Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Arguments about booking holidays

(24 Posts)
M0nica Thu 29-Dec-22 21:06:22

In all my working life with big companies and small, I never had to comply with any regulations about booking leave, like those mentioned above.

1summer Wed 28-Dec-22 21:56:36

I have worked in a few places and at each place the holiday booking system has been different and sometimes complex.
In the bank where I worked all holiday for following year had to be requested between 30th September and 31st December, requests were approved in order of seniority in January and once booked couldn’t be changed.
At a University where I worked each team had to agree their own holidays but only I person off at a time. Sometime people booked all leave at start of year others at different times, it caused more arguments than anything else.
Fortunately my husbands company was very flexible so I rarely got stressed about it.

MissingLincs Wed 28-Dec-22 21:03:50

kittylester

Is there a particular reason why you can only see your sister at that time of year?

Not particularly, apart from the cost of flights being the reason we'd go for 2 weeks but also avoiding the hot weather of the summer holidays. The last time we went was when the Icelandic volcano erupted. We were stuck in California for an extra week. That was Easter time in 2010 I think, but it was before my husband swapped jobs so was able to book holidays in advance.

CanadianGran Tue 27-Dec-22 18:29:48

This is accepted practice in many countries. My DH (when he worked maintenance in the hospital) had to have his requests in by the end of January, in my company it was the end of Feb, and it was awarded by seniority. So really we never had a confirmation until about Feb 15.

However, you could always request to have a look at the schedule for early months to see if there was any conflict.

One answer for you would be to book a flexible ticket, with the ability to cancel or re-book. The tickets usually cost more, but at least you will have some security. If he is fairly confident with his seniority and within his department, I would go ahead and book a flexible ticket.

kittylester Tue 27-Dec-22 18:24:34

Is there a particular reason why you can only see your sister at that time of year?

MissingLincs Tue 27-Dec-22 17:45:17

Casdon

It’s just the way it is for so many employees MissingLincs, if you think about it, it’s equally unacceptable for teachers to have fixed holidays, resulting in everybody with children and all teachers being off together - we just have to suck it up and carry on, don’t we?

Yes, we do I suppose. I guess I was lucky when I worked in Boots the Chemist for 8 years back in the 80s and could book holidays up to a year in advance and as each month passed by it released the month in the following year.
Well all I can say is thank you for opening my eyes to reality and, although it will still be frustrating we can't book holidays together, you all think we should take separate ones. He will be pleased!

Casdon Tue 27-Dec-22 17:23:59

It’s just the way it is for so many employees MissingLincs, if you think about it, it’s equally unacceptable for teachers to have fixed holidays, resulting in everybody with children and all teachers being off together - we just have to suck it up and carry on, don’t we?

MissingLincs Tue 27-Dec-22 17:19:42

Casdon

Looking at it from the other perspective though MissingLincs, he could book the last two weeks off for March 2024, and have Easter off then with 12 months advance notice as Easter is at the end of March. It’s swings and roundabouts. It’s quite normal not to be able to book leave before the new leave year.

Yes, I suppose he could and then when he's back from his holiday alone, I could go and have my holiday during the school holidays starting on Friday 29th March 2024.
I guess I really didn't know that you can't request a holiday in April one week before the plane takes off. You have all shown me that this is true (and from your replies, wholly acceptable!)

LOUISA1523 Tue 27-Dec-22 16:52:56

I'm NHS and this is very normal....for all the school holidays we put in requests and its authorised a couple of weeks before

Allsorts Tue 27-Dec-22 16:52:49

MissingLink, why don’t you believe your husband? That’s what need addressing. I wonder how you make him feel. Go on your own to see your sister then you can book as far in advance as you like. I can’t imagine being married to someone I didn’t believe.

Casdon Tue 27-Dec-22 16:40:00

Looking at it from the other perspective though MissingLincs, he could book the last two weeks off for March 2024, and have Easter off then with 12 months advance notice as Easter is at the end of March. It’s swings and roundabouts. It’s quite normal not to be able to book leave before the new leave year.

