Gransnet forums

Chat

Our Mums on Gransnet?

(35 Posts)
Greatnan Sat 09-Feb-13 09:40:46

My mother - DD3 is wonderful, she takes me on holiday with them every year and makes the long trip up from Surrey to Manchester every month, with a toddler and a new baby. I don't think her husband is good enough for her. I have always adored her and I know she loves me very much. I love her sisters and her brother, of course, but she was my last baby and she has always been very special.

My MIL. I thought my DIL was far too young to get married, at 18, and I didn't like the fact that she had been brought up as a catholic. However, she now says she is an atheist and they got married in a registry office, so that is not so bad. They have a nice three-bedroomed semi and seem to have a very good life, but I have still not got over losing my son's money every week.
Later. I am very proud of my DIL because she taught a neighbour's son and he said she was a brilliant teacher. She is now a Head teacher which means I can boast about her.
Later still: She has broken my son's heart by asking for a divorce after twenty years - I always said she was too young to get married.

shysal Sat 09-Feb-13 09:29:08

My mother - Why does DD keep fussing over me and insisting on looking after me? Why can't she be more like DS who lets me do his ironing because he and DIL work so hard? Now, where did I hide that bottle of cider?

My MIL - DS married a lovely girl, she can sew, knit and cook. She spends hours making hand-crafted presents for me just to save money. I keep the quilted/ruched velvet cushions she made me inside fluffy orange covers to keep them clean. I hope she visits soon, I need somebody to change my clocks now the hour has gone on, she is very practical for a woman. However, I have told her that her house needs a good 'bottoming', and that I would love to get in there with a scrubbing brush!

Barrow Sat 09-Feb-13 09:23:00

My Mother What is wrong with my daughter, she insists on doing things her way rather than the way I taught her, she has been married for several years and has still not produced a grandchild, she only visits twice a week and says thats all she can manage as she works full time, she also takes me shopping on Saturdays and I usually go to her for Sunday lunch, why can't she be more like my son, he hardly ever visits but I don't expect him to as he has a full time job and 2 children and his wife doesn't drive so I don't see the GC very often but he will ring at least once a month

My MiL I have been very lucky will all my DiL (I have 5 sons). They don't need any advice from me and I am happy I raised my sons to have the good sense to marry such wonderful women

baubles Sat 09-Feb-13 09:18:20

My mother

'When I decided to move back home I didn't give a thought to the fact that I may have grandchildren some time in the future. Ah well, I'll see them once in a while I expect, meantime I'm back with my mother and siblings and that's what makes me happy'

Mother in law

'She's an odd one alright, a bit prickly and proud. Still, my boy seems happy enough and she is bringing up lovely children. I've got so many grandchildren though I don't have a lot of time to spend with them'

kittylester Sat 09-Feb-13 08:48:51

My mother - how embarrassing, my daughter has 5 children! Luckily she has help in the house because I've never seen her do any cleaning. As for the clothes she wears - really! It's a shame she isn't more like DS2's wife.

My MiL - I thought DS3 had made a mistake when he got married but she has turned out to be ok. She is a good mother and a good cook. Shame she can't sew as well. She is my favourite daughter in law.

harrigran Fri 08-Feb-13 23:18:55

My mother
Of my three children DD2 is the only one with children but she does not need my help, why not ? it is only twelve years since I had my last baby. She was a nurse and thinks she knows everything about child rearing, just wait

My MIL
My son is married to a lovely girl, she is like the daughter I never had. My GC are well brought up, intelligent and good mannered, I am a very lucky granny

Sadly my MIL was not a lucky lady, she died when she was 58 without seeing her GC grow up.

vampirequeen Fri 08-Feb-13 22:34:27

My mother
I just don't know why my daughter won't listen to me. She never has any money and her two daughters aged 6 and 2 are going to grow up to be juvenile deliquents. Her house is never tidy. She should never have got married and had children. Her husband is a waste of space. He'll never amount to anything. He's a drunkard. Such a waste of a good brain. She had all the chances but never took them. I'll never understand young women of today So many opportunities but they choose to have children instead then don't bring them up properly.

My MIL
Why oh why did my dear son marry this woman? She trapped him. She's obsessed with cleaning and tidying. She's such a snob and thinks she's so much better than me. She doesn't look after my son properly. He works so hard and she never shows any gratitude. He tells me how she nags him just for going for a drink after work. She doesn't feed him properly and insists that he doesn't have to have gravy with every meal even though I told her he did when they got married and I'm sure she doesn't air his underpants properly.

Notice a pattern......neither liked me hmm

merlotgran Fri 08-Feb-13 22:33:31

I tried to teach my mother to type many years ago. I gave up. A keyboard doesn't mean you play it like a piano!

janeainsworth Fri 08-Feb-13 22:30:36

I don't think my mum would have got past swearing at the computer grin

Granny23 Fri 08-Feb-13 22:08:19

Looking at Gransnet today I suddenly wondered what my Mum would have posted if there had been a site like this when she was a Granny. Perhaps -

*Am I being unreasonable* to think that if my DD2 insists on still breastfeeding her DD2 that she could at least do it in private in her own home and not tell (in fact boast to) my neighbours and friends about it? What will they think of my family. With all the excellent baby milks on the market there is no need for this generation of women to be like milk cows.

Also - am I unreasonable to expect a little more consideration, given the state of my health, than to have her arrive here every other week, in the afternoon with two noisy toddlers (she childminds my other DGD 3 days a week) and a baby.

Meanwhile, my MIL would also be on AIBU -

*Am I being unreasonable* to expect my DIL to bring my 2 DGDs to see me more often than once a fortnight. They only come when my DS can drive them here, so it has to be a Sunday as that is his only day off. I know it means 3 buses for her but the children are free. She seems to think I should visit them = three buses at my age! I'm nearly 60 and haven't been on a bus for 20 years. By the way, I think the real reason is that she is thick as thieves with her mother and has her over everyday playing with MY DGC.

What would your DM/MIL have posted?