Gransnet forums

Chat

Simple task scares you?

(117 Posts)
shysal Tue 18-Oct-16 12:14:37

There are several of these for me. It took me months before I plucked up the courage to serve myself and pay by card at the local unmanned petrol station. It couldn't be simpler!
Things I have not yet achieved include:
Inflating tyres at the petrol station.
Selling on Ebay (I buy all the time).
Going through a car wash.
Negotiating some junctions where I have seen accidents or near misses. I use longer routes to avoid the area.

What situations do you avoid?

Greenfinch Tue 18-Oct-16 12:18:03

Parking in the multi-storey car park a the local train station. I was OK when it was on one level.

Wobblybits Tue 18-Oct-16 13:05:19

Posting on political threads

POGS Tue 18-Oct-16 13:12:30

Ladders, usually after the 3 rd step I have a whoosh of adrenaline or something and go all wobbly and stop.

Being in a boat and lose sight of land. (which way do you swim if it sinks)

HootyMcOwlface Tue 18-Oct-16 13:16:28

I won't use the self serve petrol pumps after being charged £20 BEFORE I had put any fuel in. They said the receipt was probably for the person before me but it had my credit card number on it. Was treated shabbily by the staff, and I had even left my fuel tank empty to prove I hadn't had any so never ever will use that again.

Jane10 Tue 18-Oct-16 13:28:52

I'll do it but I hate it and always think I've done it wrong -reading the electric meter and entering the readings online!

loopylou Tue 18-Oct-16 14:14:11

Motorway driving
Night driving- my night vision is awful so no intention of trying to get over this on
Certainly avoiding GN political threads- first foray left me thoroughly battered ?
Anything involving heights or enclosed spaces
Tossing a pancake!

Tizliz Tue 18-Oct-16 14:22:17

blow up balloons - I am terrified of them

tanith Tue 18-Oct-16 14:30:06

Parallel parking is my Achilles heel I just cannot get it right without shunting and it makes OH grin every time because he knows after over 30yrs driving I still would rather avoid it grin

Greyduster Tue 18-Oct-16 14:40:56

Motorway driving - in fact, if I'm honest, these days, any kind of driving. And I'm not good with heights - cable cars, suspension bridges, and the like.

gillybob Tue 18-Oct-16 14:56:31

Like you I won't go through a car wash either shysal , as a driver or passenger. I had a bad experience in one when I was young .
Won't do cable cars either Greyduster don't like the idea of dangling from a thread. I also hate rope bridges and anything that moves when you step onto it. I sm slap scared of my loft ladder......Oh dear there are more things than realised.

gillybob Tue 18-Oct-16 14:57:23

Oops not sure where the "slap" came from . smile

grannylyn65 Tue 18-Oct-16 15:03:40

Parallel parking, rope bridges,roundabouts, .

nanaK54 Tue 18-Oct-16 15:09:27

This makes me feel better as there are roundabouts that I simply can't cope with

Eloethan Tue 18-Oct-16 15:10:33

shysal Well, you can drive and anyone who can drive has my admiration because I can't.

I'm pretty useless at most practical things.

I have never flown on my own and this December I am having to fly back to the UK - a 13 hour flight - on my own. It's pathetic, I know, but I'm not looking forward to it at all.

Shanma Tue 18-Oct-16 15:21:18

Never liked driving even when younger, but as we lived in the sticks I had to learn if only to be able to get to the shops 5 miles away, and the Dentist etc.I have never driven on a motorway, and have no desire to do so. I think my car will finally be scrapped in January when it has an MOT due. I will not replace it with another, probably a shopping trolley instead!!

Spiders scare me, and although I am not particularly afraid of heights I too would avoid a dangley cablecar!!, maybe there isn't such a word as dangley. There is now!!
Not sure why anyone would be scared of political posts on GN, don't think I have looked at them yet but I will now, nothing much else exciting on here .

Ana Tue 18-Oct-16 15:38:08

I've never used those petrol station tyre inflators either, I couldn't bend down at the right angle for long enough!

Parallel parking I just don't do, unless the gap's big enough for me to drive in forwards with plenty of room for manoeuvre!

Anniebach Tue 18-Oct-16 15:47:01

Shanma, perhaps lively is more apt than exciting for political threads

Anniebach Tue 18-Oct-16 15:52:10

I am scared of heights , can't look down from a first floor window, yet have climbed mountains , lifts are a no no , when having an op as I was wheeled towards the lift I was shaking, the nurse assured me the op would be just fine , I said - sod the op it's that lift blush

Greyduster Tue 18-Oct-16 15:56:52

I don't like roundabouts either, but had a baptism of fire last year when DH had an op as a day case and I had to drive him home across the city at rush hour, negotiating three of the biggest, scariest roundabouts you could never wish to meet. Terrified is not the word and when we got home - unscathed more by luck than good judgement - I was a trembling wreck.

chicken Tue 18-Oct-16 16:17:01

I can't bear going over a footbridge with gaps between the planks where you can see the area beneath, and when I went round HMS Victory I was horrified to find that halfway round we had to walk over a part of the deck that was totally transparent glass. Luckily, my good friend was with me, and she guided me over it while I screwed my eyes tight shut!( There was no option to retrace your steps, so if she hadn't been with me, I would still be there today.)

ninathenana Tue 18-Oct-16 16:23:10

Fortunately motorways, multi stories and roundabouts don't phase me.
However, I don't do parallel parking. (I was never taught) . I've never been through a car wash and I don't like suspended balconies or wobbly things that are high up

TwiceAsNice Tue 18-Oct-16 16:27:40

I am with you over the glass floor chicken there was one in the tower in Toronto and I just couldn't make myself do it. I won't use self service petrol pumps or checkouts in the supermarket, when staff try to make me I reply I am paying to be served! I'm ok with roundabouts and cable cars . I also don't like cash points I'm always convinced I'll lose my card

janeainsworth Tue 18-Oct-16 16:46:53

Chicken I am the same about bridges with planks.
It dates back to coming home from Sunday School and one if the boys would dare us all to cross what was known as the Monkey Bridge. It went over a railway and goods yard and you could see the rails between the gaps in the planks. It seemed to go on for miles and I was terrified. shock I still dislike footbridges.

annodomini Tue 18-Oct-16 16:51:17

Getting up on a step ladder to change a light bulb is something I find intimidating nowadays. I may soon be in the dark!