Gransnet forums

Chat

Is it just me?

(52 Posts)
alex57currie Mon 27-Oct-14 11:18:43

Hi everyone. I'm new to this, so please be patient. First of, I'm not an English language expert. If I make mistakes I'm quite acceptable to constructive critisism. That being said I'll get to the point. Over a period of time I've noticed something creeping into our daily speech and written text. I'ts the use of the two letter word "of" to replace "have". My 34 yr. old daughter uses it in her daily speech, and we've had to agree to disagree. Maybe I'm just a pedantic dinosaur and it's the natural evolution of our language. It seems it takes more mouth muscles to incorporate it into a sentence. Feedback appreciated positive or negative. BTW, I've navigated round most of the forum, and I must say I find you all interesting and amazing. Glad I joined, even if I'm metaphorically shot down in flames with this new thread. (hmm)

specki4eyes Sat 01-Nov-14 06:53:33

Thank you Alex - don't 'do' Twitter or Facebook...does it indicate a subject heading or something? And, by the way, welcome to the #Gransnet Bike Shed! I hide out here from time to time - there are a lot of bright women (and a few brave men) inside. (Please don't take offence at the word "bike" girls!) smile