Gransnet forums

Chat

Down to earth with a bump!!

(70 Posts)
kittylester Sat 29-Aug-15 16:34:01

The other day I was talking to someone who bought my ex-sister-in-law's house. ExSil moved about 5 years ago and the person who now lives in the house (who must be at least 45!!) said 'the old lady who lived in the house before us .........'.

At the time, my exSiL would have been 60 and is 6 months younger than me! I was feeling quite good about myself until then!

Elrel Sun 30-Aug-15 22:52:17

Amused recently when a nurse clerking me into hospital asked 'Have you passed the menopause?' Oh yes, a couple of decades ago!

TheExMotherInLaw Mon 31-Aug-15 01:19:05

A fantastic friend of mine, almost 30 years my senior, used to help out delivering lunches to the 'old folk' in her village - some of them 15 years younger than her! She does acknowledge she has been blessed with very good health. She walked up Snowdon to celebrate her 80th!

absent Mon 31-Aug-15 02:56:34

I was meandering through this thread for the last couple of minutes when the phone rang. It was a pleasant-sounding woman asking if I needed a medical alarm service. Now I am sure that these are useful for people of any age with serious or debilitating conditions, but I am equally sure that she had a list of "oldies" to contact. I thanked her for ringing and told her that I didn't think I needed the service. She as courteous enough to say "goodbye".

thatbags Mon 31-Aug-15 07:10:48

I like your "Embrace Age" approach, absent.

Feeling old, being old is nothing to be ashamed of.

PRINTMISS Mon 31-Aug-15 07:52:46

Yes, embracing old age is a good thing, there are some good days and really bad days, but on the whole age is not something I worry about. We are all getting older.

Gagagran Mon 31-Aug-15 08:28:43

It's my birthday today and I can no longer think of myself as being middle-aged. I am elderly, senior, or just old. Whatever word is attached, another year has been added to the total and I am feeling glum. Not helped by the heavy rain and leaden sky. Need cheering up Granspals.

thatbags Mon 31-Aug-15 08:30:54

I hope the day turns into a happy birthday for you, gaga. Best wishes flowers birthday3 sunshine

Anya Mon 31-Aug-15 08:33:09

Have you anything planned Gaga? Hope you do enjoy your day,

flowerssunshine.cupcake wine

annsixty Mon 31-Aug-15 08:42:46

exMotherinLaw is right having good health is a factor in how we age. I am old now not just elderly and until recently have had good health all my life. Even BC at 62 didn't make me feel ill. I was lucky in that. Surgery and radiotherapy was ,to me, and I do know not to others , an inconvenience.. I now have dodgy knees and can't walk far and that has been very ageing but I have retained my sense of humour and interest in the world, another important factor.
Happy birthday * Gagagran* put that smile on,you are still here, that must be good news.

Gagagran Mon 31-Aug-15 08:48:07

We are going to DD's for a birthday meal late afternoon and that will work its magic as I know I will get a lovely welcome and cuddle from my darling GC who are always loving and seem to enjoy being with us, their devoted grandparents!

Just felt the years weighing heavily this morning and the leaden sky doesn't help with that. I am normally very cheery!

Thank you for the good wishes and "goodies" - even though virtual they will taste delicious I am sure! sunshine

Anya Mon 31-Aug-15 08:55:05

Well that sounds wonderful to me Gaga

You say 'we' so I'm presuming MrGaga is making your breakfast or perhaps taking you out for coffe and cakes? Never mind the weather, just wrap up warm and enjoy x

Gagagran Mon 31-Aug-15 09:25:58

Well no Anya - being a gruff Yorkshireman he is not usually prone to such romantic gestures. However, he has just been out in the rain and come back with two large bunches of roses/lilies/irises plus a box of chocs so my gloom has lifted and I am feeling surprised and treasured. Just what I needed to fight the age-glooms! I am a lucky GN. smile

kittylester Mon 31-Aug-15 09:43:58

Have a lovely day Gaga. cupcakeflowers

Nelliemoser Mon 31-Aug-15 09:52:49

Gagagran Happy Birthday!

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 31-Aug-15 10:35:26

Oh bags, it's a fact. We do get ignored. In the pub for Sunday lunch yesterday and the owner addressed every single question/remark to DD. DH and I were obviously the 'also rans'. hmm Mind you, when at the end of the meal I told him what I thought of the ridiculous lump of meat I had been expected to chew my way through, he had no choice to talk to me! grin

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 31-Aug-15 10:36:12

Happy birthday Gaga. flowers

inishowen Tue 01-Sep-15 12:17:00

Twenty years ago when we were both 40, hubby and I were on holiday in Torquay. We were buying tickets for a boat trip. Hubby jokingly asked for two OAP tickets. The young guy didn't blink an eye and issued the tickets! Talk about embarrassing. We felt very ancient that day!!

HappyNan1 Tue 01-Sep-15 22:28:35

Hope you had a lovely birthday gagaflowers

friends123 Wed 02-Sep-15 15:17:35

Human origins :upper Paelolithic (sp!)-circa.1.5 million yrs. ago.? Human(aquatic) organisms - trilobites/human cells 3 million yrs ago?!