Gransnet forums

Chat

What would you have done?

(33 Posts)
yogagran Sat 28-May-16 18:28:44

Getting out of my car in our small local car park (only about 20-25 cars) there was a man dragging a crying child, age around 6-7, away from the playground, she was sobbing and screaming "let go of me". Was he a harassed father with a truculent child in a tantrum or was he a pedophile? What would you have done?

rosesarered Sun 29-May-16 20:31:49

Interesting stuff crun there was an awful case a few years ago, a teenaged boy was dragging a girl in a headlock down a road, a main road btw and this was observed by the occupants of a passing car( it was late at night) they were well known footballers in the car, and were disturbed,but decided it was a lovers tiff and they drove on.The next day the poor teenage girl was found beaten raped and strangled.The boy was known to her, but was not her boyfriend at all. The footballers felt terrible that they had not stopped and intervened ( which they damn well should have done!)

Lilypops Sun 29-May-16 23:44:38

I agree Granny 2016 with what you said, I would rather intervene and have to apologise afterwards than not say anything and read in the papers next day something had happened to the child,

crun Thu 02-Jun-16 12:04:46

Roses ITV broadcast a program last month which was based on Darley & Latane's research. See here.

grannyactivist Thu 02-Jun-16 12:18:17

I'm familiar with the 'bystander effect' and I have to say that there have been several times I've intervened in situations. In every instance I have been thanked for my concern. On two of those occasions I was with friends who all said they would not have said anything - for fear of embarrassment.

Marmark1 Fri 03-Jun-16 08:50:54

Similar to you GrandTea, over Saltrum,two women jogging,one obviously had her small daughter with her who was too tired and didn't want to run anymore, I shouted to the mum to wait for her,I mean I really did shout because I was angry with her.Well I nearly ended up with my eye in a sling.

JackyB Fri 03-Jun-16 11:47:10

I'm ashamed to say that I think I would avert my eyes. But talking about it like this has given me a bit of an idea. How about approaching the father and saying something like "I'm sorry, I can see you're busy, but can you tell me the way to the Post Office/change a five pound note for the parking meter..."

If it's a genuine father/daugher situation, it might defuse it, and if not, it might give you time to assess the child's situation.

I'm not sure standing there taking photos is a good idea. Would look rather odd.

Granny2016 Fri 03-Jun-16 21:51:41

I hate to see parents shouting/smacking/swearing at their children in public.If they behave like it in front of others,I have to wonder how they behave towards their offspring in the privacy of home.