Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Have had a complete meltdown at work! [sad]

(35 Posts)
Evie64 Mon 18-May-20 00:42:07

I work in a primary school close to a large hospital here in Exeter. We have stayed open throughout the lockdown and the Easter Holidays. I work in the admin team, the engine room of the school. It's been building up but last Wednesday I had a total meltdown and couldn't stop crying. Nobody is observing social distancing despite us sticking tape to the floor indicating 2 metres from our desks. I do get it, the teachers and teaching assistants can't socially distance from the 50+ children of front line workers that we have in school, but I have become genuinely frightened. We have had one child with a confirmed case of Covid. I'm 65 with chronic bronchitis. I was sent home and since then seem to have slipped into a "black hole" that I can't climb out of. Can barely get out of bed some days. I'm planning to phone my GP tomorrow but will I be allowed to see him face to face? Who knows? Now the Gov are saying years F, 1 & 6 back into school, and all staff, from 1st June. In our school thats 270 children just those year groups. I'm so worried and feel like I've let the team down as everyone else seems okay to be in school and put up with it. Am I being "over the top".

Furret Tue 19-May-20 07:17:57

Good news and thanks for the update.

nanaK54 Tue 19-May-20 08:32:21

Rest now Evie sending you every good wish flowers

glammanana Tue 19-May-20 10:24:43

Evie sending you ((hugs)) & flowers sit back and relax you deserve the rest have a chat with you Dr via a phone call and tell him how you feel,I'm sure your collegues will be grateful for all the work you have done.

Babyshark Tue 19-May-20 12:04:15

Good outcome OP. Take care and don’t be reluctant to treat yourself by doing things that make you happy (current circumstances acknowledged). All the best.

Alexa Tue 19-May-20 13:14:08

Exposure to virus relates to the surroundings.

Someone suggested a physical barrier to protect yourself, a row of chairs. Something else that would reduce the viral load in your work room is for the window to be kept wide open, wear outdoor clothing when necessary.

It is remiss of your employer not to take these actions.

EllanVannin Tue 19-May-20 13:22:59

All I can add is that you sit back now Evie and take Grandad's advice. Have a worry-free summer !

Eloethan Tue 19-May-20 23:47:30

Evie64 As you have chronic bronchitis I think it is perfectly natural and understandable that you felt very anxious and vulnerable. I'm not even sure you should have been at work in the first place.

I really don't think you should feel guilty about it - and I'm sure your colleagues will understand your fears.

I'm glad to hear your doctor has been supportive and that you can now relax and not worry about work.

Toadinthehole Thu 21-May-20 16:23:10

I don’t think you should be working at all, definitely nothing to feel bad about. You haven’t let anyone down. Surely it’s time to take it easy and retire, particularly as you have health concerns. Look after yourself, and enjoy a well deserved rest.

Evie64 Thu 21-May-20 19:25:41

Thanks to everyone again or your kind words and good advice. I'm relaxing at home and doing lots of reading, gardening etc and have begun to feel less stressed. The Manager emailed me to ask if she could contact me when she had any queries, I didn't reply! grin