I am glad to be British because

(341 Posts)
soontobe Sat 03-Oct-15 20:19:38

Relative freedom
Relative peace
Relative good health service etc

Anyone else?

rosequartz Mon 05-Oct-15 19:41:17

I thought I looked at a link a few weeks ago djen, didn't they change the rules in September re citizenship?
My memory is a bit hazy

granjura when are you serving the trifle? Yum!

granjura Mon 05-Oct-15 20:02:27

Christmas, and there will be no talk or mention of -Christmas- in this house until mid November at the very earliest ;)

durhamjen Mon 05-Oct-15 21:02:30

Is Britain Racist on BBC3 now.

soontobe Mon 05-Oct-15 22:49:51

I have no doubt that there are at least some people in Britain who are racist. Not sure how many it would take to say a whole country is racist. 10% or 90%. No idea.

Doesnt mean that people cant be glad that they are whatever nationality they are, so long as they dont think that they are superior to another.

A British person can be glad they are British, a French person French, a Pakistani, Pakistani, a Sri Lankan Sri Lankan etc etc through all the different countries.
I wouldnt have thought that there are any countries, who dont have at least some citizens who are glad to be that nationality.

Judthepud2 Mon 05-Oct-15 23:59:59

Indinana just a wee return on the British Isles issue. As a resident of the island of Ireland, I am very familiar with the geographical but contentious concept of The Republic of Ireland being theoretically part of the 'British Isles'. However, I was suggesting that the Nation of Ireland would be quick to challenge the word 'British'. Like it or not, Irish people are political in their stance re this issue. By the way, I am not one of those who would make a huge issue about this but many would.

A word to the wise. If you ever come over to Ireland, North or South, best not mention that it is geographically part of the British Isles. We are all very touchy about identity over here as referenced by flags wink As I have already posted, those of us in the North have dual nationality, should we choose to take these up. I rather like being Irish and British!

rosesarered Tue 06-Oct-15 10:42:36

Well said Judthepud ( love the name) have a pint of Guiness on me ( !)

Gracesgran Tue 06-Oct-15 11:03:21

Terry Wogan? I didn't mention him - anyway he's Irish!
Someone did. It was probably Gracesgran.
I agree, ...

I do realise that several of you chose to pour all your bile onto me on this thread but I never mentioned Terry Wogan and cannot imagine why I would.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 06-Oct-15 12:24:14

I mentioned Terry Wogan but I think someone else had already mentioned him (not you Gg)

Please don't mention bile. I am trying not to focus my mind on my acid reflux.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 06-Oct-15 12:26:12

Oh!!! That was me posted that! I was taking the mick pulling your leg. [ wink]

RAF Tue 06-Oct-15 12:49:13

I used to think there was no better place in the world to live, and in many ways I still do, but I hate the fact that we are among the most spied on populations on the planet. The interview with Edward Snowden last night, and the 'Hunted' series make me realise that my family can never escape state surveillance that will get more and more intrusive. I don't buy the argument 'it doesn't matter if you have nothing to hide' because so many mistakes are made.

But I love the countryside, English manners, our churches, our pubs, our quaint old hotels, our ordely queues and our BBC!

AdeleJay Tue 06-Oct-15 15:53:29

I am glad to be British because we can laugh at ourselves - I'm thinking of The News Quiz on Radio 4 but I'm sure you get my drift. I am glad to be British because we do not live in a gun culture like they do in the US. I am glad to be British because from what I see/read/hear there aren't many better places to live. I am glad to be British because we are not presently in a war zone and are lucky enough to have life's basics - food, water and shelter -plus lots more. I am glad to be British because we are a Multicultural society. I am particularly glad to be British because of the seasons and our weird weather.

There are of course lots of things that get on my nerves but that isn't the point of this thread.....

Judthepud2 Tue 06-Oct-15 22:29:40

Thanks for the Guiness Rosesarered. If you don't mind I'll just have a half. Fills you up does Guiness! [guiness emoticon] grin

Shula Thu 08-Oct-15 07:12:41

I love the British weather , just nice

seacliff Thu 08-Oct-15 07:42:10

I've sometimes thought how lucky I am to have been born in a generally peaceful and prosperous country like the UK. It puts my problems in perspective.

It's just an accident of birth, I could have been living in a mud hut in Africa, with very little chance of bettering myself. Makes me appreciate just being able to turn on the tap and get clean fresh water.

For all its faults I love my country.

Luckylegs9 Thu 08-Oct-15 17:04:26

I love Britain and its values, but afraid it is being eroded in front of my eyes by the day. Too many people using too few resources.Policical correction now ridiculous. I would never want to live anywhere else