Gransnet forums

Education

Dyslexia and spelling

(28 Posts)
tanith Sat 24-Jan-15 15:36:21

My granddaughter is newly diagnosed with Dyslexia and I just wonder if anyone can advise me what I could buy her to help especially with spelling, is there a dictionary for dyslexics for instance? I've looked on Amazon but do wonder if what they have there would be good for her as you can't seem to 'look inside' like you can with other books..
She is 10yrs by the way... any advise would be welcome. We are trying not to make a 'big thing' about it as I'm sure she will cope well and adapt her way of learning as many others do I just want her to have whatever I can get her to make it easier.

pinkprincess Mon 08-Jun-15 01:03:47

My DS2 who is 43 is dyslexic.

He had terrible trouble at primary school with reading and writing, at one stage he was even described as unteachable in these subjects.
His writing was either a complete jumble of words and letters which only he could understand or mirror writing when he would go from the right to left of the page and letters the wrong way round.I was told the reason for his mirror writing was because he was left handed!
School refused to accept he was dyslexic I don't think they had heard f the word.
He left primary school barely able to read.When he got to secondary school he was still given no help and the results were that he often played truant as some of his classmates described him as ''A Spacker'' which is a local word for mentally defective.
He was brilliant at some other subjects like Maths and Art but his frequent truancy stopped him from getting good reports and he failed his GCSEs because he he did not turn up to take them.
He did manage to get to train as a motor mechanic aa he had a passion for cars.He passed his driving test first time at 17 and worked for a time as a driving instructor.
He still has problems today, he needs help filling in official forms due to his poor spelling and although he can read it is only subjects he is interested in.He never reads a normal fiction book for example.
On the plus side he is very good at working with his hands and has a photographic memory.He has the ability to memorise places by the colour of the door and position of the building rather by the street or number eg.the road street one turn to the left/right, second road along four doors to the right coloured red.

Grandma2213 Mon 08-Jun-15 01:26:11

I had the privilege to work with children who had dyslexia (Specific Learning Difficulties) and I often discussed famous people who had the same gift. Google 'famous dyslexics' and you will be amazed to find a diverse list of successful people like Leonardo da Vinci, Richard Branson, Noel Gallagher, Cher etc etc. One or more of these may inspire a dyslexic pupil depending upon their personal interests.