Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Head of Department (should probably be in the AIBU forum)

(20 Posts)
GagaJo Fri 26-Jun-20 21:21:29

I'm seriously p***ed off. I don't really know why, because my work contract has ended and I finished today so it isn't like I have to see her again.

BUT. My Head of Department put pressure on me to go back to work when lockdown eased in Switzerland although I'd been isolating in the UK. It involved a 300 mile drive, a flight and a train. Because there were only 4 flights a week to my country of employment, they were v expensive. All together, I estimate going back to work for 3 weeks (in person, rather than working online) has cost me around £1000.

While back at work, she was snippy with me, has made extra work for me and completely over ruled me for the marking of the oral exams, which were one of the main reasons I was needed.

The final straw for me was when I asked her for a lift to the train station the morning after the end of term do. My flight is early, so I needed to get the first train. No public transport runs that early and a taxi would have cost £80 (my school is in the alps, in a v expensive ski resort). She was seriously annoyed about the request. She said she'd do it, if I had no other option. This after I've done a round trip of 2 trains, 2 planes and done 2 X 300 mile drives. When I didn't have to. My doctor advised against it because of the C19 risk, with my pre existing health conditions. In the end, I travelled to the airport the day before my flight and got a hotel for the night. Yet more expense.

I need to be in touch with her over the next week, but am so annoyed I don't know if I can be polite. I feel that she's treated me like s**t. I do need to be careful though, because she will be writing my references.

Urmstongran Fri 26-Jun-20 21:38:07

You said recently that as you’d gone back to work and done the school a big favour that your HoD was falling over herself to be nice to you?

Or was that a different senior colleague GagaJo? I’m confused!

GagaJo Fri 26-Jun-20 21:45:58

Deputy Head Mistress.

trisher Fri 26-Jun-20 21:52:02

GagaJo it depends if you think you will ever be offered work at the school again. If it's yes just bite your lip and keep stum. If it's no. be incredibly polite and friendly to her during the week you have to be in contact. Then when you are finished write a letter to all the senior staff listing your complaints including the costs you incurred and tell them that this isn't the best way to attract the best staff. Then let it go.

Urmstongran Fri 26-Jun-20 21:54:07

Just ask her for a reference then? Not your HoD.

When do you return to the U.K.?

Jane10 Fri 26-Jun-20 22:00:00

Is it worth it? I don't know why you bothered to jump through those hoops in the first place.

GagaJo Fri 26-Jun-20 22:05:44

A range of reasons, not all to do with the external pressure.

1) The oral exams. They're worth 20% of their IB grade and I felt very bad for the students possibly not doing them or having to do them online.

2) I have to work and didn't want to have to declare I'd been shielding to new employers. Would affect my employability, particularly at my age.

3) Didn't want to jeopardise my last months salary,

Also my sense of responsibility towards my job.

Urmstongran Fri 26-Jun-20 22:21:48

Let me get this straight.

You stopped shielding to go to WORK?? By plane, train etc.
Have you no fears woman?
?

And all so your students didn’t lose a percentage of their marks? Crikey. You’re either brave or foolish in my book.

welbeck Fri 26-Jun-20 22:38:13

couldn't anyone else in the whole country have marked their oral exams.
not being rude, but surely no one individual is that indispensable.
what if you had been hospitalised, what would the school have done then.
as for being shielding, surely lots of people are away from during this period. would prospective future employers really look into it that closely.
anyway, its done now. hope it all works out ok.
didn't the hotel cost more than the taxi would ?

GagaJo Fri 26-Jun-20 22:49:19

Hotel was almost exactly the same as the taxi. Leaving a day early meant less rush. No 5am get up.

The oral exams are performed live to 2 teachers. They're also recorded. We mark them and send marks and recordings to the IB. We are the only 2 English teachers in the school that teach IB.

If I'd been hospitalised, the exams would have been cancelled. Which would have meant the need to redo work next year with their new teacher, in addition to next years work/exams.

It's 1/5 of their IB grade. A pretty big deal. Affects uni choices/offers.

Sparkling Fri 26-Jun-20 22:49:42

Sure you did. You must be truly indispensable.

GagaJo Fri 26-Jun-20 22:50:29

Nasty as always Sparkling.

Lucca Fri 26-Jun-20 22:53:27

Sparkling

Sure you did. You must be truly indispensable.

She has explained. Your response sounds unnecessarily sarcastic

GagaJo Sat 27-Jun-20 10:13:10

Thanks Lucca.

Chewbacca Sat 27-Jun-20 10:29:43

I totally understand and appreciate your professionalism and dedication to both your students and your career; I'd feel the same way. But right at the beginning of the pandemic, you told us that you'd taken the decision to risk flying back to the UK so that you could isolate here with your daughter and GS. You've also told us that you didn't leave the house, not even for excercise or shopping, so that you could minimise the risk to your family. So I'm a bit confused as to why you would do it all again, in reverse, and at great personal monetary expense as well.

It sounds as though your HOD was mightily pissed off with you for leaving them in the lurch in March, even though you had good reason to do so, and she's still pissed off with you now and is making your life as awkward and difficult as she can. You have to decide whether you need a good reference from her, so that you can get another job, more than you need to tell her what you think of her. Only you know which is more important.

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 27-Jun-20 10:54:27

So, you left the school before Switzerland locked down and came home, you didn’t go back until 3 weeks before the end of term, even though presumably the school had reopened before that time.

I expect she thought that you went back just to collect your things that you had left over there, then, I imagine she overruled to you show you that, actually, you weren’t really needed after all, you were only needed to make up the numbers.

Then when she baulked at getting up at 5 am to take you to the airport, you left the day before term finished to get back to the UK.
No wonder she was snippy.

Callistemon Sat 27-Jun-20 11:58:17

Oh dear, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I hope you never have to go back and work with her again but, in the meantime, just in case there is no other job available, it would be best to say nothing, put it down to a bad experience with an unpleasant colleague and move on.
You may need a reference!

What's said can't be unsaid.

Illte Sat 27-Jun-20 12:02:16

Think you might have blown the reference anyway?

Hopefully you've got good referees you can call on from past jobs!

MawB Sat 27-Jun-20 17:47:31

I’d bite my tongue and hope our paths never crossed again. Unfortunately in teaching circles it can be a very small world however so least said soonest mended.
Frankly after the end of term do there is nobody outside my immediate family I would get up to do the equivalent of an £80 taxi drive at crack of dawn! So that doesn’t surprise me at all.
It was your choice to return to the school and your choice how you travelled home, the school has no responsibility to you on those counts I’m afraid.
To use that awful term you will just have to “suck it up” !

GagaJo Sat 27-Jun-20 21:13:01

I left originally when the school closed due to the pandemic. 8 British teachers were unable to get back. 4 of us eventually got back. The teachers that didn't return continued online teaching. I got a nice email from her today so I think she's a bit contrite. I'll grin and bear it and send a polite email back.