Gransnet forums

Chat

Does it matter if you live in a 'Street'

(105 Posts)
kittylester Thu 30-Oct-14 09:18:30

Another of my Mum's Mrs Bucket moments yesterday:

For the 20th time on this visit alone

Mum: So, where do all your children live?
Me: Well, DS1 lives in a flat in town, DS2 lives in our village, DD1 lives in Derby, DD.........
Mum: Where in Derby does she live?
Me: *** Street.
Mum: Oh!
Me: What do you mean 'Oh'
Mum: A Street (along the same lines as 'A handbag!!')

It set me wondering whether addresses count nowadays? I've said before that we live on what was called 'Catsick Lane' so I don't have leg to stand on grin

Mum would be very impressed if anyone lived in a Close or on a Crescent - do you judge people by their addresses?

annodomini Thu 30-Oct-14 13:39:49

Strangely, my grandparents lived on a Terrace, although all the houses there were detached. hmm

Charleygirl Thu 30-Oct-14 13:41:46

I live in a mews. I know most of the folk who live here which is a bonus for London.

Tegan Thu 30-Oct-14 14:12:41

I suppose you know that mews were where the gentry kept their birds of prey? [they told me that on my hawk walk last year]....

grumppa Thu 30-Oct-14 14:16:09

As far as I can remember, I have lived successively in Road, Road, Avenue (South Wales - there's posh!), Road, Road, Road, Street and Street (High and then near the printing works and canal, Oxford), Avenue (undistinguished in East London), Road, Road, Side (to distinguish from Forest every other type of highway in the neighbourhood), and Road again.

Can't conceive of any conclusion that could, or indeed should, be drawn from all this!

grannyactivist Thu 30-Oct-14 14:19:32

My husband was brought up in B** House, Town Name. When he gave me his home address I pushed him for a street or road name and he rather sheepishly told me that there really wasn't one. The town has a population of about 8,000 so I was initially a bit puzzled at such a scanty address - and then the Christmas after we married I paid my first visit and realised why it needed nothing more. It's a beautiful Georgian house and the surrounding area is actually named after the house. I admit to being more than a little awed, but it was a wonderfully homely house and my family all became very attached to it after spending many happy holidays there. (Sold now.)

My house is on a road and has a name, H*** House, but no number. I feel a bit self-conscious when I give my address and usually say something like, 'it sounds much grander than it is' - I think it's a bit of inverted snobbery on my part because I grew up in a council house and still have to pinch myself to think that I live in a large house in a beautiful town.

My husband's gran was the prototype Hyacinth Bucket and once boasted to me that her son (my father in law) had 'never had to live in a house that had a number'.

ninathenana Thu 30-Oct-14 14:49:24

I grew up on a council estate * Avenue no trees there ! Moved to * Road now * Parade which again sounds grand but it isn't grin

glammanana Thu 30-Oct-14 14:54:00

Kitty How I love your mums HB moments I think she may like my address as I live in --- Vale a small development between two small housing developments of the same name --- Grove & --- Avenue,would that suit her grin
I ahve also lived in a Street/Road/Boulevard during my house moves.

Maggiemaybe Thu 30-Oct-14 15:40:34

I've always lived in Streets, Strasses or Terraces apart from one sojourn on a Lane (but in a Workingmen's Club) and my student flat in a Drive (the scruffiest of all, as nearly all the houses were divided up for student accommodation), so I certainly wouldn't pass muster!

My lowly Street is in a very HB area though and I once went to a primary school PTA meeting where we were asked to jot down which Avenue, Close or Crescent we lived in.

kittylester Thu 30-Oct-14 15:59:08

Glamma, I was rather peed off by that stage and only saw the humour when I was offloading on poor DH, as usual! Mum had been really rude to her lovely carer and then the repitition was worse than usual so I'm afraid I left before I totally lost patience with her! sad

goldengirl Thu 30-Oct-14 16:18:55

I've generally lived in 'Roads' but it wasn't until I came to the mainland that I realised that houses relied on numbers rather than names!!!!

