Gransnet forums

Chat

It all started on Friday...

(28 Posts)
Indinana Tue 24-Nov-15 17:27:09

... when I picked my DD and DGD up and brought them back with me, as DD was getting cabin fever stuck indoors due to the non-stop rain. DGD had had a bit of a cold but seemed better.
About 6.00 pm I went out to the car for something and it was bitterly cold with a sharp wind, so I suggested they stay the night as I really didn't think it was wise to take the baby out of the warm house.
As the evening wore on DGD started to go downhill. She projectile vomited her entire last feed, then spent the evening coughing, crying, trying to sleep but restless and fretful. DD rang 111 and they sent out an ambulance. The paramedics did her sats and found her oxygen levels low and her temperature raised. We were told to take her into the ED, so we wrapped her up and got there about 11.30 pm. They decided to admit her because of the low oxygen levels, and they were worried about her being dehydrated as she wouldn't feed. Bronchiolitis was diagnosed. I got home about 2.30 am, and rang the next morning to find she was improved and I could pick them both up.
She spent most of Saturday and Sunday very unwell, hardly feeding, and every other feed was coming back up. No wet nappies - she could have kept the same one on for a full 24 hours and it would still have been dry.
DD rang the ward on Sunday evening and they told her to bring her back in. We arrived at 7.30 pm and spent the evening in the waiting room of the Children's Assessment Unit, which was full of young children and babies with the same symptoms. We saw a triage nurse, then a junior doctor, and later a senior registrar, who was satisfied that the baby was only slightly dehydrated. We were allowed home at 1.30 am Monday morning, after DGD had managed to keep 5oz of formula down.
Since then she has gradually improved and I have just taken the little family back home as DD feels she can manage without our support now.
I am shattered, but so relieved that she is on the mend. In the meantime, my DH has caught the bug and is being kept awake coughing, and my cold, which had been on the wane, now seems to have returned sad
I just want it to all go away!

Grandma2213 Thu 26-Nov-15 01:53:24

Indinana My sympathies. These things are so very scary at the time. Your DD and DGD are so lucky to have you to support them and I am sorry that you and your DH are suffering now.

I won't go into details but I know exactly how you are feeling after illnesses and accidents to 3 DSs and 5 DGC. However all is usually well in the end. Keep strong. flowers.

thatbags Thu 26-Nov-15 06:47:53

Hope you all feel better soon, indi. Scary time!