Gransnet forums

Chat

Is it fading away?

(114 Posts)
NonnaW Thu 30-Jun-16 09:42:22

I've just counted 14 'news & politics' threads on the Active forum. There were days earlier this week when it felt as if it was every other thread. Do we dare to hope that there are now other topics of conversation? I've been really pleased to see people making efforts at normal other threads. Let's get GN back towhat it was - a site for chat, laughs, and support!!

phoenix Thu 30-Jun-16 19:31:08

jings I think your comment of 14.17 was unworthy of you, surely you are better than that!

Greyduster Thu 30-Jun-16 19:48:39

DH loves bread pudding, and I had a recipe off his mother, which I fell at the first fence with - as soon as it said "soak the bread" I was heading for the bathroom. The thought of bread soaked in any liquid turns my stomach. I told him after that if he wanted it, he could jolly well make it himself - and he did! I've never been tempted to eat it, but the kids loved it. My best friend now makes one for him whenever she makes it.

Coolgran65 Thu 30-Jun-16 20:09:01

kateykrunch What about ditching the leaded glass. Paint the mahogany frame the colour of your walls.
You could then.....
Fill the inset with a piece of gathered fabric on curtain stretch wire top and bottom.
Or fill the inset with a piece of wood and paint it a couple of shades different.
Paint free hand a flower on the inset wood.
Use decoupage on the inset.

Oh, what about decoupage over the entirety of the old mahogany cupboard, glass and wood. Finished off with a few coats of Matt varnish. That should cost next to nothing.

phoenix Thu 30-Jun-16 20:13:41

Elegran what are "savings"??? All I have is the tub full of loose change that I bag up from time to time grin

TriciaF Thu 30-Jun-16 20:19:27

Me too phoenix.
No point these days anyway, even if we had extra to "put away" - interest rates too low.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 30-Jun-16 20:25:11

Who the hell are you to judge me phoenix?!

Jalima Thu 30-Jun-16 20:32:22

Wherever there's a bit of a ding dong, there you will find GandTea.

Jolly good, we need a male perspective from time to time
Especially an engineer

DM and also DH's granny used to make bread pudding, I only made it once and it was like lead.
However, there is a nice place near us where we go sometimes for a stroll, picnic, they make a very good bread pudding and DH usually has a very large piece all to himself.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 30-Jun-16 20:35:47

hmm

thatbags Thu 30-Jun-16 21:35:09

Nowt wrong with lard. I use it all the time for frying, and a dollop goes in my loaf recipe along with a dollop of butter. My mum did too. It's her eighty-seventh birthday today.

GandTea Thu 30-Jun-16 21:39:53

I seem to remember a TV programme that looked at fats when cooked, and lard was one of the better ones, many had toxic elements when heated. How long before I can have bread and dripping with plenty of salt again?

thatbags Thu 30-Jun-16 21:58:42

Yes, gand, hard animal fats are much more stable when heated than oils and hardened vegetable fats and can be heated to much higher temperatures before burning.

GandTea Thu 30-Jun-16 22:08:48

But what about the important bit, when can I have B&D again?

thatbags Thu 30-Jun-16 22:12:03

Just make some. You can have it whenever you want.