Gransnet forums

Chat

Simple task scares you?

(118 Posts)
shysal Tue 18-Oct-16 12:14:37

There are several of these for me. It took me months before I plucked up the courage to serve myself and pay by card at the local unmanned petrol station. It couldn't be simpler!
Things I have not yet achieved include:
Inflating tyres at the petrol station.
Selling on Ebay (I buy all the time).
Going through a car wash.
Negotiating some junctions where I have seen accidents or near misses. I use longer routes to avoid the area.

What situations do you avoid?

tanith Wed 19-Oct-16 22:31:49

OH says he wasn't taught either Charleygirl although he can. I'm wondering seeing as there are a few of us who can't whether Parallel parking was actually taught when most of us were being taught?

Legs55 Wed 19-Oct-16 22:52:45

Motorway driving, never liked it even when I passed my test at 17, last resort really for me - has any-one tried M25 round Heathrow !!!

Severely claustrophobic - MRI Scans (had 3, only in up to chest), the thought brings me out in cold sweats. Lifts as I was stuck in one but preferable to going down an escalator hmm

Heights, can't even get one rung up a ladder (used to climb trees, ladders) but I did London Eye despite my worst nightmare being heights & water - I loved it confused

Multi-storey car parks, it's not the parking it's a safety issue when I'm on my own.

Country roads - I just love them, where I live there are some lovely single track & narrow roads although I do avoid them during the Summer (& other holiday times) due to "tourists" who don't know how to drive on them & panic when they meet another car !! smile

pamhill4 Wed 19-Oct-16 23:20:53

Rope bridges, heights, cliff edges, glass floors. Otherwise I'll give most things in life a go even just once- tried rock-climbing and paragliding even though I was sooo scared my knees were literally jumping with fright! Doesn't stop the fears as I'd hoped but fingers crossed

Lupin Thu 20-Oct-16 02:54:52

Escalators for me too Lindiann. I'm alright going up but coming down, particularly if there's a short run in,I feel a frisson of fear every time. Years ago when I was pregnant I just couldn't do it. I am also useless with heights. I went up into a friends loft to see the conversion going on. The stairway had no sides or rails and I had to come down backwards. Once again I'd gone up ok but stepping into the void I cannot do.

shysal Thu 20-Oct-16 09:25:44

I printed this off ages ago and have a copy in the glove box. However, I still avoid parallel parking unless it is a huge gap.
home.bt.com/lifestyle/motoring/motoring-features/six-secrets-to-perfect-parking-11363939907563

Rosieroe Thu 20-Oct-16 09:57:42

Banks, and particularly online banking scares me. It's something that I can't avoid, but it terrifies me that I will make a mistake.

tanith Thu 20-Oct-16 10:04:32

I just thought of one more, I'm always scared to book flights online, and find myself checking over and over the dates and times and correct airport. If my daughter and I are booking something together we both sit in front of the computer and hold our breath before pressing send/purchase..grin

Rosieroe Thu 20-Oct-16 10:07:23

the first time I went out in the car on my own after passing my test all those years ago I confidently drove into a vacant parking space. I'd just got out of the car when a couple came along and we found out that I'd parked too close to them and the man (driver) couldn't get into his car. He politely asked me to move my car to let him in and I was so nervous I admitted that I'd just passed my test and now realized that I hadn't learned how to park and asked him to move it for me! He agreed to move my car and parked it straight. We had to laugh though as he then asked me who my instructor had been as his wife wanted to learn to drive. After that incident I practised my parking skills until I could do it properly. I don't have a problem with parallel parking either.

Corncob Thu 20-Oct-16 10:39:29

I have a lot the same as you girls. I still remember trying to parallel park in the high street as wanted to hire a video for my sons. I only had a Minnie and was going back and forth etc. When I finally managed it a lot of people came out of the video shop laughing and applauding me,I was too embarrassed to go in to get a film lol.

Daisyanswerdo Thu 20-Oct-16 12:05:07

I used to be frightened of putting air in my tyres, but for the last 7 months I've done it once a month. Still rather dread it, but every time doing it makes it easier.

Walking over glass floors - that's another matter. I promised myself I'd do it when I took my gd to the Spinnaker Tower in Portsmouth - but could I? I recently climbed 279 steps to the top of a church tower for the view, but when I got there I clung to the doorpost, unable to move.

I lived in Cambridge for 20 years so I had to learn to parallel park. My son taught me a very useful system, which I find hard to describe. I'll have to write it down next time I do it.

Spiders . . . again, I have to cope, and I can't hurt them, but they do horrify me.

thatbags Thu 20-Oct-16 12:40:48

I was worried about having a smear test done by the mother of one of Minibags's primary school friends who only relatively recently gained her nursing qualification. I used to bump inot her to-ing and fro-ing and we'd have chats about how her training was going. I had thr smear test this morning. She, being a sensitive soul, asked me if I'd rather rearrange the appointment and have someone else, but she's so lovely and chattered away in such a pleasant Irish way that I overcame my silly embarassment (why is it worse now than it was thirty years ago when I didn't give a damn who (that is, which medic) saw my undercarriage?). She gave me one of the least uncomfortable 'scrapings' I've ever had! I told her I was glad I'd had her, then we exchanged news about daughters. smile

grandmaz Thu 20-Oct-16 12:40:53

Jane10 - a friend suggested that I use my mobile phone camera to photograph the meter reading. I now do this and keep keep electricity gas and water meter 'readings' safely in an online album, in case of dispute.

Works for me smile

Jane10 Thu 20-Oct-16 13:21:13

Thanks grandmaz. We have an odd meter that flicks between 3 different readings. I have to capture the right reading for the right meter number. So its possible to assign the wrong numbers to the wrong meter number.
However, I just did it again and it seems ok. Only problem is that although I'm £100+ in credit the company want to increase my direct debit. That's my next most loathed task -trying to get through to then discuss the situation with a utility company! Aaargh.

hulahoop Thu 20-Oct-16 13:27:32

Spiders
Going down escalators the stepping on bit I hate
Heights
Busy roundabouts
Wish I had more confidence ?

chicken Thu 20-Oct-16 15:47:13

Thank you Shysal for that link. I've printed it off and shall do some practise in a quiet road when there are no workmen around to laugh!

Lindajoy Thu 20-Oct-16 16:46:35

Piers where you can see the sea through the planks, lifts, anything wobbly and definitely not glass floors! There is a glass floor over an old well in a local museum and I just can't bear to walk on it! Also self serve automated checkouts and the machines our post office has installed for posting letters and parcels. I want to be served!

Lona Thu 20-Oct-16 16:59:34

jane10 grandmaz I've just had to read my meter (newish flat, different meter type) and mine had three numbers which change. I snapped them and put them in a file because the email didn't make sense to me.
Better to be safe than sorry ?