Gransnet forums

Chat

It all started on Friday...

(27 Posts)
Indinana Tue 24-Nov-15 17:27:09

... when I picked my DD and DGD up and brought them back with me, as DD was getting cabin fever stuck indoors due to the non-stop rain. DGD had had a bit of a cold but seemed better.
About 6.00 pm I went out to the car for something and it was bitterly cold with a sharp wind, so I suggested they stay the night as I really didn't think it was wise to take the baby out of the warm house.
As the evening wore on DGD started to go downhill. She projectile vomited her entire last feed, then spent the evening coughing, crying, trying to sleep but restless and fretful. DD rang 111 and they sent out an ambulance. The paramedics did her sats and found her oxygen levels low and her temperature raised. We were told to take her into the ED, so we wrapped her up and got there about 11.30 pm. They decided to admit her because of the low oxygen levels, and they were worried about her being dehydrated as she wouldn't feed. Bronchiolitis was diagnosed. I got home about 2.30 am, and rang the next morning to find she was improved and I could pick them both up.
She spent most of Saturday and Sunday very unwell, hardly feeding, and every other feed was coming back up. No wet nappies - she could have kept the same one on for a full 24 hours and it would still have been dry.
DD rang the ward on Sunday evening and they told her to bring her back in. We arrived at 7.30 pm and spent the evening in the waiting room of the Children's Assessment Unit, which was full of young children and babies with the same symptoms. We saw a triage nurse, then a junior doctor, and later a senior registrar, who was satisfied that the baby was only slightly dehydrated. We were allowed home at 1.30 am Monday morning, after DGD had managed to keep 5oz of formula down.
Since then she has gradually improved and I have just taken the little family back home as DD feels she can manage without our support now.
I am shattered, but so relieved that she is on the mend. In the meantime, my DH has caught the bug and is being kept awake coughing, and my cold, which had been on the wane, now seems to have returned sad
I just want it to all go away!

NfkDumpling Tue 24-Nov-15 17:43:45

flowers Oh my goodness, that sounds like a close call! Thank goodness the little one is on the mend, but how awful that it's left you feeling worse - probably exacerbated by the stress of the weekend. Keep warm and snug.

Stansgran Tue 24-Nov-15 17:44:12

flowers for you all. Be happy that you have helped so much. It would have been worse for them without your input. Babies go up and down so quickly. I do wish hospitals would keep children in rather than sending to and fro. It can't be good for everyone's health and strength .

Indinana Tue 24-Nov-15 17:58:16

Well it certainly wouldn't have been good for my DD's health and strength if they had been kept in, stansgran - they expect mums to stay in with their babies (and of course the mums want to!), but they don't feed them, not even as much as a cup of tea. And DD couldn't leave the ward to get herself something (5 floors down!) because the baby hadn't even been given a cot, but was sharing a hospital bed with her mum.

Indinana Tue 24-Nov-15 18:02:39

And thank you both for your kind words and flowers x

rosequartz Tue 24-Nov-15 18:09:45

DD had bronchiolitis when she was about 18 months old - it was very frightening. The GP came out twice but didn't admit her and prescribed something to open up her airways and recommended a steamy bathroom.
She lost quite a lot of weight (probably through dehydration) but regained it when she began eating again.
flowers and I hope all are better soon.

Luckygirl Tue 24-Nov-15 18:10:21

Oh dear - what a traumatic few days - thank goodness she is on the mend now. Little ones go downhill so fast; then they bounce back in a flash. I do hope she will be 100% very soon.flowers

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 24-Nov-15 18:16:09

God! That must have been so frightening for you all. So glad it turned out ok for the little one. I can't believe that - about the baby having to share a hospital bed with her mum! That is awful! shock

Hope you and DH are on the mend soon. flowers

Indinana Tue 24-Nov-15 18:26:07

Thanks all. rosequartz I agree about the steamy bathroom - DD has been filling the bath so the room gets steamy and spending time in there with her. She too has lost weight, around a pound, which doesn't seem much, but she's only 5 months old. Thankfully she is a big baby, with plenty of reserves, so the weight loss was not quite as worrying as it would be for a smaller baby.
jings I'm glad I'm not the only one that found that terrible! DD has never ever co-slept with her DD, as it unnerves her, but she did feel relatively safe doing it in a hospital environment, and it definitely helped the baby to feel her mum's warmth and heartbeat so close. But even so....

ninathenana Tue 24-Nov-15 18:33:37

because the baby hadn't even been given a cot but was sharing a hospital bed with her mum
I'm totally shocked and worried by this.
I hope you and your family soon make a full recovery from your bugs flowers

rosequartz Tue 24-Nov-15 18:35:32

I think he prescribed liquid Ventolin, but that was over 40 years ago now, so perhaps the medication has changed - but the steamy bathroom treatment is still recommended apparently!

