Gransnet forums

Chat

Royal baby's name.

(246 Posts)
shysal Tue 31-Mar-15 10:34:36

What are your predictions? I am sure it will be something traditional like Alice or James.

HildaW Tue 31-Mar-15 14:16:32

Methinks they should, having collectively breathed a sigh at not loosing Scotland, use a Scottish name. Robert springs to mind or Mary (an old name I'm warming too for some reason).

Tegan Tue 31-Mar-15 14:31:26

It's got to be Demelza for a girl, especially as the Camerons gave their little girl a Cornish name.

hildajenniJ Tue 31-Mar-15 15:02:55

If you want a Scottish name, there have been several kings of Scotland called Duncan, or Malcolm.
And for a princess: Morag or Catriona
I do like the sound of those!

alittlebitlikeme Tue 31-Mar-15 15:22:05

Well, they don't go for anything very daring, do they? And all the usual kings' names have been used up by other family members. So I think they'll go for something else safe that's been used by the royal family before - like Albert or Arthur. Of course, we did have an English king called Alfred the Great and Alfie is quite a popular name these days. So I reckon that's another possible. As for girls' names - it's got to be Victoria, hasn't it?

ninathenana Tue 31-Mar-15 16:21:09

Did anyone other than DH and I hear a newsreader sometime last week say " As William and Kate await the birth of their second son" He can't know so obviously a booboo, be interesting to see if he's right though. tbugrin

HildaW Tue 31-Mar-15 16:47:31

Ah well they are getting quite good at the old 'heir and spare' nowadays. However having had two daughters - who have grown up to make me burst with pride - I'd wish a daughter on her if I had the power.
Soon after I'd had my first in rather difficult circumstances, a sweet elderly neighbour to my Mum said something along the lines of 'have a daughter and you have a friend for life'.....and despite the odd disagreement both my girls are fearfully loyal and loving to their old Mum.

NotTooOld Tue 31-Mar-15 16:47:55

nina - there's a 50% chance that he is! :-)

rosesarered Tue 31-Mar-15 19:09:37

Well,as they chose George the first time around, they aren't going to be too daring the second time either.Alice, Mary,perhaps for a girl, and Philip, Michael, Alexander,David, for a boy.Still, we could be amazed if Dwayne is chosen.
I was conceived in Scarborough, just musing that it wouldn't be a bad name really, could be worse(Luton.)

Maggiemaybe Tue 31-Mar-15 19:44:58

The heir and the spare would work well with a girl as well though, now that the second born will automatically be second in line after William, boy or girl.

My guess would be Alice, Charlotte or Victoria for a girl. My favourite is Frances, but Princess Frances doesn't flow too well grin. My money though, all 5 quid of it, has gone on Matilda. I only normally bet on the Grand National unless I'm having a day at the races, but at 66/1 I thought it was worth a punt!

Like alittlebitlikeme, I think one of the As for a boy - Arthur, Alfred, Albert. They're unlikely to choose a name already in use in the Royal Family, so apart from John there's not a lot else left to pick from.

rosequartz Tue 31-Mar-15 20:02:20

Alice Elizabeth Frances Mary

It would be nice if it was spelt 'Alys'!

Arthur James Philip

apricot Tue 31-Mar-15 20:38:55

Jayden for a boy, Tyla-mia for a girl.
George last time was obviously named after my cat so Alice after my dog would be only right.

jo1book Wed 01-Apr-15 13:28:30

Maggiemaybe. How do you put a bet on? Like you my money is on Matilda. I would like a punt on it. I am going for Frederick is a boy.

rosequartz Wed 01-Apr-15 13:41:23

apricot grin

Princess Tilly hmm I had a great-aunt Tilly (she was not a Matilda though)

Ana Wed 01-Apr-15 13:48:16

I'm not sure about Matilda...that song would be playing everywhere she went, poor girl! tbusad

annodomini Wed 01-Apr-15 13:57:08

Queen Victoria had a great collection of daughters' names:

Victoria Adelaide Mary Louisa
Alice Maud Mary
Helena Augusta Victoria
Louise Caroline Alberta
Beatrice Mary Victoria Feodore

Notice the repetition of Mary and, of course, Victoria. But what is Feodore doing there? I thought that was a male name. I hope we can rule out Maud which isn't very popular these days and isn't Alberta in Canada tbuconfused? And perhaps we don't need another Princess Beatrice yet. tbuhmm

annodomini Wed 01-Apr-15 14:05:52

BtW, there's a nod to Scottish history in Prince George's name: there were three kings of Scotland by the name of Alexander.

Maggiemaybe Wed 01-Apr-15 14:23:47

jo1book, any bookie would be delighted to relieve you of your money. Just walk in and tell the counter assistant what you want to bet on and they'll sort it for you. Try to find a Coral branch - I see they're offering 100 to 1 now!

That'll be your doing, Ana and rose [think]. Though my DS also pointed out yesterday that George and Matilda are both Roald Dahl characters...

I've got to admit the odds are against our bet!

Maggiemaybe Wed 01-Apr-15 14:25:27

[think] should be tbuwink. Ruddy predictive text!

Ana Wed 01-Apr-15 15:15:33

Yup! Thsose bookies hang on our every word, Maggie! tbugrin

Maggiemaybe Wed 01-Apr-15 16:01:17

Us GNers are just so influential grin.

rosequartz Wed 01-Apr-15 17:59:38

Ooh no, I didn't choose Matilda

Although if they want to please the Australians they may pick Matilda, Adelaide or Victoria

Not Alberta please .... (hope none of you Gransnetters are Alberta blush

rosequartz Wed 01-Apr-15 18:01:25

Matilda was very naughty according to Hilaire Belloc:

www.poetry-archive.com/b/matilda.html

Ana Wed 01-Apr-15 18:39:12

I think Maggiemaybe was referring to our respective posts doubting the wisdom of calling the baby Matilda, rosequartz! grin

rosequartz Wed 01-Apr-15 21:57:13

Ah, right, got it (bit slow today)

Once a jolly swagman camped by a billabong,
Under the shade of a Coolibah tree,
And he sang as he watched and waited till his billy boil,
You'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me.

Waltzing Matilda, Waltzing Matilda,
You'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me,
And he sang as he watched and waited till his billy boil
You'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me.

etc

rosequartz Wed 01-Apr-15 21:57:57