(340 Posts)
soontobe Sat 03-Oct-15 20:19:38

Relative freedom
Relative peace
Relative good health service etc

Anyone else?

petra Sat 03-Oct-15 20:41:15

Soontobe.
Relative freedom ? How much more do you want?
Relative peace? Do you not think we live in a peaceful country.
I'll give you the relative good health service.

soontobe Sat 03-Oct-15 20:45:06

Did I write the op wrong?
I agree that we have relative freedom, peace and health service.

I am not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing with me?

Alea Sat 03-Oct-15 20:51:55

Freedom, peace and a bloody good health service which has saved at least 5 of DH's 9 lives.
Plus I am sure English would be a hard language to learn with all its illogicalities and turns of phrase, so better to be a native speaker. grin

Pittcity Sat 03-Oct-15 20:53:25

Never too hot or too cold.
Civilised queues.
Decent TV.

Grannyknot Sat 03-Oct-15 21:02:22

A sense of freedom can be relative. For example, in a place where there are many rules and regulations, it is hard to feel truly free.

soontobe Sat 03-Oct-15 21:05:47

True, but I dont think that Britain has it too far wrong.

I like its relative friendliness
I like its relative cheerfulness.

Alea Sat 03-Oct-15 21:29:23

Have you ever lived in Germany, grannyknot?

loopylou Sat 03-Oct-15 21:39:31

I don't think there's too much wrong with Britain

Beautiful countryside
Plentiful food
NHS for all

petra Sat 03-Oct-15 21:42:17

Up until 6 months ago I would have defended our NHS to the hilt. But now, through my own and my friends experiences I sadly can't say this.
For the past 4 months the only way you can get to see a Dr at our surgery on the day is to be outside the surgery at 7. 45 in the morning.
It was 8 o/clock but people have learnt this is the only way and the queue is getting longer.

crun Sat 03-Oct-15 21:54:17

I've often reflected on what a benign part of the world we live in. No earthquakes, volcanos, hurricanes, tsunamis, extreme heat, extreme cold, famines, wars, dangerous wild animals, minimal flooding and droughts, and politically stable.

Re the NHS, they're good when it's going their way, but I'd never ever trust them again.

crun Sat 03-Oct-15 21:57:11

An American once asked me whether I regard myself as English or British. I said that I've never really given it much thought, but if I was pressed I'd say I was a Yorkshireman. smile

annodomini Sat 03-Oct-15 21:57:12

Gardens - I love the gardens of Great Britain.

merlotgran Sat 03-Oct-15 22:01:56

Yes. The gardens, the countryside, villages, farms, misty mornings. I take the NHS for granted like many others but I never criticize it.

I think of myself as English but I'm British.

grumppa Sat 03-Oct-15 22:07:03

All the above, plus satisfaction with the NHS in my area. As for British or English, right now I'm glad I am half Welsh.

NfkDumpling Sat 03-Oct-15 22:17:56

Our NHS may be creaking a bit but it's better value for money than what you'd get in most other countries. The same goes for our transport network and education system.

I'm glad to be British because we've learned from the mistakes of our past (mostly) and it's made us (for the most part) more tolerant and empathic than most other countries. A bit like a our weather and scenery, comfortable to be around.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 03-Oct-15 22:24:04

Little Indian, Sioux or crow
Little frosty Eskimo.
Little Turk or Japanee
Oh don't you wish that you were me.

Can't remember the rest of it.

Grannyknot Sat 03-Oct-15 22:38:11

Nope alea.

rosequartz Sat 03-Oct-15 22:40:18

A temperate climate
Rain - yes, I know we can have too much but living with years of drought must be terrible
A green and lovely countryside with such variation - there is still plenty left
The coast
Heritage and history - thank you National Trust
The NHS
Free schooling
Democracy

Ana Sat 03-Oct-15 22:49:51

I googled that poem and it is so smug and patronising, jingl - never come across it before! shock

rosequartz Sat 03-Oct-15 22:53:22

I must have read it at some point, we have RLS's 'Child's Garden of Verses'

I suppose it was of its time.

Ana Sat 03-Oct-15 22:55:08

Yes, I know, but I actually found it quite shocking. I'm sure I wouldn't have done when I was a child.

rosequartz Sat 03-Oct-15 22:57:52

Politically incorrect now, I presume it is banned from schools hmm
It does sound smug

Nelliemoser Sat 03-Oct-15 23:03:25

I am glad to be British because we live in an exceptionally beautiful country. It is only small but our variety of landscape, vegetation and climate is outstanding. All this is a small space.

I think many Brits don't appreciate just how lucky we are here.

You can go to your Lanzarote and Fuerto Ventura for the sunshine but the scenery there is not really attractive. Old lava flows and parched earth.

Whenever I come back from Mediteranean climate countries I realise how lovely and green our country is..

Crun @ Sat 03-Oct-15 21:54:17 Made a good point as well about how in general we do not suffer from natural disasters on the scale other countries do.

durhamjen Sun 04-Oct-15 01:24:03

The NHS is going to creak a bit more soon if this happens.

www.express.co.uk/news/uk/609725/NHS-crisis-family-doctors-walk-out-biggest-for-fifty-years-over-surgery-closures