Pittcity Thu 30-Oct-14 16:23:57

I live in an "End", take that however you wish wink

numberplease Thu 30-Oct-14 16:28:43

I started life on a road, then we moved to an avenue, then I lived on a road again, then onto a street, then a road, then a drove, another road, a lane, now, for the last 29 years, we`ve lived on a Bank, we call it a river bank, but it`s actually a canal, definitely wouldn`t be approved of by Hyacinth Bucket! And like others have said, it causes confusion because there`s also a Crescent and a Terrace of the same name, and all fairly close together.

ginny Thu 30-Oct-14 17:02:44

I've lived in Gardens, Road, Road, Drive and now Rise.
I expect I would still be the same person if I moved to a Street.

absent Thu 30-Oct-14 17:41:11

I'm not sure that Street is below Road in Hyacinth's world – they are probably equally contemptible. I would guess that the only acceptable address for anyone who lives in an urban environment, rather than a country manor, would be Square. And she would expect it to have a locked private garden in the centre. Crescent might just cut the mustard – but only if it is Bath.

janerowena Thu 30-Oct-14 17:47:14

I read somewhere that a house is instantly devalued if it is in a street. It's assumed that it will be crammed in tightly, small and noisy. It's silly, because although that may be the case in towns, it rarely is in the countryside. The residents along the length of Watling Street had always wondered why their houses weren't worth as much as those of their neighbours.

Eloethan Thu 30-Oct-14 17:54:10

What about "Mews" - does that have a grand ring to it? (although I think mews were formerly stables).

And "Walk"?

We're just plain old "road".

Charleygirl Thu 30-Oct-14 17:58:59

The first house that my ex and I bought was in a lane in London. It was no more a lane than fly- it was one of the longest roads that I have seen, it must be around 2 miles long but the houses were lovely, overlooking a park. When I lived there I was under the mistaken impression that the road, sorry lane was wider than it is.

janerowena Thu 30-Oct-14 18:01:18

Yes, I think mews was on the list I read. I wish I could find it. Lane was good. Court wasn't, because it implies flat conversions now rather than big posh houses.

It seems the americans are just as bad, I found that very strange.

www.trulia.com/trends/2012/09/which-homes-typically-cost-more/

Although we don't have 'trail's. Maybe we should!

apricot Thu 30-Oct-14 18:04:50

Like Marmight I'm in a Place, originally a small group of labourers' cottages off a road, with no vehicular access. 40 years ago a road and a row of ugly houses were built opposite, so we have numbers 1 to 3 on both sides of the road and nobody's been able to deliver anything to the correct house since.

Galen Thu 30-Oct-14 18:29:57

I live in a close. (But it isn't as you can access it from both ends)

kittylester Thu 30-Oct-14 18:36:01

Now I don't know whether to be pleased or not confused

When we first moved here we were told the address was was Court, Road! We were then told, by the Council that they had never given permission for the school conversion and the development around it to be called Court and they gave us numbers. It took us ages trying to get banks, mortgage providers etc to accept that we hadn't moved and we were, initially, refused a mobile phone because we hadn't lived at the same address for long enough!

Naturally, our Council Tax Bill and any other communications from the Council are addressed to ** Court. angry

I haven't checked what Mum's position is on the matter. grin

rubysong Thu 30-Oct-14 18:51:06

How about 'View'? That's DS2's address. (It is in fact a terrace.) We just have the house name and the village.

Purpledaffodil Thu 30-Oct-14 19:05:56

Our first married home was in Five Springs, Marsh Farm. We were often told what a lovely address it was. Never liked to tell the admirers we lived on the fourteenth floor of a tower block on a large council estate of ill repute grin

Eloethan Thu 30-Oct-14 19:06:32

It's daft really though isn't it. I know we're treating it as a bit of fun but if things like this impact on house prices I think it's ridiculous.

Like the comment that someone on here said Jilly Cooper made that "the gentry" would never a golden retriever (or whatever dog it was) - it should be black.

All these stupid rules which are just designed to make some people feel out of the loop and inferior.

I'm all for normal, thoughtful courtesies - like giving up seats to less able people, holding doors open, not speaking with your mouth full, etc.,etc., but who cares whether the toilet lid is left up or down, whether a person says "how do you do" or "pleased to meet you", etc.

Ana Thu 30-Oct-14 19:16:49

I certainly care about the toilet seat! It drives me mad when men who live in a household with one or more women insist on leaving it up, despite requests not to do so [tlhangry]

(That's the seat, not the lid of course)

Back to addresses...