Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Considering being a volunteer...

(77 Posts)
GrannyOrNanny Sun 31-Mar-19 20:22:21

As I’m now doing part time work and I’ve found I have more free time, I’d quite like to volunteer. Any advice welcome as I have no clue what I’d like to do, what’s fun and interesting?
Thanks

Kim19 Mon 01-Apr-19 12:12:45

N2 your self analysis for choosing an area of volunteering is nigh on perfect methinks. I went the 'completely different' route and ever regretted it. Rather found those who continued in their field of knowledge often referred to 'it was better in my day' and were often reluctant to embrace new ideas/technology. Good luck, GoN, with whatever you choose. If it ends up less than ideal you can always change your arena. Seems there's much help needed almost everywhere.

trisher Mon 01-Apr-19 12:13:42

Look at your skills and then consider how they might be adapted or used. Then consider if you want to help in a big way or only occasionally. In any case remember you are a volunteer and if you find that you want a change you just have to do it. Sometimes the things we do as new retirees are unsuitable as we get older but you can always change. Just make sure you are enjoying whatever you are doing.

HappyAmI Mon 01-Apr-19 12:27:55

Girlguiding are always looking for volunteers to run/help run units.

I got involved with my GD's Rainbow unit after a leader left and the unit was in danger of being closed down.

I have always said I am not a "child" person but am really enjoying my involvement, way more than I ever thought I would do.

vonnie49 Mon 01-Apr-19 12:48:26

I also volunteer in my local library which is now run entirely by volunteers. , and also at a nearby wildlife and wetland centre mostly in the cafe. Love meeting the people and learning at the same time .

okimherenow Mon 01-Apr-19 12:57:19

I have found being a volunteer at the local village Hall very interesting... sometimes physically challenging and a help with in the local rural community
I help out at most Events ... sometimes am the organiser of an event and am in charge of everything connected to that event
Putting up tables /chairs... cooking meals or cakes... washing up ... organising speakers ... getting others to help me
Harvest suppers jumble sales coffee mornings Take Art productions ... the list is endless
I am now also the bookings secretary...
you can do as much as you want but you will be hugely welcome
Give it a try ....

sunnydayindorset Mon 01-Apr-19 13:08:33

I agree with changing direction. I was a HCP and now volunteer at 2 National Trust properties - and I love it. I didn't even do O level history, ( because girls doing science don't need it they said in 1968!!) so it is all new to me.
Also run a book club.
Like a previous poster I didn't want to deal with situations similar to those I came across at work.

notanan2 Mon 01-Apr-19 13:17:08

For something a bit different hospitals hire patient involvement volunteers to sit in on high level management meetings and give a patients/lay perspective.

I have really enjoyed environmental volunteering but its very ad hoc. Nice morning out in nature with a nice group, stopping for sandwiches and flasks of tea.

Ive also worked with children which was a bit more of a commitment. I needed training then went around different schools doing the educational side for a charity. It was much more like a "job" but very rewarding.

Community cafes/repair cafes are another interesting option. I am actually considering getting involved in our local community cafe it really is a great resource.

GinJeannie Mon 01-Apr-19 13:17:09

We are fortunate to live in a village with a community run shop and pub. Almost 100% of our many volunteers are retired and it's so good to be able to 'give back' to our village in this way. We are also regularly used by walkers and cyclists as well as holiday makers. Just do it!

notanan2 Mon 01-Apr-19 13:19:37

Local festivals/events rely heavily on volunteers.

Dancinggran Mon 01-Apr-19 13:23:11

HappyAmI I too was going to suggest Girlguiding too - I've been a leader for 27 years, the organisation is always looking for volunteers. GrannyorNanny you don't need to commit to every week, there are occasional helpers. You don't have to be involved with unit meetings if you don't want. Some units would be grateful for someone to do their shopping when needed, help with accounts etc.

bonji Mon 01-Apr-19 13:30:14

I was a volunteer advisor at my local Citizen’s Advice Bureau for 10 years and only gave it up so I could help more with grandson. The training is quite demanding as are the duty sessions in the Bureau but very rewarding and stimulating work so may be worth considering if it appeals to you. Most of the advisors in my local Bureau had been volunteering for many years so they must have enjoyed it!

Lewie Mon 01-Apr-19 13:36:05

I volunteer for Contact the Elderly both as a driver and as a tea party host. It is extremely fulfilling giving our group of elderly people an afternoon out at a tea party in a host's home. It only entails 2 hours on one Sunday afternoon per month for a driver; and for a host, just one or two Sunday afternoon tea parties per year.
Our own group are currently looking to recruit new tea party hosts for the latter part of this year. If anybody is interested in volunteering please feel free to pm me for further details.

