Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Ex social worker now lost

(19 Posts)
Msdaisy Tue 12-Oct-21 18:51:14

I’m new to this site and desperate for some advice. I left social work after 20 yrs mainly because of heavy caseload and wanting to go part time, which was not possible in my team at that time.
I’m 60 now and have tried several volunteer roles but get frustrated at not being stretched and using my skills. Please be considered returning but not sure what that would be like now or even if I could cope with workload. I’m worried about my own mental health as I have low self esteem and feel I’m not needed anymore. I’d welcome your thoughts …

Scones Tue 12-Oct-21 20:10:24

How long ago did you leave work Msdaisy? Adapting to life after a fulfilling and challenging career isn't easy. It took me some time and by that I mean a good couple of years. I tried volunteering jobs that just weren't me. It's a time of huge change and I think many people struggle to adjust, so you are definitely not alone.

Have you considered counselling to help you explore what's going on in your mind and also help with low self esteem? Tackling issues that are holding you back might free you up for something wonderful and new to come into your life. A new career perhaps. Or a volunteering opportunity that rocks your socks.

As for volunteering what I've found is that all volunteering roles are definitely not the same and you have to find the right one for you. I don't know if you saw the thread posted by Grannyactivist on the Ask A Gran Forum recently. It was about volunteering work which might really play to your strengths. Even if Grannyactivist is nowhere near you it might spark some ideas.

I wish you much happiness in the next stage of your life.

www.gransnet.com/forums/ask_a_gran/1301904-What-might-stop-you-from-volunteering-to-work-with-homeless-people

JaneJudge Tue 12-Oct-21 20:13:10

i imagine they are desperate for social workers at the moment so apply for roles but then say you only want part time and will build up to full time if necessary

Msdaisy Tue 12-Oct-21 20:21:34

Thank you for your reply Scones it helps to know I’m not the only person feeling this way. I left sw over 6 yrs ago but we moved house in between to a new county so that took a lot of my time I feel now we’re settled the realisation that I’m no longer in this role is really sinking in, especially when we had lockdown to cope with.
I will definitely look at the link and see if that leads to new ideas. I have considered counselling I think talking to someone outside of family may help.

VioletSky Tue 12-Oct-21 20:37:00

I'm working less hours due to illness and honestly, it is driving me around the bend. I'm so bored. It doesn't seem to matter that my body has less energy, my mind is at 100mph.

I like the advice to apply for jobs stipulating part time. I'm sure you will find a challenge!

OlderthanIthink Tue 12-Oct-21 20:39:07

Leaving a challenging career is a massive, massive change and it's normal to feel like this.
You've lost your sense of purpose and need to find something that gives you that.
Even though I don't need to financially, I still work freelance now and again and also volunteer in a flexible role. I don't want to feel I'm not active in society.

Don't be afraid to try and then abandon new activities if they're not right for you and don't let people take advantage of your time and goodwill - know and set your boundaries.

Resources I've found useful are books called Not Fade Away by Celia Dodd and Transitions by William Bridges.

There's also an American podcast called Retirement Answers Man which is mainly about finance but look through past episodes for ones about structuring your new life.

My late Dad used to say to look on this stage as a new career, not just about giving up your old one.

Good luck!

Hithere Tue 12-Oct-21 23:26:33

Social workers in the US also work for palliative and hospice care - is that something you would be interested in?

Knittingnovice Wed 13-Oct-21 06:56:36

You have many transferable skills to retrain. Teaching, prison or probation service, counselling spring to mind.

Or volunteering giving advice in Citizens advice bureau.

I'm sure there are experts who will give proper career advice.

Katie59 Wed 13-Oct-21 08:01:00

As you have done 20 yrs in a demanding job give yourself a break, take a non demanding job, after 40 yrs in the NHS I’d had enough. It was strange at first but now I’m happy doing 3 or 4 days a week at the local supermarket and no stress.

OlderthanIthink Wed 13-Oct-21 09:25:55

@Katie59 We're all different though.

Although I'd been in a very stressful career and thought I'd want no more work stress, I found after a short time that I needed some positive stress in my life.

So, I get that from freelance work with specific deadlines which also keeps my in touch with technology and my industry.

I think it's a case of working out what motivates you/makes you happy and it can take a while to rebalance and get that right.

Msdaisy Wed 13-Oct-21 11:18:25

Thank you all for your helpful messages they have given me a lot to think about today. I’d imagined myself semi -retiring and having time to catch up with friends and revisit hobbies. I am doing that but if I have one more lunch in a garden centre I shall go mad!! I know I’m 60 so n years but I just don’t feel ready to throw in the towel to the working world. it’s a slippery slope towards wearing a fleece!!

midgey Wed 13-Oct-21 11:22:31

Msdaisy I understand how you feel…there is only so much entertainment one can stand! Everyone needs a reason to get up in the morning, I hope you find something that suits soon. flowers

Lucca Wed 13-Oct-21 12:21:06

Msdaisy

Thank you all for your helpful messages they have given me a lot to think about today. I’d imagined myself semi -retiring and having time to catch up with friends and revisit hobbies. I am doing that but if I have one more lunch in a garden centre I shall go mad!! I know I’m 60 so n years but I just don’t feel ready to throw in the towel to the working world. it’s a slippery slope towards wearing a fleece!!

I don’t think you are ready to retire ! I certainly wasn’t ready at 60 …I went part time (ish). Until I retired properly at age 67.
I’d suggest trying for part time work.
I agree though it is hard to find voluntary work which doesn’t involve being bored !

Luckygirl Wed 13-Oct-21 14:54:21

OK - I too am a retired social worker (although I had a different career for the last 10 years before I retired). This is what I do.....

- secretary for choral society
- design and coordinate flyers/posters and all publicity
- write programme notes
- sing with choral society
- run a choir, with all that entails in rehearsing them, researching music, organising and publicising gigs.
- Tai Chi - 1x per week
- stitching group - 1x per week
- run village book club
- help with local women's group, which entails organising activities (e.g. coffee morning), fund-raising, helping at school events etc.
- vice chair of school governors + special responsibilities for special needs and staff welfare. Going on training courses for governors; taking part in HT appraisals etc. Lots of meetings.
- pick up GC from school one day per week
- swim
- go to concerts a lot
- eat with DD and family 1x per week
- random child-sitting and extra school runs when needed
- write book reviews for local mag
- meet friends for lunch
- host a zoom meeting for those who are widowed
- daily walk

And I also shop, eat, clean, garden, shower (!) etc. etc.

I never feel bored!!!

sodapop Wed 13-Oct-21 16:10:08

I'm exhausted just reading that list Luckygirl you certainly have a full life.

Luckygirl Wed 13-Oct-21 18:43:06

I wasn't bragging! - but was just trying to say to OP that there are lots of local organisations that might benefit from the input of someone with her history ... and also lots of fun things to do as well.

OlderthanIthink Wed 13-Oct-21 21:51:08

Some of you might enjoy this too - social cycling:
www.letsride.co.uk/breeze

Neen Wed 13-Oct-21 23:07:29

It's changed in the last 6 years years. For instance when the children are signed of c.i.n now and then signed of at risk too and SS hand over to the new families dept, maybe that role as a very part timer may help. So like a s/w, it's very varied but it's supporting various families after S/S have signed them off, you still do a what works well, what needs improvement and what isn't working. Just say you don't want more than 2 or 3 families.
Perhaps an idea ?

Neen Wed 13-Oct-21 23:09:15

But a huge Biggie. Is enjoy being you and have self care / boundaries. You may be surprised how shattered emotionally and physically you will be .