Gransnet forums

Chat

Pope is anti granny

(80 Posts)
Galen Tue 25-Nov-14 18:39:42

I'm very upset to hear the pope describe Europe as being like a grandmother. Haggard, infertile and lacking in vitality!

How dare he!

pompa Tue 25-Nov-14 18:41:37

LMAO - He needs to come on here for a while "Haggard, infertile and lacking in vitality!" WOW how far from the truth can you get.

Riverwalk Tue 25-Nov-14 18:43:09

I was startled when I heard that on the radio - assumed I'd misheard! shock

MiceElf Tue 25-Nov-14 18:44:10

I think we should all Tweet @Pontifex and tell him his analogy is pants. Little boy pants at that.

But - the message of the rest of his speech was excellent.

GrannyTwice Tue 25-Nov-14 18:48:06

Oh dear - ageist and sexist - what about the grandfathers?

Galen Tue 25-Nov-14 18:48:28

I trust GNHQ will send a formal protest note to the English papal legate to forward to the Vatican?

thatbags Tue 25-Nov-14 18:49:56

I hope his granny biffs him in a bad dream tonight.

pompa Tue 25-Nov-14 18:50:50

I would prefer GNHQ to invite him to join us and air his views on the forum. He would have a quick re-think of his views on our grans.

Mishap Tue 25-Nov-14 18:52:49

Good idea pompa - mind you he would probably assume that you are a woman because of the feminine ending to your name!

merlotgran Tue 25-Nov-14 19:00:53

The best bit about being infertile is you're no longer haggard and lacking in vitality. grin

Silly man.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 25-Nov-14 19:05:10

shock !!!

Does he know me personally?!

NfkDumpling Tue 25-Nov-14 19:14:56

What would he know - he's only a pope.

trisher Tue 25-Nov-14 19:15:58

The quote is "In many quarters we encounter a general impression of weariness and aging, of a Europe which is now a "grandmother", no longer fertile and vibrant"
And this from an ancient, celibate, out-dated, prelate living a cloistered life in a male dominated institution!
We may not be fertile, we may have aged, but we are not weary, and we are vibrant. He obviously doesn't know many grandmothers!

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 25-Nov-14 19:18:43

Yes. Well. If he comes round my house he will experience an impression of weariness and ageing. [shrug]

And if he came before coffee time the haggard bit would be spot on too.

Agus Tue 25-Nov-14 19:19:36

How very dare he shock

Sounds like he was describing a stereotype which is only in his head!

Mishap Tue 25-Nov-14 19:21:31

He's not anti-granny - he's just out of touch.

pompa Tue 25-Nov-14 19:22:54

JBF, I don't recognise your description of yourself or any Gran on here, maybe we feel that way occasionally, but never in reality.
After his comment, i think he would get lively reception.

Rosannie Tue 25-Nov-14 19:39:00

Maybe his message got lost in translation. What could he have really meant to say?

MiceElf Tue 25-Nov-14 19:46:49

Francis spoke about the centrality of human dignity and deplored the response of Europe to immigrants. He said that we should not allow the Med to become a graveyard.

It was a sober and thoughtful speech with excellent points. Sadly, his unfortunate analogy has brought forth outrage and taken away from his message.

MiceElf Tue 25-Nov-14 19:48:14

Carrie, would you like to issue an invitation to +++ Francis?

rosequartz Tue 25-Nov-14 19:52:05

'Grandma' seems to be the latest derogatory term. I was very cross the other morning when I heard a young man on the TV talking about computer coding and that he thought that everyone should learn.
He said that courses have been designed that 'even your Grandmother could understand'.
I thought 'I'll have you know, you young whippersnapper, that I was doing a COBOL course before you were even thought of!'.

However, I do hope I am not still fertile. The thought of another baby at 70 fills me with horror not joy.

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 25-Nov-14 19:52:42

Well how VERY dare he. Right that's it, we'll have to educate him. Webchat it is... <watch out Pope Francis>

Riverwalk Tue 25-Nov-14 19:54:37

I'm sure the Pope is far too important to come onto GN shock

Can't see him in Gransnet Towers scoffing cake and photographed with a copy of Modern Granny or whatever it's called. grin

MiceElf Tue 25-Nov-14 19:55:24

Thank you Lucy.

But - can someone post a link to the entire speech, I can't seem to do it on my new iPad.

And now we've all got over our outrage let's discuss the way in which European nations treat immigrants.

Riverwalk Tue 25-Nov-14 19:58:29

Pope's speech