcorn) and Black Boy Tea Co. All office roles.
I will always be proud of my Liverpool roots and the many fabulous memories.

dogsmother Sun 27-Jan-19 12:51:14

Cleaning in the local hospital believe I was 12! Then washing up, shop assistant, office junior, receptionist/trainee bookkeeper. Also fitted in bar work and a stint in a turf acccountants somewhere before going on to nursing. However the last 20 years has been spent in Physiotherapy as an assistant.
I did learn early on that office work and Monday to Friday routines are not for me and my favorite times were being a mother at home, luckily OH and I could work around each other whilst our children were young. He also did shifts.

Sheilasue Sun 27-Jan-19 13:20:22

Left school at 15 had 6 jobs those were the days when you could get jobs.
When I think back I think how lucky I was and never out of work.
The longest job I had was when I went to work as a TA in our local school, which my children attended. When they were born I didn’t go back till they went to school.
Turned out rather well I was at home with them through
All the holidays. And looked after my nephew. Retired now.

Fernbergien Sun 27-Jan-19 13:22:12

Many temp jobs when children young but two “ main” jobs. Assistant scientific officer - aerodynamics and running accounts office. All maths based.

fiorentina51 Sun 27-Jan-19 13:23:12

Forgot to add relief dinner lady, school cleaner and childminder to the list.

When I qualified as a teacher, I did supply work for a few months. I had a 6 week contract at the school where 12 months earlier I had been mopping out the toilets....strange feeling.
Mind you, I still did more than my fair share of cleaning up bodily fluids whilst teaching too! ?

MissAdventure Sun 27-Jan-19 13:24:22

I've had too many to list.
Civil servant, childminder, dental nurse, washer upper to name a few.

nipsmum Sun 27-Jan-19 13:41:22

I'm left school on a thursday wasntaken ,by my mum to the job centre on the Friday, had an interview for post as office junior on the Saturday and started work on the Monday. I was 15 .l had 2 office jobs both of which I hated. Started RFN training at 17 1/2 and all my work until I retired at 68 were nursing related. I loved Nursing and worked as a nurse for 46 years.

Onestepbeyond Sun 27-Jan-19 13:43:37

loads- sewing machinist - market saturday job - clerk - correspondence clerk - market researcher - merchandiser - bar staff - seasonal postie - newspaper girl - warehouse worker - store re-plener - office girl - spice packer - pl clerk - accounts clerk - Insurance salesperson - also done voluntary work in schools - Now I work in an office again for less money than 10 years ago, how does that work?? confused