Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's Friendly Kitcheners and well behaved pets.

(1001 Posts)
soop Sun 25-Sep-16 13:59:32

Well...Here we are again, happy as can be, all good friends and jolly good company. grin I've been caught on the hop. Come on in and make yourselves at home. flowers wine cupcake and (((hugs)))

Bellanonna Sun 25-Sep-16 21:10:29

Charleygirl - I hadn't realised it was your birthday recently. Belated many happy returns. A September baby like me, but presumably not a Libran? Or maybe so, depending when it was. Read about your lunch venue. It's a pain when this happens, but glad you had a nice lunch anyway

Charleygirl Sun 25-Sep-16 21:11:39

My apologies NanaandGrampy did you get anybody around to view on your "open day" or did you hoover for nothing? You need Phil Spencer around as your secret agent. He works miracles on some houses but I know that you both have worked very hard.

This move would mean that you would be moving away from Jackson and Cooper, not to mention the other GC if I remember correctly. That will be very hard on both of you as you spend so much time with them.

Galen Sun 25-Sep-16 21:23:31

C--- is marvellous on Cunard
Santa gets tracked on the ships position.
He is filmed climbing down the funnel and then meets all the children ( with presents ) in th the Queens lounge. ( lovely tree and decorations )
Formal dress for dinner.
Xmas crackers
Choice of menu including turkey and roast beef with all the trimmings
Xmas crackers
It's really nice!
I'm booked for next year as well

Charleygirl Sun 25-Sep-16 21:27:00

Bellanonna thank you- I am a Virgo, born on the 22nd so on the cusp so to speak.

Galen that does sound good although I would not fancy formal dress, not possessing any nowadays.

numberplease Sun 25-Sep-16 23:05:00

First of all, belated Happy Birthday to Charleygirl, hope it was a good `in.
Wobblybits, good luck with the hip x-ray.
C on Cunard sounds great, but I`d have to forego it as I don`t "do" formal dress, prefer to be comfortably casual.

kittylester Mon 26-Sep-16 08:26:25

OK, so I go to York for lunch and you all move! Are you trying to lose me?

I'm exhausted after a big family party in Yorkshire for DSIL so we have had a lazy start. I missed the end of the last kitchen but I hope everyone is well.

Many happy returns Charley sorry I missed it too.wine if it's not too early.

I'd be interested in how your open day went too, nandg and whether you have abandoned the two properties you had your eye on.

WB, I hope your hip is sorted out soon but I've missed what is wrong with Mrswobbly, I hope she feels better soon.

I'm sorry, but C in not mentioned round here until after the November Street Fair so I will just sit here with my hands over my ears singing 'lalala*.

DaphneBroon Mon 26-Sep-16 08:42:02

I apologise for mentioning the C word and promise not to do it again but it is a relief that there is "a plan" of sorts even if I don't have to give it another thought until Ocado release their C grocery delivery slots. (But did you note my cunning plan to get Flynn here on the Big Day? Sshh! )
It is getting really autumnal now isn't it? Question, do I pack away the summer stuff - that always seems so final and no way am I getting out the winter woollies. I suppose it will have to be the jeans again today. Sometimes I wonder why I have any other clothes at all.
How is your DH doing numberplease? I hope that some nutrition of a sort is helping to build him up again and restore his strength? And how about you? I hope you are getting some respite from the relentless grind of hospital visiting.
Flynn seems to have started driving lessons (never too young) ah well I suppose it's one way to get him to enjoy car journeys . Satnav for C so he can drive to Granny's?

NanaandGrampy Mon 26-Sep-16 09:00:24

Good morning all !!

We all seem to be in fine form even braving the C word ( I am a huge C fan and planning is already well underway as is present buying but I will try not top let slip here !!

Charley oh no !!! A closed restaurant for your special lunch!! That's takes the biscuit, lucky you spotted your friend !!