Camelotclub Mon 01-Apr-19 13:37:12

If you have a National Trust house or garden nearby, you might consider them. They always need volunteers in a vast variety of roles and you can do as little or as much as you like.

NanaCB Mon 01-Apr-19 16:52:24

I am a volunteer teaching assistant in an adult class for English for speakers of other languages. I was not a teacher in my working life but I enjoy it so much, I now wonder if I may have missed my vocation! Adult education centres often appreciate volunteers to help with basic literacy and maths classes for people who may have missed out on basic education in their youth for various reasons.

notanan2 Mon 01-Apr-19 17:01:04

A lot of organisations that you might not be up for front line volunteering with like lifeboats also sometimes recruit office volunteers

Its a nice way to get "behind the scenes" at whatever intetests you

RamblingRosie Mon 01-Apr-19 17:36:06

I too decided when I retired not to volunteer in classrooms as I taught for 30 years. I have tried lots of different things- bell ringing, singing in a church choir, flower arranging, serving lunch to OAPs , stewarding in a Cathedral, but the most enjoyable for me is volunteering as a gardener at a National Trust property. The hours are very flexible, I get plenty of exercise and fresh air , so no lack of Vitamin D, and it’s wonderful to see how the garden changes over the seasons. I have learnt to identify plants and shrubs, how to prune roses and fuschias and the feeling of peace listening to the birds singing is indescribable. I have also met some very interesting visitors. The volunteers manager is very proactive and supportive and encourages the volunteers to try other roles so there is plenty of variety. They also have social events for the volunteers. My advice is to try different things and if you decide it’s not for you then just let them know and try something else.

GrannyOrNanny Mon 01-Apr-19 17:50:20

Hmm, good point. I do want to help but I have to be honest in that I’d like something. Bit social too.

GrannyOrNanny Mon 01-Apr-19 17:51:46

Sounds great, I’ll pm you for more info, thanks

GrannyOrNanny Mon 01-Apr-19 17:53:10

@vonnie, oh I do like the sound of this.

GrannyOrNanny Mon 01-Apr-19 17:55:09

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all of your replies, certainly given me pause for thought x

reelashosser Mon 01-Apr-19 19:12:16

I've been retired for about 25 years and in that time I did Books on Wheels - choosing and delivering books from the Library to housebound people; a foodbank, and currently and very enjoyably, a volunteer with The Reader, running a weekly reading aloud group - it's a free, pleasurable way of reading with other people. You make friends and know you're helping people - combatting loneliness for instance, at the same time. Additionally with The Reader, I'm about to begin reading one to one with a cared-for child, something which can make such a difference to children who've had a difficult start to life.

Like another poster, I think you have to think very carefully about what you are prepared to do, and how much time you are willing to give. Jumping in feet first and then having to stop giving your time because you find that it doesn't suit you or you don't have enough time to spare, leaves you with a guilty feeling of letting people down, and the point of volunteering is to help others as well as yourself.

Choose carefully and you will have a great sense of wellbeing. Good luck!

kittylester Mon 01-Apr-19 19:30:56

I would echo the suggestion re Alzheimer's Society who are always looking for volunteers. If you go to the website you can input your local area and find a list of volunteer vacancies.

I volunteer for the CrISP programme which is for the carers and gives them practical advice such as which benefits they may be entitled to, where to go for extra support, strategies for coping for their loved ones etc. They also get to meet other people in similar situations.

It's very satisfying.

It may take 2 or 3 tries before you find a good volunteering fit for you but don't let that put you off.

Grannyguitar Mon 01-Apr-19 19:44:04

Along with my husband, I volunteer at the local Steam Railway. He mainly helps with buildings, I have helped in the office, with educational workshop days, and several other things. We have had the opportunity to ride on the footplate as well. If you have one nearby, try it!

shirleyhick Mon 01-Apr-19 20:41:59

I volunteer for the PDSA Charity shop and have done for many years it is great fun you get to meet lots of different people and the work can be varied depending on what you want to do. A lot of Charity shops need volunteers even if you do not want to work on the till there are lots of other little jobs like sorting the books, pricing the clothes the list is endless. Good Luck I hope you find something you like to do .

Shizam Mon 01-Apr-19 21:06:15

Our now fairly useless local council does do the odd good thing, including running a volunteer site. Can see what you would like to do locally. Maybe yours does the same?