Indinana Tue 24-Nov-15 18:44:54

rq i think they're more reluctant to medicate young babies these days unless their breathing is seriously impaired. They were ready to give electrolytes to re-hydrate her if she couldn't keep any feed down while she was there, but because she did, they said she didn't need it. And because her breathing improved (her chest wasn't heaving, with her ribs showing as it had been earlier), they didn't nebulise her.
I guess we have to accept that they know what they're doing and I for one wouldn't really like to see her being given meds unnecessarily.

Indinana Tue 24-Nov-15 18:45:23

Thank you ninathenana.

rosequartz Tue 24-Nov-15 18:47:20

They always seemed very reluctant to hospitalise in those days as well, although, quite frankly, I would have felt relieved if they had.

kittylester Tue 24-Nov-15 19:11:51

Isn't it scary? DVD has been hospitalised 3 times with the same thing. Twice she was on oxygen but DD was given one of those huge inhaler things and she seems to be getting less and less prone now. The horrid thing is that DD has to almost sit on her to hold her down to get her to inhale.

I hope everyone feels better soon!

Indinana Tue 24-Nov-15 19:17:22

Oh God, kittylester that's horrible, must be so traumatic for the little one. But what can you do? They just don't understand, do they? I really hope this isn't the start of my little GD being susceptible to this awful infection sad

rosequartz Tue 24-Nov-15 19:42:26

Indinana DD never had it again , but she did tend to get asthma and used an inhaler occasionally, not regularly, when she was young, but appeared to grow out of it as she got older (fingers and toes crossed). But then she did get whooping cough too when she was 2 because there was controversy about the vaccination at the time and my GP assured me it had been 'eradicated' angry. I attribute the asthma more to that than to the bronchiolitis.

rosequartz Tue 24-Nov-15 19:45:41

It's caused by a virus so if you follow all the normal precautions you would to prevent coughs and colds it will lessen the risk of her getting it again, and they don't usually get it after the age of 2.

Indinana Tue 24-Nov-15 20:01:50

Thanks rosequartz, that is reassuring. I've just read on Wiki that there is an 11% increase in hospital admissions for bronchiolitis in babies who were delivered by voluntary ceasarean. DGD was delivered this way. (I don't know why voluntary caesarian should differ from emergency caesarean hmm)

rosequartz Tue 24-Nov-15 20:03:24

I've never heard that.
DD was a normal birth!
DGD had a really nasty virus when she was a few months old and she was delivered by caesarean (but she was breech).

Indinana Tue 24-Nov-15 20:27:42

I was with DD when her baby was born and the midwife said that c-section babies can have trouble with mucus in their lungs because they haven't been 'squeezed' down the birth canal, which apparently helps to clear mucus from their lungs. It can therefore take slightly longer to clear their airways when they're born and get them breathing properly. Her obstetrician also told her this at a meeting a couple of weeks beforehand. So maybe it's all part of the same thing.

Luckygirl Tue 24-Nov-15 22:32:12

My GS had bronchiolitis when he was about 18 months - diagnosed by my doctor OH after my DD had a mother's instinct that something was amiss. We took him straight to hospital and the paediatrician said he was fine because he was running about. DD persisted and asked her to listen to his chest and they were quite shocked with how bad he was and got him on a nebuliser pdq. Children are odd - they either react by going floppy and dehydrated and really poorly; or they can, on the other hand, seem remarkably fit even when things are really not good. I am glad to say that he got better quite quickly.

rosequartz Tue 24-Nov-15 22:53:34

That's quite scary Luckygirl, that they can be ill but seem fit.

Indinana Wed 25-Nov-15 08:53:36

Yes, that is scary Luckygirl. You have to know the child and thankfully mothers usually do. My DGD is a naturally happy child and even when unwell she wants to smile at everyone. I've just heard from my DD that after a day of keeping her feeds down, she projectile vomited her first feed this morning, and was then very chirpy and smiley straight afterwards, despite still coughing and being unable to breathe through her nose. Her demeanour can mask what's really going on underneath.

Luckygirl Wed 25-Nov-15 09:29:16

Yes - it is difficult with little ones. My OH always used to say that, in the main, if the mother was seriously worried then there was something wrong with the child. Mums pick up small cues that tell them all is not well.

Thankfully my OH had listened to DGS's chest when DD said she was concerned - he said it was almost the worst child's chest he had ever heard - and yet DGS was up and about.

Glad that things are mostly heading the right way for you DGD - but I am sure your DD is keeping a close eye and will be back to the docs if she is concerned.