Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Are you an 'involved' volunteer?

(15 Posts)
sodapop Fri 31-Jan-20 12:31:18

That's a lovely story JuliaM You certainly did all you could for the rescue centre.

JuliaM Fri 31-Jan-20 10:46:16

I used to volunteer for a local Animal rescue centre that my late step mother and my Dad help set up many years ago. Along with my Daughters who were teenagers at the time, we became their ‘Catering team’ holding themed events and offering hot food at their open days. We raised a fair amount of money for them doing this, with an average gate of around 70 people at a time. Eventually l was asked to become a Fund raising Team member, which took me into some interesting places and events, and along with some of the Animals, we visited Schools, Fetes, and even some places where it normally would have been ‘No Dogs Allowed’ and at times appeared in local newspapers and Magazines, mostly with my own adopted Dog, Zoe a Labrador cross, but also with various other animals who were looking for their forever home at the time. I finally retired on health grounds after several years service, plus the fact that it was costing me a fair amount of money in both fuel, travel, and the cost of equipment, to keep the Catering side of things going, as the place got more established, the numbers to cater for became much greater, and l soon found myself looking at buying commercial catering ranges, which came with its own problems regarding safety testing and insurance, as well as being far above my price range. The place still exists today, my teenagers are now adults with families of their own, and Zoe lived to be 14, along with her friend she brought home from the centre one day, Sasha, they became the best of friends.

Shelmiss Fri 31-Jan-20 10:01:17

I’m about to start volunteering next week, in the fundraising dept of our local hospice. I’m really excited as I hope it’ll be like a job, obviously apart from not being paid.

Greymar Fri 31-Jan-20 09:55:42

It's a funny one , volunteering. Sometimes you end up like paid staff, without the pay.

Gymstagran Fri 31-Jan-20 09:51:30

Definately involved. I was only going to do 12 months and have now done 14 years

kittylester Fri 31-Jan-20 08:23:10

H1954 I would be interested too - start a new thread with that heading.

dragonfly46 Fri 31-Jan-20 08:10:59

I tend to get involved and do far more than is expected.

I once spent hours cataloguing the library in my children’s school.

downtoearth Fri 31-Jan-20 08:05:36

Have volunteered in the past definitely one of those who get involved and take responsibility.
Just recently joined Age concern with an older friend who needed to get out more to make friends,and ended up on the committee,I was approached by chairman on my first visit,on my first commitee meeting catering manager resigned after a long spell,so guess whose job it is now grin

H1954 Fri 31-Jan-20 07:46:27

I am an active volunteer for two charities, both of which need more volunteers!

My colleagues and I have tried to recruit more people in to help to no avail.

So, can I ask on this thread, what stops YOU volunteering?

seasider Fri 31-Jan-20 07:42:12

BBbevan. I volunteer for the Childline Schools Service . I visit schools to tell young children about Childline and staying safe. They would be very glad to have you.

Grammaretto Fri 31-Jan-20 06:28:16

It depends but I prefer to be part of a team and dislike taking on too much responsibility especially if it impinges on my family life.

DH is the other sort. I have to keep reminding him that he's a volunteer and the organisation does not own him.
He says he loves his work but I think he's exploited.

BBbevan Fri 31-Jan-20 06:00:56

I was a teacher and now volunteer at a local school. Despite offering to help at sports days, fairs,etc I have never been asked. I very rarely got a Good Afternoon from most of the staff. After nearly 3years ,it is a little better. I did so want to be of help. I have decided to leave in the summer.

sodapop Thu 30-Jan-20 21:34:09

Definitely more involved, in fact I do most of the day to day running now. I just like organising things. smile

Madgran77 Thu 30-Jan-20 21:24:07

I so additional things as and when and take up additional volunteering activities when they are offered

kittylester Thu 30-Jan-20 21:20:47

Do you carry out your role and go home or become more deeply involved in the organisation?

I have always done other things, if possible, when asked, to help the charities for which I have volunteered.

But other people carry out their allotted task and go home.

Which sort of volunteer are you and why?