Jud can't beat a bit of Pokémon ! My 4 year old grandson loves to check what's in my pokedex and then lords it over me as I am a much lower level than him ( but of course his Daddy helps him lol)

Hope your hip x ray goes well WB

oh dear Ann I can imagine what you said about the uncooked chicken. Grampy cooked dinner yesterday and I was surprised to find something totally different from the agreed meal. He said that he forgot but we only spoke about it that morning ...I think it might have been payback for me not cooking smile

No not a sniff of a viewing Charley but we did have a lovely cup of coffee with the young estate agent for an hour whilst we waited. We have checked everything , price is comparable , maybe even a little lower than similar properties, immaculate now smile so it can only be location. We do live next to a railway embankment although it has never bothered us. So I think we shall just see how things go. I shall be using an online service in the next 2 weeks ( no sale no cost) and then we'll just get on with living . If we sell we sell but if we don't then we don't,

Yes Phil Spencer might be handy , I do like him. And the move would take us away from the children which will be a wrench BUT we have always put our children and grandchildren first in our 40 years of marriage and this was something we wanted. Maybe this is fates way of saying its not right ?

We have alerted the estate agents of the 2 properties as we didn't feel it was fair to keep them in limbo so we will lose them but I am sure if we ever sell there will be something right for us out there Kitty.

Wobblybits Mon 26-Sep-16 09:03:58

Headed out to get my hip Xray this morning, all done and back home before 9am. Top marks for Colchester hospital.

annsixty Mon 26-Sep-16 09:07:14

I hope the results will be what you hope for wb. I suspect that you hope for a replacement so you can be better, but haven't you had one done already? I am assuming it is not the same one.

NonnaW Mon 26-Sep-16 09:20:12

Hello, I'm peeping my head round the door. I've peeped through the window before but never ventured in. Not too sure of my welcome, as the thread title included "very well behaved pets" and I can't always claim that for my 2 mad spaniels. I could bring in some lime & courgette muffins as an offering though?

Judthepud2 Mon 26-Sep-16 09:33:15

Good morning all! Early start today as the DGSs arrived at 7:30am. Hope you all have a good one.

Who mentioned the C word? ?

NonnaW I couldn't bring my mad spaniel in here either. She would have the place overturned chasing her toy duck. Are all spaniels mad I wonder. Better go and take her our for a 'walk', which means her galloping around like a dog possessed while I stand and watch her. She is currently moaning at my feet because I'm otherwise occupied.

cornergran Mon 26-Sep-16 09:34:48

Goodness, that was a quick move! Have prized some warm croissants away from Mr C if anyone fancies one.

Hope the X-ray outcome is a helpful one wobbly, take care of yourself. Oh ann I did smile at your chicken problem, my 'trick' is to put the meal in one oven and then turn the other on. Happens when I'm overloaded, guess it's the same for you. Don't worry, it's normal smile. Daphne I'd love to get out some warmer clothes but have walled them in with furniture, can't get them until the changes are further advanced. Planning not a strong point. Love your planning though, a good Cxxxx outcome for all.

n&g, I wonder if house sales are like watched pots, if you relax and stop trying it might happen? Good plan to enjoy your home in its pristine condition. It will all come together if it's meant to be. Not such a straightforward birthday meal charley but so lucky you spotted your friend. Being with people is the important thing. We managed a rare but very haphazard family afternoon yesterday inspite of weather scuppering embryo plans. Just lovely to be with them.

Apologies for missing news from others, hard to access things right now, hope all is well with you soop, thank you for this comfy new kitchen.

Wobblybits Mon 26-Sep-16 10:00:05

Annsixty, yes I have had the right hip and left knee replaced. it is the left hip that is now painful. I guess I hope it is obvious that it is knackered, as least then it is just down to surgery and I know the outcome should be good eventually. In the past my DR and the surgeon have erred on the side of replacing asap once it is inevitable whilst the muscles are still good.

Lona Mon 26-Sep-16 10:19:10

Morning chums, all this talk of C****mas is catching!
My daughter started the conversation last night and it ended with everyone coming to me! shock grin
It will be great fun, everyone will muck in and because of the layout of the "penthouse", nobody will be stuck in the kitchen.
I'd better put the sprouts on! grin
Sorry you didn't get any viewings NandG, perhaps fate is taking charge.

Hope you get the right result Wobbly

Welcome NonnaW sunshine

Gagagran Mon 26-Sep-16 10:48:06

Anyone fancy some Danish pastries? Fresh from our artisan bakery and rather nice. Help yourselves!

I have done my pile of ironing and revamped my wardrobe so I can now access my autumn stuff. Bit sad putting summer dresses and tops away until next year but hey ho, summer will be back! (And I did find a forgotten item - a nice black lace top ideal for my choir concerts!)

annsixty Mon 26-Sep-16 10:49:48

Sprouts don't go on until October Lona you don't want them to go soggy.

