Gransnet forums

Chat

Pope is anti granny

(81 Posts)
Galen Tue 25-Nov-14 18:39:42

I'm very upset to hear the pope describe Europe as being like a grandmother. Haggard, infertile and lacking in vitality!

How dare he!

lettie Thu 27-Nov-14 16:20:45

I am very disappointed in what the Roman Pontiff has chosen to say. I may or may not be infertile - haven't tested that out lately wink, but certainly consider myself vibrant. Yet again we have been defined by our reproductive arc.

Now might be the right time to share this:
Research into males and dancing (by Dr Peter Lovatt, University of Hertfordshire) produced the conclusion (among others) that males between 35 - 60 make complex dance moves with limited coordination ('dad-dancing'). The conclusion the researchers came to is that what they are unwittingly saying to younger women is 'stay away, I'm not fertile'.

As Dr Lovatt said: "It's like an apple that is going brown – you want a fresh green one instead."

Come on, public figures and role-models, use a bit more imagination when writing your speeches and cut the gender bias. We all change as we grow older, and not necessarily for the worse.

Lona Thu 27-Nov-14 16:26:55

hildajenniJ "Three hours in Waitrose vacuuming!" You are definitely not lacking in vitality! wink

Lona Thu 27-Nov-14 16:28:48

You work there! Duh!!! Sorry smile

harrigran Thu 27-Nov-14 19:03:02

Well that's rich coming from a dried up old prune of a Pontiff.

rosequartz Thu 27-Nov-14 19:17:58

And why did he pick 'grandmother' as the analogy and not 'grandfather'?