Special apple pie recipe from hunhun007
Ingredients6 eggs (yolks and whites separated)
250g unsalted butter or margarine
350g plain flour
250g icing sugar
2 tsp vanilla sugar
3 tsp baking powder
Cinnamon (to taste)
Handy HintOnce cool you can add a little bit of icing sugar on top to make it look even nicer.
Method1. For the pastry - mix flour, baking powder, vanilla sugar and butter (ideally all will be at room temp)
After pastry starts to form add the egg yolks, one at a time. Mix all together, form ball, cover with cling film and put into the fridge.
2. Peel all apples, use grater to shred into small pieces. Once ready put into sieve to get rid of excess juice.
3. Take flat baking form – roasting tin can be used if needed – spread some butter into it.
Split your pastry ¼ and ¾ - ¼ leave in the fridge for now; take ¾ part, roll flat and placed at the bottom of your baking tin.
4. Once ready fill with apples (make sure that they are not very wet and juicy). Add cinnamon on top of the apples. Now you are ready for meringue…
5. Put 6 whites into mixing bowl. Mix until firm. After about 5 min of mixing add icing sugar. Once extra firm and solid place on top of cinnamon apples
6. Once meringue is on top of your pie; take 1/4 leftover pastry; split into tiny pieces and put crumbles on top of meringues (you can also use grater to do it)
7. Bake at 220C for about 30 min. After 10 min reduce temp to 180C.