DaphneBroon Mon 26-Sep-16 10:55:05

Oh dear, what have I started? I thought the ideal sprout recipe was to place 3 large stones in a pan of cold water, add salt and the sprouts then boil under the stones are tender?

Tizliz Mon 26-Sep-16 11:29:21

It is not the talk of C which upsets me, it is the summer word. Since moving here I have not bought sandals, shorts or general summer wear. It has never been hot enough for long enough. We have had the odd day when it has been hot, but it is 7 or 8 years since we had prolonged heat. I have put the heat on in the workshop today and I have already added tights and warm jumper to my usual work wear of jeans and fleecy top. Must add though that sandals are really practical with an engineering workshop and large dogs whatever the weather.

We did debate whether to move here or France (bil lives there) but neither of us thrive in hot weather, but I do like a BIT of SUN.

DaphneBroon Mon 26-Sep-16 11:36:37

When I moved from Scotland to London after graduating a friend advised me that I would need "different" clothes for summer and winter down there. I laughed but looking back, apart from an annual new summer dress, perhaps a cotton skirt and blouse and cardi (remember "dirndl skirts"?) that phenomenon known as a "summer coat" and my Clarks sandals, I did not have "summer clothes" in my youth in Scotland. Oh there were glorious days, even the occasional heatwave, but usually short(er) sleeved jumpers sufficed as a token gesture to summer. And maybe cotton trousers (no jeans in my childhood). I had a natty pair of "matador pants" but still wore a jacket!

Charleygirl Mon 26-Sep-16 13:43:48

NonnaW welcome. I would love to look after your mad spaniel but I am afraid that walking would be out of the question because I cannot walk far and no doubt she would be dragging me along, not good.

I also have spent time at hospital today, Moorfields eye hospital. I went as an emergency because my optician on Friday was not sure if my dry Macular degeneration in my left eye had turned to wet. He still does not know so I am returning again at the crack of dawn next week for more tests and to see somebody else. I am going to have to find another mode of transport other than a mini cab because I am sure that I am too old to take out a mortgage.

soop Mon 26-Sep-16 14:29:06

I am fuming angry Why? Because I've been responding to your messages (of which there are many) AND I've lost the lot. Why does this happen? I shall have to start afresh. Buggerations by the barrow-load.

Stay with me and I shall begin all over again.

Charleygirl Mon 26-Sep-16 14:33:01

Daphne that young man will be going to university aged 5 and starting a law degree or whatever aged 7. He is so cute and still so young. He is always alert but I am sure that he has his meltdown moments.

annsixty Mon 26-Sep-16 14:43:02

Sorry to hear about your new eye problem charley I wonder if that will be treatable if it is wet.
I have just returned from the physio, it is up to me if I see him again as he is happy with me. My degree of bend is 115 and that is good according to him.
I am pleased to say yesterday's chicken is now in the oven.

soop Mon 26-Sep-16 14:59:27

Okay...I am reading the latest news first. Here goes.

NonnaW I'm not usually such a grouch. A warm welcome to you and your spaniels. Most of our pets (like the owners) are ever so slightly bonkers eccentric. Your spaniels will be treated like royalty. As for the muffins, never feel that such offerings will not be gobbled up appreciated. Us lot are partial to all things edible. flowers

Tizliz Remain optimistic. I can assure you that the sun does shine in Scotland. I see that you've here for a wee while. Spring seems to be the most pleasant season. sunshine

wobblybits keep us nosy lot updated please.

Gaga I am dreading re-hashing my wardrobe. I seem to wear a handful of favourites and yet, I cannot bear to part with an awful lot of impractical clothes. From a young age I loved fashion design. It's still a passion of mine. In due course I shall part with garments that have had minimal wear. In the meantime...I enjoy browsing along the wardrobe rails.
Yes please. A Danish pastry will make teatime special.

Lona sounds like a good plan. The penthouse will be buzzing.

annsixty It was a mere senior moment. Us lot have all had one from time to time. No worries.

Galen I love yor spirited outlook on life. Will you be packing the pearls AND the tiara?

DaphneB Flynn is growing up fast. He's a lovely wee boy.

NanaandGrampy There are a number of desirable properties for sale in this area. The right buyer for your home will come along. Having moved house on several occasions throughout my life and all I can say is...it's a stressful experience whilst it lasts.

kittylester I am dreading the start of the C adverts on the television. Who on earth needs a new sofa "in time for ..." Yuk!

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion