Gransnet forums

Chat

Refugees

(856 Posts)
Katek Fri 28-Aug-15 08:32:59

I could hardly believe it when I looked at the news on my phone this morning to discover that 70 people had died in the back of the lorry in Austria. It's appalling, how can one human being allow this to happen to another?

rosequartz Fri 06-Nov-15 17:50:37

“For destination countries, the impact amounts to a maximum of 0.2 per cent of GDP in 2015, with a small further increase in some countries in 2016.

www.arbeitgeber.de/www%5Carbeitgeber.nsf/res/GDP_CPI_Prod_Forecasts.pdf/$file/GDP_CPI_Prod_Forecasts.pdf

The British Chambers of Commerce (BCC) has upgraded its UK GDP growth forecast for the next two years, from 2.6% to 2.7% in 2015, and 2.4% to 2.6% in 2016, due to stronger than expected growth in household consumption and services. The latest forecast also makes the BCC’s first prediction for UK growth in 2017 - at 2.6%

A bit of a dilemma for Cameron and Osborne.
I expected they are scratching their heads as we post hmm

I would think they are more concerned about taking the number of refugees that we can reasonably and safely assimilate without the problems that have ensued in, for instance, Germany:
america.aljazeera.com/articles/2015/8/28/berlin-germany-europe-refugees.html

harrigran Fri 06-Nov-15 23:47:22

I don't think the Germans are that happy about the number of refugees, a village near to my sister is to have it's population increased by 700%.

durhamjen Sat 07-Nov-15 00:22:36

Roseq, your examples have nothing to do with what I was talking about.
Yours are to do with overall increase in GDP. Mine were to do with the amount of growth specifically to do with refugees.

rosequartz Sat 07-Nov-15 17:47:51

Apologies, wrong link for the German one, it was one I was looking at.
Now I can't find the one I meant to link.
However, it can be worked out if the projected GDP is increased by the percentage that is estimated that the refugee influx will bring.

As for the UK and a specific amount of growth to do with refugees compared to, say, Germany we don't know and won't know.

In fact, Germany was probably desperately short of labour and younger people to earn and pay taxes, and the refugees will help their economy.
Just as immigrant labour has helped the UK's economy over the past few years.

So it is really impossible to quantify.

MargaretX Sat 07-Nov-15 19:58:29

There is not a lot of grumbling about refugees at the moment. People are accepting that from the millions that are coming, Germany will have to take its share. However we are now more organised and a lot from the Balkan countries have been sent home and probably families will not be allowed to follow quite so quickly as these young fathers would like.