Gransnet forums

Chat

A day off.

(31 Posts)
Teetime Mon 03-Aug-15 08:43:27

I've got a day off today. DH has just left to go on a days Bowls Coaching Course and I breathed a sigh of relief as he left. That sounds horrible doesn't it but now and again in this retirement life I need a break from DH roaring round the house in the morning with a very noisy hoover, raging against the latest items on the news and recycling all his much heard views on parenting vis a vis GS. So I'm off to the osteopath and then the gym and then a free afternoon in which I plan to do nothing. He said he might come back at lunchtime - I hope they keep them busy!! grin

apricot Tue 11-Aug-15 20:03:13

You know the old saying about retirement, "I married you for better or worse but not for lunch every day"

NanKate Tue 11-Aug-15 22:02:43

What a relief to know that others too feel overwhelmed by living in close proximity during retirement. DH recently went to help with the grandchildren while I stayed home with a rotten cold.

It was total bliss I watched in bed a few episodes of a good series on Amazon Prime when I would normally would gave been up and about.

I lay down and snoozed whenever I felt tired without DH saying 'Are you ill ?'

I drank a whole bottle of wine over 3 days which is a lot for me. wine

I cooked no proper meals, just things on toast.

I watched Tennis each afternoon.

I went out for morning coffee and bought myself a coconut curry in a pot which I only had to stick in the microwave.

I felt guilty for being so self indulgent but I would repeat it all over again given half a chance. grin

Nonnie Wed 12-Aug-15 11:58:08

Cherry let him take over the kitchen, it works. It also means he has to do the shopping because he knows what he needs. I seem to have convinced DH that he doesn't like me going to the supermarket with him because I rush around and confuse him. As I don't stack the dishwasher 'properly' he has to do that too which means the kitchen really is his including washing the floor as he is the one who makes the mess. Obviously cleaning the cooker is his chore too. Take a lesson from me!

In the meantime I have taken over the garden (apart from the lawns as he likes machines). Washing and ironing are always mine. Some other tasks we share.

Cherrytree59 Wed 12-Aug-15 16:24:29

Yes Nonnie I think I will take a lesson from you. As I hadn't considered the knock on advantages it might have(grin). On the plus side when DH does retire there won't be all the shirts to iron! Tomorrow should be my day off which I shall try to make the most esp if I get sunny day in the garden (smille) I think we will be entering our third age! Only prob is we seem to be squigged between the fourth age (MiL) 1st + 2nd ages offspring + grandchildren all who we love bits but doesn't make for many days off. Its the overwheling feeling of close proximity that you mention Nankate that worries me. Glad even with rotton cold you managed some R+R! Did DH catch man flu? (Grin)

NanKate Thu 13-Aug-15 19:47:33

Yes Cherry he did catch man flu and have an eye infection, but to be honest he made little fuss about it, unlike me who likes to loll on a chaise longue and read my book. hmm