Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Anyone manage without a conventional oven

(60 Posts)
Madwoman11 Sun 11-Feb-24 19:56:46

Our very old oven is no longer working efficiently so we are wondering if we could manage without an oven.
Should we buy an alternative perhaps? We no longer make traditional roast dinners although occasionally we do make pies and lasagna.
Decisions decisions confused

Caleo Sun 11-Feb-24 20:11:59

I have used a table top oven for years . It has been good enough for my little needs , and is economical for such as toasted cheese.

Ashcombe Sun 11-Feb-24 20:14:41

My immediate answer would be yes! I have had a combination microwave oven, plus, for the last few years, I've had an air fryer. In the last nine years since moving into this flat, I used the traditional oven just once and that was when I had company and needed to cook several pizzas at once.

I can make a roast in the combination microwave oven and you could cook pies and lasagna, too. Initially, I didn't have an air fryer but find it most useful and cheaper to run!

The oven is still useful - as an extra food cupboard!!

Luckygirl3 Sun 11-Feb-24 20:20:30

Microwave plus Remoska.
I only use the actual oven for the Christmas cake.

BlueBelle Sun 11-Feb-24 20:24:15

Haven’t used my oven for a year Airfryer and microwave are my main kitchen items

SheepyIzzy Sun 11-Feb-24 20:30:24

Madwoman11

Our very old oven is no longer working efficiently so we are wondering if we could manage without an oven.
Should we buy an alternative perhaps? We no longer make traditional roast dinners although occasionally we do make pies and lasagna.
Decisions decisions confused

I don't use mine due to electric costs but have alternative cooking means.

I use my airfryer for grilling chops, belly pork, chicken portions (was actually the only reason I bought it), joints go in slow cooker in warmer months, currently they go in cast iron pots on top of my Multi Fuel stove. Yes, pots heavy, but I get great pleasure knowing that dinner cooked free!

We like jacket potatoes and normally whack them in microwave for about 20 minutes, but forgo the crispy skin, 2 around 280g each, in one of my little 20cm cast iron pots, small amount of water at bottom, bit of butter, 2 hours later they done. Mum actually said nicer than microwave and should have them more often.

Gas hob for quick frying/poaching.

I haven't mastered pastry In the airfryer yet (mince pies) but have done a lasagne in slow cooker and airfryer, by using a foil tray.

PamelaJ1 Sun 11-Feb-24 20:45:33

This is interesting, we are in Aus at the moment and are off to look at appliances today. SinL is building a house to sell and I am giving him the benefit of my experience. I’m not sure it’s always welcome but he did listen to me when I put my case for drawers not cupboards under the workbench.
We have always cooked a lot and entertained so have a double oven, an ordinary microwave and an air fryer.
We don’t entertain on a large scale anymore and I think that a single oven, a combi microwave and the air fryer would be my choice now. I don’t think I could give up my oven completely.

Lomo123 Sun 11-Feb-24 20:54:32

My oven hasn't worked for years. I use a table top one purchased from Argos. Been a great buy. It heats in seconds. When I get new kitchen in I ll replace oven then.

Gummie Sun 11-Feb-24 22:31:02

I rarely use my conventional oven. I use my airfryer for anything that would have gone in the oven. I only use the big oven if I’m making something that is to big for the air fryer.

NotSpaghetti Sun 11-Feb-24 23:47:45

I would replace the oven. Doesn't need to be an expensive one.

Sago Mon 12-Feb-24 09:53:51

I am a big user of the oven as I bake bread etc.
However if I was to live without I would use my Instantpot, it’s an air fryer/slow cooker/pressure cooker/bake/roast/grill and more, I would also invest in a thermomix, £1200 but an incredible machine.

Smileless2012 Mon 12-Feb-24 09:59:37

I couldn't be without mine.

shysal Mon 12-Feb-24 10:09:24

I don't use my oven since previously using a Remoska and recently an air fryer. If I had to choose again I would buy an oven air fryer, as it has shelves and more space but still with the air frying advantages. There are videos on You Tube to inform you.

Salti Mon 12-Feb-24 10:32:13

During lockdown I needed a new cooker to replace my ancient gas one, but there ware literally none exactly like I wanted available. For over a year I used the slow cooker or tabletop halogen oven. Eventually one day I was browsing the Internet and there was the cooker I wanted. I did think about did I really need it. My husband started murmering about cakes and buns and I'm now so glad that I bought it.

Theexwife Mon 12-Feb-24 11:15:36

Two years since I have used my oven, I use an airfryer and microwave.

Madwoman11 Mon 12-Feb-24 11:19:01

Thank you everyone

Borrheid55 Mon 12-Feb-24 11:21:11

I have a Drew&Cole multi cooker, a halogen tabletop oven and a combination microwave. That covers all our needs for roasts, grills, stews and casseroles. They are all easy to use and clean.

NotSpaghetti Mon 12-Feb-24 11:26:02

The thermomix looks fabulous.
It looks like it can add things in batches! This is one of the few gadgets that genuinely look like they would be useful to me. . I can't stretch to that on a whim though- no matter how great it looks.

I'm not entirely sure though if being limited to 2.2 litres is enough.
Lol!
I suppose I could throw caution to the wind and have 2 grin

AreWeThereYet Mon 12-Feb-24 13:08:56

I only use the oven when I am cooking for a crowd. So only a few times a year. But I do use the hob, the Ninja air fryer/pressure cooker, and a slow cooker to batch cook. Almost every meal (for 2) can be done pretty easily in the air fryer/on the hob.

Freya5 Mon 12-Feb-24 14:47:48

Sago

I am a big user of the oven as I bake bread etc.
However if I was to live without I would use my Instantpot, it’s an air fryer/slow cooker/pressure cooker/bake/roast/grill and more, I would also invest in a thermomix, £1200 but an incredible machine.

I have successfully baked bread in my Samsung combi microwave, has hot blast which is the same as a conventional oven.

Sago Mon 12-Feb-24 15:26:01

NotSpaghetti

The thermomix looks fabulous.
It looks like it can add things in batches! This is one of the few gadgets that genuinely look like they would be useful to me. . I can't stretch to that on a whim though- no matter how great it looks.

I'm not entirely sure though if being limited to 2.2 litres is enough.
Lol!
I suppose I could throw caution to the wind and have 2 grin

It’s really fabulous, I have a few friends with them.
I had a free demonstration in my home, it’s life changing but I can’t justify it😬.

Lexisgranny Mon 12-Feb-24 16:31:36

We have an Airfryer and a microwave which could actually serve all our needs. However we had a new kitchen last year and actually debated whether we should buy an oven at all, or just buy the hob. Eventually it was pointed out to us that should we wish to sell our home the lack of an oven could be drawback. It has been sitting there for 10 months and I tried it out last week for the first time, this will not be regular event!!

NannyJan53 Mon 12-Feb-24 16:38:13

I cook with an Air Fryer and microwave. Only time I used the oven in the past year was Christmas Day.

There are only 2 of us here though.

harrigran Tue 13-Feb-24 09:42:17

I have two ovens which are used every day but DD only has a table top oven, she seem to manage fine but all celebration meals like Christmas and birthdays are spent here anyway.
I do think a kitchen would look strange without an oven.

dragonfly46 Tue 13-Feb-24 09:47:29

I use my oven every day despite having an air fryer and microwave.