Gransnet forums

Chat

Is it just me?

(51 Posts)
alex57currie Mon 27-Oct-14 11:18:43

Hi everyone. I'm new to this, so please be patient. First of, I'm not an English language expert. If I make mistakes I'm quite acceptable to constructive critisism. That being said I'll get to the point. Over a period of time I've noticed something creeping into our daily speech and written text. I'ts the use of the two letter word "of" to replace "have". My 34 yr. old daughter uses it in her daily speech, and we've had to agree to disagree. Maybe I'm just a pedantic dinosaur and it's the natural evolution of our language. It seems it takes more mouth muscles to incorporate it into a sentence. Feedback appreciated positive or negative. BTW, I've navigated round most of the forum, and I must say I find you all interesting and amazing. Glad I joined, even if I'm metaphorically shot down in flames with this new thread. (hmm)

kittylester Mon 27-Oct-14 11:36:43

Welcome alex - hope you enjoy GN wine

I hate it - it is wrong! I think we've had a thread on this before but I'm sure we are all happy to moan about it, and no doubt other things, again! grin

Ana Mon 27-Oct-14 11:49:15

No, it is certainly not just you, alex!

In my local supermarket the other day I was passing a young couple apparently worrying about whether they should have bought something or other earlier. "Yes, we should of" she said, and I had to tell myself it was none of my business...grin

FarNorth Mon 27-Oct-14 11:50:04

No shooting down in flames from me smile.

Yes, I've noticed that too. It doesn't make sense to me, especially when I see it in writing, as it is completely the wrong word for what the person is trying to say.

Ana Mon 27-Oct-14 11:50:48

It also annoys me when characters say it on tv programmes (especially soaps). The producers, or someone, must know it's incorrect and sets a bad example, but it still goes on.

Agus Mon 27-Oct-14 11:51:28

Welcome alex

I am aware of this one too but I think it's probably down to lazy speech as many people say should've instead of should have thus the listener interprets this as should of. Still don't think it's right though grin

FarNorth Mon 27-Oct-14 11:52:30

Do you think it is actually so widespread that soaps are using it because it reflects everyday speech?

Ana Mon 27-Oct-14 11:55:36

Possibly, but it's only one or two specific characters I've noticed using it. It just makes it seem acceptable, whereas it doesn't actually make any sense at all!

hildajenniJ Mon 27-Oct-14 12:00:18

Hello Alex and welcome aboard.

This also annoys me. My DD uses of instead of have on a regular basis.
She also says then instead of than. I don't correct her because I remember all the time and heartache we spent taking her to speech therapy when she was four years old.
I thought she would never learn to speak properly, and am so grateful to the Speech Therapist for all her hard work. My DD ought to be congratulated also.smile

annodomini Mon 27-Oct-14 12:31:10

The fact that 'must've', 'would've', 'should've' etc have morphed into 'must of' 'would of' and 'should of' will never make these forms correct or acceptable, especially in written English.

Soutra Mon 27-Oct-14 13:03:47

Oh alex57currie you will find a comfy chair just waiting for you with us other "pedants"(aka people who regularly enjoy a rant know and use correct grammar and are only too aware of its absence in the world around us). I hope everyone took notice of and appreciated the correctly omitted apostrophe in "its " grin ?

Soutra Mon 27-Oct-14 13:05:42

I meant to add, we have our own "playground" aka Pedants' Corner

janerowena Mon 27-Oct-14 13:06:42

No, not just you - however I have my own foibles, and am aware that language is an ever-changing organism. I often start sentences with 'But', 'And', and so on, and am only too aware that my old English teacher must be turning in her grave.

Mishap Mon 27-Oct-14 14:05:39

It is of course grammatically wrong and for a long time I found it an irritant. But I think in the end we just have to put it down to language evolving - it is so common now that it is almost "right." Many of the things we say now than are deemed correct are corruptions of what was once correct.

Teetime Mon 27-Oct-14 14:43:09

Yes its wrong but I have heard it on the BBC!! On BBC Breakfast the finance correspondent I think she is called Steph regularly uses it.

mollie65 Mon 27-Oct-14 15:03:22

but it is wrong - not just an evolution of speech
'of' has a specific meaning and is miles away from meaning the same as 'have' - it is just laziness
my other pet hate is txt speak - it is shorthand for use on a mobile phone not an adaptation of the English language (which is a wonderful language with so many beautiful words.) sigh - shock
I did not realise I am morphing into a pedant. grin

thatbags Mon 27-Oct-14 15:05:24

Writing of in place of have is certainly wrong. Saying of in place of 've is forgivable and that is where the mistake has happened and, it would seem, petrified.

I think we may just have to lump it from some people but carry on with the correct usage ourselves.

Margsus Mon 27-Oct-14 15:18:57

Couldn't agree more! Another one that makes me cross is "bored of" - should it not be "bored with"? Or maybe I'm wrong....wouldn't be the first time!

PRINTMISS Mon 27-Oct-14 16:46:34

I didn't realise it was becoming a habit! My daughter used it the other day, and I was really surprised, because she is usually so correct. and quite articulate. She mixes with all ages and groups, so it is just something which is common I suppose. Doesn't mean we have to like it.

moomin Mon 27-Oct-14 20:47:15

"off of" Aaaagh!!!!

sylwright Mon 27-Oct-14 21:23:19

I am definitely with you on this one. I also hate it when people substitute "f" for "th". I spent ages teaching my children the right way to say these words when they were small and it irritates me when I hear people, particularly on TV, say them.

One of the chasers on the quiz show says "firty free fousand pounds", I could scream when I hear it.

Deedaa Mon 27-Oct-14 21:46:49

The things that drive me mad are "would of", "bored of" and the use of "may" instead of "might".

There is also DD's habit of talking about "wa-er" and "bo--les" you'd think that with a PhD she would be able to sound the letter T!

Greenfinch Mon 27-Oct-14 21:53:20

I had a real drive on this one when I was teaching and if the student was still doing it in the Sixth Form ,I would make them write out the rule so they always had it to hand ie should ,might,may etc are all modal verbs and as such are followed by the infinitive (present or perfect) without the "to". Therefore when talking about the past we use the perfect infinitive eg should (to)have seen him.

Sorry to be ultra pedantic but I love it !

Purpledaffodil Mon 27-Oct-14 22:59:31

Margsus and Printmiss, thank you very much for raising the 'bored of' topic. I have had several heated discussions with DD over this one. She too is usually a grammar freak and I began to think that I must be wrong. It just sounds so ugly and...wrong. I agree too about 'of' instead of 'have'. Children write it in their stories now and it is nonsense. I know language is a living thing, but this is plain sloppy angry

Coolgran65 Mon 27-Oct-14 23:34:24

A big irritation to me is.... learn/teach.
I.e. he learned me !! Aaaaggghhhh.

I learn, you teach.