Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Looking for a change of lifestyle?

(11 Posts)
kaelle Sun 18-Aug-19 14:39:48

I'm looking to move to Norfolk into a five bedroom house so my 3 girls can easily come to visit. I'm 56, single, well educated and well travelled. My work from home will often bring me to London. I also have three well behaved dogs and a cat. I was thinking I would put 3 of the rooms as B&B, which would allow me to have a "Roommate of a Sort" - mainly to house/animal sit (walk dogs and ongoing training important), but to help turn rooms around when I'm not there, and potentially do some housekeeping, depending on the candidate's desire to still earn. My current housekeeper is my age and we get on super well (she would be my reference), but she doesn't want to move to Norfolk. I would think that the candidate should be ready to start a new life there, possibly get her own part time job, if she needed, and must be a driver. I thought about an AuPair but that's not really what I want. Obviously the arrangement would be tailored to the individual...

So what do you all think about this? Would you do it? Do you know someone who might want to do this? What warnings would you give me (other than beware of the dishonest /disagreeable person) but what do you all think about this?

MissAdventure Sun 18-Aug-19 15:10:28

I think it's an excellent idea provided you get the right people.
That's the thing with people: can't trust some of them as far as you could throw them.

Riverwalk Sun 18-Aug-19 15:29:26

Rather than 'change of lifestyle' this sort of position requires someone with experience of property, animals, basic maintenance, etc. There are any number of people who have this sort of job.

The daily housekeeper of a friend in Suffolk went off to a residential post as she became in need of accommodation - this involved the usual housekeeping plus horsey duties.

From what you say I don't think there'd be much time for the person to have a part-time job.

hazel93 Sun 18-Aug-19 15:39:39

Firstly, have you run a B&B before ? From experience I know it is very hard work if you wish to be successful, definitely not a sideline.
Secondly, your expectations of "a room mate of a sort" seem rather strange to me. Does this person live in or not ? Are you looking for a housekeeper or a caretaker ?
Personally I would look to the local community to fill your requirements albeit that you may need to employ more than just one person.

wildswan16 Sun 18-Aug-19 16:09:50

B&B guests are a lot of work - if you are away from home a lot it could be a full-time job for someone, breakfasts, laundry, bookings, welcomes, payments, dog walking, maintenance etc. I don't see how someone could be available for guest duties and hold down another job as well.

Would it be financially viable to pay someone else to do all that, along with losing the privacy within your own home.

kaelle Sun 18-Aug-19 18:32:34

@missadventure I too think it could be a great idea...but absolutely need the right person

kaelle Sun 18-Aug-19 18:36:36

@Riverwalk, as per the previous comment, it obviously needs defining. I don't think it would be too strenuous and could suit many women who have run their own households. It wouldn't be a full time job though. I think if the B&B really took off, there would be live-out people who could help with the turnovers if I'm not there. I'm more interested in the house and dog sit. Thanks for your comments; they are helping me think this through...

kaelle Sun 18-Aug-19 18:38:42

@hazel93, agree that my definition is woolly. The idea is that the accommodation is free in exchange for presence and dog sit and a bit of housekeeping while I'm away....it's looking like I need to get a better handle on the B&B idea. I've done Airbnb, but not intensively.

kaelle Sun 18-Aug-19 18:42:02

@wildswan16, thanks for your insights. It's made me think about how I'm going to go about doing this. If we took the B&B out of the equation, allowing this person to work a few hours elsewhere that seems better, but almost too little for free accommodation. I think it will have to depend on the kind of person who's interested, and how the balance of work/accommodation works out....?

GrannyLiv Sun 18-Aug-19 18:47:28

There is a site called 'Share and Care Homeshare' that you could take a look at. They match people together and would give you some peace of mind over the suitability of the person you intend to welcome into your home, as they do full background checks.

www.shareandcare.co.uk/

BradfordLass72 Mon 19-Aug-19 05:19:14

You are talking about two entirely different things.

B&B Bed and Breakfast, is a relaxing, holiday for most people who want to stay a week or two only; eat in the morning and be free to do their own things. This means the landlady does all the work: washing up, laundry, changing beds, cleaning rooms. It doesn't seem as if that's what you want at all.

What you're looking for is someone to take all that work off your shoulders - and more -and you're offering them a room to stay in with or without rent/wage?

If I were applying for this job (and many years ago I did something very similar) I'd want a good wage, use of car (or petrol vouchers), time off and the room would be free.