MissingLincs Tue 27-Dec-22 16:30:05

Believe me, I understand there are rules about who can book holidays and when but it's the fact they can't put their request in yet. So if you wanted to go on holiday on 10th April 2023 you have to wait until 6th April 2023 to put your request in.
Our holiday in August will be to visit his parents in Canada ( he hasn't seen them for 10 years!)

biglouis Tue 27-Dec-22 12:38:43

When I worked in local government (libraries 1960s - 1980s) the leave year began in April. You were not allowed to carry over unused leave from one year to another. Allocation was done by seniority and if someone ahead of you on the list picked the dates you wanted then you couldnt have it.

Everyone got to pick one "block" which could be anything from 1 day to your entire allocation. Then the choosing continued until everyone had picked their full allocation of leave.

If you wanted the same week/s as someone else senior to you and they refused to swap you would have to take it unpaid. Thats just how it was.

VioletSky Tue 27-Dec-22 12:27:58

I work in a school so no choice but my husbands holiday booking runs from January and he can't book before then.

I think it's to give everyone the same opportunity to book time off and it's first come first served... otherwise people could book years in advance

GagaJo Tue 27-Dec-22 12:22:06

I used to work for Lloyds. There was a holiday hierarchy. Lowly new entrants got last pick of holiday dates which meant some parents never got time off in school hols.

tanith Tue 27-Dec-22 12:17:10

He should approach his manager and explain about the need to book flights in advance, it’s at their discretion to allow this and as it’s a long haul flight he should understand. Tell your husband to put his request in writing to HR if he says no.

Lathyrus Tue 27-Dec-22 11:49:19

Actually, in many jobs you’re not always guaranteed to get the holiday leave you’ve booked. You can be told a few days beforehand that your leave is cancelled. Public and private. I think in education you get a distorted view of what other jobs are like in regard to holiday leave.

Why do you need OH with your to go and see your sister?

silverlining48 Tue 27-Dec-22 11:38:27

My Dh had to book his full annual leave entitlement by November for the following year if he didn’t he was allotted random weeks through the year. Sometimes midwinter, by employers. He was in public service (police).
It drove me mad.

MissingLincs Tue 27-Dec-22 11:30:12

Thank you for your replies. So interesting!
This is why we can never go on holiday to visit my sister in California at Easter. I couldn't book flights in advance and then wait until a week before we are due to fly for my husband to ask for the following week off. And if this is normal practice within the private sector, then I think someone should try and get it changed.
I'm so surprised those that have replied have said this is usual.

notgran Tue 27-Dec-22 10:35:16

Gosh! Why would you doubt your husband is telling the truth and not believe him? I think that is your problem, not trusting your OH.

ExperiencedNotOld Tue 27-Dec-22 10:15:34

Many offices, particularly in the private sector, appear to have developed such arcane rules due, I think, running on just about enough staff at best, I suspect worsened by absences or vacancies. Profit is king.

ayse Tue 27-Dec-22 10:15:30

Some years ago in the Civil Service we were unable to book until the new leave year. So it’s not that unusual.

Knittingnovice Tue 27-Dec-22 10:13:04

I've worked in a few companies and they have different policies. Sometimes it depends on the line manager too

MissingLincs Tue 27-Dec-22 10:07:38

AIBU to think it's wrong that my husband says that he can't book (or put in a request) for his holidays for August next year?
He says he can't put in his holiday request until we are in the actual tax year that the dates of the time off fall in but I say, what if we wanted to go on holiday in the second week of the Easter school holidays? Or May half-term? (I've worked in a school for 28 years!)
He says most places are like this but I don't believe him as people can book and pay for holidays and flights up to a year in advance!
Is it because I work in a school and know when all the (expensive- I'm not on teacher's salary!) holidays are that I really didn't know that you can't book your holidays from work until April? If this is correct, it is so wrong, but I get so frustrated when he says it's too early to put in his request.
Please help so we stop having the arguments!